Sponsored

V8 bronco

V8 Bronco, what would you be willing to pay?

• Total voters

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
How much would you be willing to pay for a V8 in the Bronco? Honest assessment needed for data.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I voted 35k. I'm just not that much of an SUV person that I'm going to spend a ton of money on one. I'd rather have a better sporty car and drive a beater on the snowiest days then spend so much on an SUV that I can't afford a good car for the nice days. I realize that Ford is probably going to want 40-50k for a big Bronco, based on their pricing for existing SUVs.

I don't really want a big Bronco, though. I'd really love to see Ford make a Bronco like the original - simple, available with very few features and a V8 engine crammed into a small vehicle. I don't care about solid axles or terrific off road capability. I would want it to drive well, sound good and get me through deep snow.

However, if the Bronco doesn't have a V8 I probably won't buy one no matter how low the price is. Well, maybe in 5-10 years I would buy a used one...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It depends on what it will finally look like.

The Bronco was as iconic as the Mustang - and any modern day Bronco MUST remain as a 2-door utility as it was before it was discontinued.

It can’t look like a 4-door Edge, Expedition, Escape, Explorer, Ecosport or a damn Flex.

It HAS to retain the body and brute look of a Bronco - anything other than that iconic look is not and won’t be a Bronco at all. It also must come with the 5.0 Coyote OR a match to the old 351 - whether supercharged or not. It should have the removable rear cap, which was it’s specific trait that everyone loved.

I owned a 1987 and a 1994 5.0 Bronco, they were the most reliable trucks and could be modified as easily as a Mustang. The aftermarket for the Bronco is as large as the Mustang following. They were the definitive 4x4 “all terrain” vehicle of its day; I never had any issues in extreme weather (feet of snow) or managing trail/off road driving.

If the new Bronco is anything but a Bronco, it would be disheartening to the iconic history and the many Enthusiasts who still own, restore and daily drive the originals.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
More than likely zero chance of v8.

It will be 2.7 or 3.5 EB....maybe even the 2.3 with a 2.7 premium model.

Which is a shame but the way it is currently. Perhaps if they did an ST/RS variant that had one that would be pretty cool.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Voted 40-45. Just me being honest, I don't know if I would feel comfortable spending more than 50K on a vehicle other than a "special" vehicle

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
depends on how much power it makes.
I think my explorer sport msrp was 53k, but I didn't pay that. I'd pay up to 5 or 8 more for a v8

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
In addition to Hack's and Cobra Jet's comments, which are spot on (although I'm somewhat flexible on powerplant, but would prefer a V8), I'll add something: Ford needs to NOT price it too high.

I'm a Jeep guy currently and DD my fourth Wrangler, a '13 Sahara 2-door. Pricing on the new JL is absurd. Building a JL 2-door the way I want it (in essence a JL version of what I currently drive) cracks $50K. Not happening, Jeep. They are pricing themselves beyond the reach of their core audience.

Ford could kick the legs out from under Wrangler if they build an equally appealing vehicle for less.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
BmacIL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
In addition to Hack's and Cobra Jet's comments, which are spot on (although I'm somewhat flexible on powerplant, but would prefer a V8), I'll add something: Ford needs to NOT price it too high.

I'm a Jeep guy currently and DD my fourth Wrangler, a '13 Sahara 2-door. Pricing on the new JL is absurd. Building a JL 2-door the way I want it (in essense a JL version of what I currently drive) cracks $50K. Not happening, Jeep. They are pricing themselves beyond the reach of their core audience.

Ford could kick the legs out from under Wrangler if they build an equally appealing vehicle for less.....
As a Jeep guy, what would you want the Bronco to have/do that would make you purchase over a Wrangler (let's say the Wrangler was priced better, for sake of argument)?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Put a 5.0 in the Bronco and sign me up for one assuming it looks a performs good.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
IMO don't do the Bronco at all unless it has a V8. And then Ford you can even do a Bronco RS as a higher option. Focus RS, Edge RS, Bronco RS and the various Mustangs, GT350, GT500. That would be a helluva line up.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
As a Jeep guy, what would you want the Bronco to have/do that would make you purchase over a Wrangler (let's say the Wrangler was priced better, for sake of argument)?
In no order of importance, just a list as they tumble out of my head-cold-fevered brain:

1. I’ve always been more of a Ford guy than a Chrysler/Jeep guy since I’ve had far better luck with my Fords over time. In terms of quality and problems, my last two Jeeps (JKs) have been less than stellar. And I don’t abuse mine like some guys do. Anyway, a little Ford fanboyism applies here.

2. The look of the classic Bronco. Period. I’ve always wanted one and have been excited to buy a modernized one new since plans to build one surfaced. If the new Bronco isn’t a throwback in looks and isn’t offered in a 2-door, it’ll never be as big a hit as it could be in my opinion. Granted, 4-door Wranglers sell better than the 2-doors, which I believe is because of the whole throwback angle (I'd rather have a Grand Cherokee if forced into 4 doors), but Jeep still sells a load of 2-doors. It has to be somewhat retro, and a 2-door option is mandatory or I'd rather have an Explorer.

3. Somewhat better road manners would be nice, meaning maybe stick axles aren’t the answer. However, this is blasphemy to the Jeep crowd. When the JL was in development there were rumors of IFS and the mention of it caused mental trauma to some. The great thing about a properly designed stick axle suspension is that it’s incredibly durable and articulates well.

4. Better fit and finish is huge. The JKs were/are built like a 20-year-old Kia inside. As I understand it, there’s a number of grumbles about the JL too.

5. Painted fenders need to be available on all models. Nothing screams cheap like the black ATV-like plastic fenders on a lesser Wrangler, although the hardcore don’t care because off-roader.

6. The top has to come off, whether it’s hardtop or ragtop.

7. One thing that’s great about Jeeps is the semi-ala carte of optioning one. There are small packages, but you can set up a Wrangler nicely without having to order some hugely expensive package to get one thing you want.

Back to the cost aspect, I ordered my ’13 Sahara with leather and every option but the touchscreen radio and IIRC it stickered for a tick over $35K. I balked at it, but bought it anyway since I love them and they have stellar resale. They dropped the Sahara 2-door with the JL (dumb move, IMO), so when building my dream Jeep with painted fenders and roof the only option is a Rubicon and as I said the cost for a similarly equipped 2-door balloons over $50K. Even a fairly spartan Sport (base model) breaks $40K with ease. That’s an insane bump in so few model years for what I feel is an evolutionary vehicle; it’s not like going from a TJ (had two of them) to a JK which was revolutionary to a degree. Cost is the #1 thing that’s keeping some away from a JL, and I hope Ford is benchmarking Wrangler hard in this respect. They could get a lot of conquest sales, including me. I’m probably 4-5 years from my next DD, and after seeing the Jeep greed evident with the JL (it's their cash cow) I’m thinking about another 4x4 pickup since I can order what I want and pocket around $10K versus the JL. Or buy that Bronco, but only if it’s very competitive with Wrangler.

One thing Ford needs to understand is the near-fanatical following that Jeep Wranglers have. I’m on a couple of forums for them and it’s wild at times – but I believe the same thing would happen with Bronco if Ford knocked it out of the park. They have to nail this thing.

Last edited:

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
I owned a '94 Bronco with a 351 and loved it. Had it 11 years and put 160K on it. Would love to have another. Heck, if Ford offered the Explorer in a GT(4WD) version with the Coyote I'd have bought that instead of my Mustang.

WVMtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I’d probably trade in my mustang if it looks like the renders on Bronco6g. I don’t think Ford can go wrong with the 2.7 ecoboost, 3.0 power stroke or a v8. Hopefully the 7spd manual is offered with ALL engine choices.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There’s really no reason or excuse as to why the new Bronco wouldn’t be a 2-door only... Ford already has the 4-door variety SUV locked in with every SUV in their current product line... enough with the 4-door utility already.

The Bronco must retain its roots:
1) 2-door
2) Removable cap
3) flip down tailgate (not a must, but that type of rear access was great for parking and chillin off the back of the truck)
4) 33” or larger tires
5) 4x4... sure everyone does the “AWD” crap now, but 4x4 is Bronco lingo :)
6) Coyote option... I mean seriously, a Bronco isn’t a Bronco without a V8... if the Coyote is never going to be an option, then it has to have a decent power plant to not only have some fun on the highway, but also be able to tow anything behind it.
7) Offer it in two-tone body colors as the prior models
8) Offer optional full rubberized floor as the 87-96 models, not everyone wants carpet
Sponsored