CompetitionMotorsport

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
competitionmotorsport.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Competition Motorsport would like to introduce our newest roll bar product: the CMS Performance Roll Bar for the Shelby GT500 (and other current Mustang coupes). It is a bolt-in four-point roll bar made from Docol R8 advanced high-strength steel (AHSS), fully TIG welded to make it as strong, safe, and light as possible. CMS professionally powder coats each roll bar to your specification -- any color you like, including color-matched Mustang colors! -- and ships anywhere in the lower 48, all included in the price. We've been building bolt-in roll bars for years for the Porsche market -- GT3, GT3RS, Cayman GT4 and 987 Cayman -- and with the arrival of our GT350, we wanted to use the expertise we've gained building roll bars and race cars to create a premium product for the GT500, GT350/350R, and S550.

Fitment is guaranteed to be drop-in. We can't stand having to wrestle roll bars into cars, so we've perfected our manufacturing to the point where everything lines up perfectly. Installation takes a couple guys two to three hours. You can check out the instructions HERE.

We build all our roll bars (and race car chassis for that matter) out of Docol R8, an advanced high-strength steel that is 10-15% stronger than 4130 CrMo and about 40% stronger than mild DOM steel used in a lot of roll bars. Docol R8 doesn't crack under impact and doesn't get brittle at the welds like 4130. All of that lets us use 1.75" x .095" tubing to bring down weight while maintaining superior strength, impact absorption, rigidity, and longevity. As a result, the CMS GT350 roll bar weighs just 52 lbs. despite using all 1-3/4" tubing for a beefy look befitting the GT500.

As an introductory offer, from now through October 17, Mustang6G members get $300 off a CMS Performance Roll Bar. You can PM us for details or give us a call at (844) 438-7244. Just mention you saw us on Mustang6G!

Here are a couple photos (in Race Red and Deep Impact Blue) to give you an idea (there are more at competitionmotorsport.com):
GT350_Roll_Bar_Red_Front1.jpg
GT350_Roll_Bar_Install_1.jpg
GT350_Roll_Bar_DeepImpactBlue_Front2.jpg
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
one thing that I like about the Watson roll cage is the rear arms attach to the beam in the trunk area. Which structural member does the rear supports attach on your roll cage?

full.jpg

OP
OP
CompetitionMotorsport

CompetitionMotorsport

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
one thing that I like about the Watson roll cage is the rear arms attach to the beam in the trunk area. Which structural member does the rear supports attach on your roll cage?

full.jpg
The CMS bar attaches over the corner where the rear seat studs and child seat bracket bosses are, using the existing hole/stud. The strength comes from the corner and the reinforcements for the seat/child seat attachments. We found that to be a better location for two reasons: first, attaching to the rear cross-member was more difficult for the installer; second, in an impact the primary forces on the bolts and sheet metal in the trunk would be in shear, not in compression, making that a less-than-ideal arrangement in our view. It's not bad -- we don't throw shade at others' products -- just explaining why we made the decision we made.

By comparison, we chose not to attach the main hoop to existing sheet metal holes, preferring to go through the high-strength steel crossmember beneath the rear seat. (That's why we include heavy-duty Cobalt drill bits with every roll bar -- they go through the HSS like butter.) Using Grade-8 through bolts/nuts, this is the most secure mounting for the main hoop in our estimation.

Here's a photo of the reinforced corner on which the CMS kickers sit. In an impact, predicted load through the kickers into the chassis is primarily compression, and the corner gives strength while also allowing for some deformation (i.e., impact absorption).

GT350_Install_6A.jpg

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
Love the red, I'm in the market for a cage, I'll take a look over yours :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CompetitionMotorsport

CompetitionMotorsport

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Love the red, I'm in the market for a cage, I'll take a look over yours :thumbsup:
Sounds great, if you have any questions or comments at all, don't hesitate to ask/offer them. If you want to ask in person, you can reach us at (844) 438-7244, ask for Pete as he's our engineering VP and can answer any and all questions.

Sponsored

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Grabber Blue, black roof

full.jpg

Here's a shot of mine. On the R you use 2 bolts as there is no existing stud.
20181013_142934.jpg
20181014_203257.jpg
20181014_203333.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
20181013_142934.jpg
20181014_203257.jpg
20181014_203333.jpg
Are those bolts attaching to a structural beam for support? I have seen photos of the rear supports on other bars punch right through the sheet metal. I'd look, but I figure you'd know since you just installed yours.

Thanks.

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are those bolts attaching to a structural beam for support? I have seen photos of the rear supports on other bars punch right through the sheet metal. I'd look, but I figure you'd know since you just installed yours.

Thanks.
They go through the hardened steel channel. You drill the 4 front and 4 rear holes then the supplied bolts mate the bar to the support channel. If you zoom into the picture you can see the rear 4 bolts.
20181014_203214.jpg

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
20181013_142934.jpg
20181014_203257.jpg
20181014_203333.jpg
Don't have an R or even a GT350, but looking for one of these for my GT. For the rear on your R where there is not an existing stud, is the hole threaded or did you have to put a nut on the underside? Mostly asking because I am trying to get a better understanding of the strength of this mounting area from your first hand experience!

Sponsored

HR213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't have an R or even a GT350, but looking for one of these for my GT. For the rear on your R where there is not an existing stud, is the hole threaded or did you have to put a nut on the underside? Mostly asking because I am trying to get a better understanding of the strength of this mounting area from your first hand experience!
Glad to help. On the standard GT3350's and GT's there is a stud and a bolt into a threaded hole as shown in this image. Nothing on the backside needed. The strength of this area seams very strong.
GT350_Install_6A.jpg

OP
OP
CompetitionMotorsport

CompetitionMotorsport

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've attached a couple photos of a CMS roll bar in Avalanche Gray with our newly-redesigned harness hoops. We wanted to make them a more integral part of the overall design instead of the more typical hoops made of 1/4" rod. We think they look cool! Let us know what you think!
GT350_Roll_Bar_Avalanche_Gray_1.jpg
GT350_Roll_Bar_Avalanche_Gray_2.jpg

Tish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT coupe
Well after looking at the different options available I decided to order this rollbar for my 2019 GT yesterday.In the past I have used standard 4pt + 6pt rollbars from autopower which always fit great but this time I decided that since I was doing a rear seat delete this bar would give me the best of both worlds and alow mw to return the car to stock when needed.I look forward to getting it and installing it after the newyear and will post my impressions.Thanks to Pete who answered all my questions about his product.

OP
OP
CompetitionMotorsport

CompetitionMotorsport

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well after looking at the different options available I decided to order this rollbar for my 2019 GT yesterday.In the past I have used standard 4pt + 6pt rollbars from autopower which always fit great but this time I decided that since I was doing a rear seat delete this bar would give me the best of both worlds and alow mw to return the car to stock when needed.I look forward to getting it and installing it after the newyear and will post my impressions.Thanks to Pete who answered all my questions about his product.
Ted, thank you very much, we're looking forward to seeing a Sapphire Blue bar installed in your car! Cheers!
Sponsored