Sponsored

Body Size and Visibility Differences - From a 2013 Camaro SS

Party Rock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I used to have a 2013 Camaro 1SS. While the body style and V8 power was great, unfortunately I did not enjoy driving it because the visibility and blind spots were horrible. The body of the Camaro felt big and to me it felt like I was driving a tank. I also didn't like the fact that the chair sat too low, which made the dash feel high (I'm 5'6 so I'm short). The front hood was long and high was well, so it was hard for me to judge distance in front of me when parking. It didn't have a great turning radius when it came to moving around in tight spaces like small parking lots and narrow streets. It didn't come with a backup camera, so that made things worse. Parallel parking this beast was a nightmare. I was told from other Camaro owners that "you will get used to the size of the Camaro" and "you will get used to it's blind spots even though the back pillar is so huge," and to "use your mirrors" But in the end, it was not for me.

So I sold the Camaro and bought a 2015 Subaru STI. I know the Camaro and STI are different vehicles, but with the STI the visibility was great, and it felt light and nimble. I should mention that the cars that I had before were Imports, so it felt very familiar in terms of car size. However, I was missing that V8 power that I loved in the Camaro.

I recently test drove a 2018 Mustang GT Automatic 10 speed. I loved the body style and that V8 power! As far as I can tell, it almost has that same front hood that was long and high (but not as high) like the 2013 Camaro. I believe even the length and width almost felt the same as the Camaro. The one thing I did notice was the visibility was better than the Camaro, but not as good as my Subaru STI. But when I test drove the 2018 Mustang GT, it did not feel as bulky as the Camaro for some reason. However, it's hard to make a full determination from a quick 15 minute test drive, so I wanted to get your opinion.

I understand that the Mustang is a muscle car and it's going to have a big body. However, I don't want to have a bad driving experience like what I had with the Camaro. These questions goes out to any former 5th Generation Camaro owners, or even those who came from Imports or any sport compact car:

How do you feel about the body size and visibility of the Mustang?
Do you feel that the Mustang is too wide to drive, heavy, and bulky?
Do you find it difficult to drive through downtown city areas and parallel parking the Mustang?
How did you get used to driving a bigger car like the Mustang?

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Interesting first post.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
How do you feel about the body size and visibility of the Mustang?
It's a big car but you can see where you are quite well. With the base mirrors you can set them to not have any blind spots in traffic. Backing out of parking spots is probably one of the only situations you notice you're in sports coupe, from a lack of visibility perspective. Compared to the 5th and 6th gen Camaro there is a TON more glass and much better visibility.

Do you feel that the Mustang is too wide to drive, heavy, and bulky?
Simply: no. A little bit of suspension/chassis mods goes a LONG way to making this car feel tight and nimble (though still big).

Do you find it difficult to drive through downtown city areas and parallel parking the Mustang?
Not at all. I've driven through downtown Chicago often. Parallel parking is easy: tilt the passenger mirror down to see the tire and do it like any other car. Back-up camera helps with gap to car behind.

How did you get used to driving a bigger car like the Mustang?
It comes quickly. Just drive.

Reactions: A7X

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I can certainly comment- as I have had a Gen 5 2011 Camaro SS, a Gen 6 2017 Camaro RS and now a 2018 Mustang GT. The visibility in the 2011 SS was not good at all- you do sit lower and it is very difficult to see over the hood, judge the corners and the worst part was rearward visibility, changing lanes you have a complete blind spot. I had to have the seat positioned as high up as I could and still it was difficult. The 2017 was a big improvement. The hood is lower and you sit up a little higher. I still had to have the seat positioned as high up as possible. The visibility and blind spots out the back are rear corners are the same though. Driving on the highway you are completely blind if you turn your head- the pillars are there and you can’t see. You have to drive very carefully and watch your review constantly.

Now the 2018 GT is worlds better. You have much better visibility out of the front hood and you sit up higher and have better visibility all around in general. But the big difference is rearward visibility- it is so much better. And the rear quarter windows are functional- your can turn your head and double check if someone is in your blind spot. It is much more pleasurable and easier to drive in traffic and on the highway. I traded in my Camaro for other reason (transmission issue) and could have lived with the visibility challenge but the Mustang is just so much better.

Now I also had a 2016 WRX too. And I agree, it had the better visibility even over the Mustang- and it was also lighter and more “tossable” and nimble in the corners. The front end especially is way lighter than the GT and you can feel the GT being heavier. But the GT has the power and sound and does not have that horrible rev hang I experienced in the WRX. I did not want to invest in the Cobb Ap and void the warranty to eliminate the rev hang and I needed a cheaper and better MPG commuter so I cashed it in and got a Fiesta ST. But I have to say I really like my 18 GT, 6 speed manual- I like it way better than either Camaro and the WRX. I don’t get the MPG I got in the WRX or in my current Fiesta ST but it gets a very respectable 25 MPG average- almost as much as my Camaro V6 and way better than the 11 SS, which got only 16- and it required 93 octane too.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....I understand that the Mustang is a muscle car and it's going to have a big body......
Yeah, interesting first post. Evidently Mustangs are muscle cars now, and should have big bodies.

What's that make a Camaro?

Last edited:

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....I also had a 2016 WRX too....it was also lighter and more “tossable” and nimble in the corners. The front end especially is way lighter than the GT and you can feel the GT being heavier....
Base suspension GTs, they're a front-heavy, plowing car. Get a PP1 or PP2 car, it fixes that.

OP, go test drive a Performance Pack Level 1 car, and see the difference in the feel/lightness of the car's front end.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The one thing I did notice was the visibility was better than the Camaro, but not as good as my Subaru STI.
You're just not going to get as wide a field of view out of any ponycar or true sports car as you will out of a sport sedan. But even that is somewhat subjective, as long as it's not too difficult to see overhead traffic lights.

But when I test drove the 2018 Mustang GT, it did not feel as bulky as the Camaro for some reason. However, it's hard to make a full determination from a quick 15 minute test drive, so I wanted to get your opinion.

I understand that the Mustang is a muscle car and it's going to have a big body.
There's a good bit of perception involved here - I don't think it's all that many inches bigger in any dimension than your STi - and what you feel is going to be relative to the way you've been sitting in your sedans, with that providing an outward view relative to body and pillar lines that you've come to expect.

However, I don't want to have a bad driving experience like what I had with the Camaro. These questions goes out to any former 5th Generation Camaro owners, or even those who came from Imports or any sport compact car:
Questions from me that don't necessarily need forum answers . . . Do you have much preference for a chair-like seating position? Do you feel that you need to be able to see the pavement up close in front (not where you should be focusing but there is a subliminal feel involved)?

How do you feel about the body size and visibility of the Mustang? Took a week or two to get used to it, coming from a Mazda 626.

Do you feel that the Mustang is too wide to drive, heavy, and bulky? No. Though I had owned a car of generally similar size, weight, and wheelbase previously. At this point, it's the most responsive-handling car in the driveway.

Do you find it difficult to drive through downtown city areas and parallel parking the Mustang? I don't have to do that kind of driving very much any more, but I do encounter conditions where easy maneuverability is a big plus. The Mustang isn't much different from either of the other cars in my sig.

How did you get used to driving a bigger car like the Mustang? Don't really know, it just sort of happened . . . like it has with every other car we've bought.

FWIW, I have driven a 6th gen 1SS Camaro. Didn't find it all that difficult to drive, mostly what I remember from that was that the EPAS steering felt noticeably 'heavier' in track mode relative to my own cars (all hydraulically assisted) while also being less communicative.

Norm

Last edited:

Raven15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Z/28 Camaro
You need to drive both for yourself to know. I've had two 5th gen Camaros and now own a 6th Gen and the two generations are very different and the new Mustang is worlds apart in many ways from the Camaro.

Go drive both cars and make your own decision.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
You've already got some good perspectives on the car. So, I'll leave you with this little bit of info to think about. My wife is 5'2", and absolutely loves her '18 GT convertible. Good luck on your decision, and welcome to the forum.

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
I had a 2010 Camaro SS and now a 2018 mustang GT. To me it's night and day difference. Although similar in weight the GT carries it much better, it doesn't feel nearly as big and heavy as the Camaro did.

To me the Mustang is the perfect mix of my 2 previous cars, 2006 350Z and the Camaro. It has the V8 muscle of the Cmaro (and then some) and the handling and hi redline of the Z. This car is so much fun above 4500 RPM....

Good luck and happy shopping.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I don’t get the MPG I got in the WRX or in my current Fiesta ST but it gets a very respectable 25 MPG average- almost as much as my Camaro V6 and way better than the 11 SS, which got only 16- and it required 93 octane too.
You average 25 mpg in your GT?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I came from driving Hondas, which are built with a great deal of safety in mind, so visibility is about as good as it gets. Drove a friend's Camaro around a parking lot and I also test drove another one on a parking lot. It felt like I was sitting in a hole... hated it. I like low slung cars but only if the dash and window line is properly scaled to the seating position. It didn't take long for me to get used to the Mustang. Though I can't see as well as with the Hondas, it wasn't a terrible change. Parking took more getting used to than anything since the beltline is still higher.

Bullitt1589

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt #1589
Visibility in my Bullitt isn't bad at all, I am paranoid about that long hood and front overhang when parking though. The rear camera/cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring helps a lot with general visibility.

My daily driver is a Chevy Tahoe or a F150 so I'm used to big vehicles anyway.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
Took my kid car shopping Saturday and we picked up a 2019 WRX STI. I have to say I would be hard pressed not to buy one if I was in the market. The rear wheel drive Mustang is probably about useless in Michigan and the Subaru appointments and attention to detail is amazing.

And you really want a Mustang?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
OP is actually looking to get out of an STi, and I sort of understand this. The feel of power delivery aside, going in the other direction - into a WRX/STi, I'd replace either the Legacy or the Maxima in my sig with an STi or a WRX without having to think too hard (understand that at our age we'd rather not have the boy-racer wing), but I wouldn't ever get out of my Mustang for one.

Norm
Sponsored