Sponsored

Steeda S550 Mustang Front Roll Center & Bumpsteer Correction Kit (15-19 All)

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I guess I'm a steeda fan boy!!! Im not worried about the price just the quality and warranty behind the product. I bought a base model so I can upgrade it the way I want too. So far it been all positive using steeda unless someone comes out with a better part.
Hey, I'm really glad Steeda came out with this part. I think it was needed - which is why I am going to do it. Great, great idea by Steeda and I am honestly shocked that no one else has released a part similar to this for the S550.

I am a little annoyed at some of the companies that sell suspension parts (particularly lowering springs) because they tout all of the benefits it provides, but it's not really full disclosure. They don't tell the customer about the negative effects such parts can have UNTIL another part gets released that fixes the problems the other parts caused lol. I'm learning to read between the lines so to speak. Now of course, there ARE ways of compensating for those negative effects, such as increase spring rate and/or bar rates, bumpsteer kit, etc. But I think to a large extent such ways are a band aid to the problem not a fix. And this part appears to be the fix, which is GREAT. Now I haven't tried it yet so I'll have to see. But I see enough information on this to make me think its worth it.

The one main thing I have taken out of my entire suspension modding journey - do not forsake the suspension geometry. This is one of the reasons I switched to springs that do not drop the ride height as much as others.

That being said, these lateral links in conjunction with the bumpsteer kit should get my front end geometry dialed in right (as it would have been from the factory, only better). And I would expect an improvement in the steering stability and feel. The steering response (now I'm getting a little into semantics here) I have no problem with. My steering is tight and responds very quickly. But the stability and steering feel is what needs improvement IMO.
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
No.
Steeda tech
Thanks @SteedaTech, I appreciate the prompt reply.

I will be getting these installed at a shop as they can adjust the bumpsteer tie rods in conjunction with the installation + alignment.

Do you think it would be cheaper for me to just buy the lateral links and the tension links bearings and have the shop remove/replace the bearing? Or would it better overall to just buy the lateral links and tensions link/bearing combo already assembled?

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @SteedaTech, I appreciate the prompt reply.

I will be getting these installed at a shop as they can adjust the bumpsteer tie rods in conjunction with the installation + alignment.

Do you think it would be cheaper for me to just buy the lateral links and the tension links bearings and have the shop remove/replace the bearing? Or would it better overall to just buy the lateral links and tensions link/bearing combo already assembled?
I would buy the complete assembly for piece of mind and if something goes wrong all you have to do is replace the part. Pressing in and out bearings cost more labor time

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I would buy the complete assembly for piece of mind and if something goes wrong all you have to do is replace the part. Pressing in and out bearings cost more labor time
You’re probably right. It’s only $70 difference to buy the full package.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
@SteedaTech

After installing these lateral links do you think I will able to keep my alignment specs the same? Or will I lose the ability to run more negative camber?

I have MM caster/camber plates and here are my current alignment settings:

Front toe: -0.01, -0.02
Front camber: -1.7, -1.7
Caster: 7.6, 7.7

Rear toe: 0.14, 0.14
Rear camber: -1.5, -1.6

I plan to ask for a bit of toe IN on the front, maybe 0.05 per side to promote less twitchy steering. My steering and turn is very quick and responsive, maybe too much so. So I'm thinking a bit of toe in will make it easier to drive.

I am lowered 7/8" front 3/4" rear. Also, is there an ideal caster setting with these lateral links/corrected geometry? I know higher caster promotes high speed stability. Just wondering if there is an ideal caster setting I should target for dynamic alignment and the best results for mimimizing bumpsteer.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
What is the amount in thousandth s that the ball joint stud is extended ?

0.250 , 0.500 , 0.750 , 1.000 . ?

Art_Boy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Blue Mustang GT
After I got my 15 GT, I installed Eibach Pro springs on it. The steering always felt "loose" after installation. I found this thread and contacted Brian @SteedaTech and decided to get the Bumpsteer Kit. Installation was straightforward but got a ball joint removal tool to remove the old parts. While I was at it, I installed the Steeda Sway Bars I bought earlier. After I got the car aligned, there was a bad squealing noise from the front that was caused from the rotor rubbing against the dust shield (easy fix). Took it out for a quick spin and the steering feels a lot tighter and the car is more in touch with the road that I like. I think it was a worthwhile purchase. The only issue I notice now is that the left front tire is pretty worn on the inside edge (probably from a bad alignment the first time) so will need new tires in the future.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT

With a motion ratio near 1:1, the ideal drop is 7/8”, which pairs well with our 555-8246 Steeda S550 Mustang Dual Rate Ultimate Handling Lowering Springs

Thank you
Steeda Tech
That would make sense as it seems to be the consensus that 7/8" is about as low as the S550 should go to get the best CG without screwing up the geometry or running into adjustment limits. That makes this kit perfect for most lowering springs and two popular spring / strut setups.

1. Steeda Dual Rate Ultimate Handling Springs / Pro-action Adjustable Struts
2. BMR SP083 / Ford Performance Track Struts (or Koni Ajudstables).

I'm still deciding on which way I want to go (#1 or #2) next summer...it's a hard choice. I think #2 will have a better balance of ride quality vs. handling, damping and spring rates are darn near identicle to the GT350R factory setup. Throw in a set of bars. But the Steeda setup is going to be faster on a track.

Running more spring and less bar will provide better ultimate grip as bars lift the inside tire. I currently have issues with that very thing and running more bar will likely only make it worse. On high speed corners my inside wheel is loosing grip and spinning. The car is both a track and street car and sees about equal of both use. Anyone have any experience with steeda's Dual Rates on the street? I don't mind a firm ride, but I don't want the car to be breaking teeth or so unbearable I don't enjoy cruising down a back country road. My old 97 Mazda MX-5 M-Edition had a very firm ride, it could be quite choppy on bumpy roads or harsh, but not so much it wasn't enjoyable to cruise in and boy did that thing stick to the road like glue!

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
After I got my 15 GT, I installed Eibach Pro springs on it. The steering always felt "loose" after installation. I found this thread and contacted Brian @SteedaTech and decided to get the Bumpsteer Kit. Installation was straightforward but got a ball joint removal tool to remove the old parts. While I was at it, I installed the Steeda Sway Bars I bought earlier. After I got the car aligned, there was a bad squealing noise from the front that was caused from the rotor rubbing against the dust shield (easy fix). Took it out for a quick spin and the steering feels a lot tighter and the car is more in touch with the road that I like. I think it was a worthwhile purchase. The only issue I notice now is that the left front tire is pretty worn on the inside edge (probably from a bad alignment the first time) so will need new tires in the future.
That's likely due to the geometry being out of whack. My Pilot Sport AS3's on my RTR tech 7's had a about 30k miles on them and the inside shoulder was darn near down to the cords, treads were just at the wear bars, so they were pretty worn, but I've seen others do track sessions and wear them down to the cords. That also explains why both my Ecoboost that they were on previously (Ford Performance Street X Springs, stock base model struts, factory alignment) and my GT (SP080's with stock PP struts and custom alignment) both did that even with a alignments before this kit was out.

Then this past summer I swapped in the original Pirellies / stock PP wheels. The fronts had 5k miles on them from when the car was bone stock, 80% tread, no abnormal inside shoulder wear, all tread was was pretty even. I put another 7k on them with the Pilot Sport AS3's to use on the stock PP wheels as my winter set and the Pirellies inside should was heavily worn as well and was doing the same thing. Mind you I had not done the roll center correction kit yet.

I installed the Roll Center and Bumpsteer Kit + Alignment just before I had the new set of AS3's installed so we'll see how they wear up front with both a corrected geometry and alignment, but it should help substantially. I'm also running MM caster / camber plates but the alignment teck said that using more than -1.4 front camber caused the toe to go out of whack because he couldn't adjust the toe enough...which I thought was odd given I have the bump steer (also it was set nearly perfect by me, he only had to adjust one shim), but that may be a limit of the roll center / bump steer kit with a 1.2" drop in front?

I'm hoping to get a little more camber range with the spring / strut combo I end up with, weather I go with the SP083 / FP Track Strut / GT350R Bar combination or end up with Steeda's Dual Rate / Pro-Action combination on stock PP sway bars. With springs that stiff, for a street / track car I'm not convinced I need 35mm front bars, I'm thinking their hefty springs alone would be sufficient for a dual purpose car and a vast improvement, hopefully also solving that inside wheel spin issue on high speed mid and corner exits.

OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
lateral link S550 ext ball joint.jpg

Great savings on this product during the Black Friday Promotion. Awesome handling upgrade!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Placed my order this morning. Thanks for the great BF savings :thumbsup:
Right on. Let me know your thoughts dude if you get them on before (which you probably will).:beer:

Did you get the full package with the tension links and bearing? That is what I ended up doing.

I have them in hand, haven't even opened the box yet lol.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Right on. Let me know your thoughts dude if you get them on before (which you probably will).:beer:

Did you get the full package with the tension links and bearing? That is what I ended up doing.

I have them in hand, haven't even opened the box yet lol.
I’ll let you know for sure bud. I’m travelling alot right now for work but should have them in before the new year.

I ordered the full kit too, but did bushings instead of the bearings. From what I read the bushings are an upgrade to the PP bits so I’m looking forward to the new feel from those and the extended ball joints. I guess we shall see! For sure let me know what you think of yours too,

-Mike
Sponsored