Sponsored

Suggestions for track prepping for SCCA?

Jones3jd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIP Premium GT PP
I am interested in taking my car to the track for some beginner fun. For this first round it would be more about going faster in a safe environment and enjoying my car. I am not looking to push the car to the limits or anything

I am wondering what are the basics I need to prepare?

2016 GT Premium PP MT82
20x10 wheels with Nitto NT555 (275 front/295 rears)
BMR SP080 lowering springs
Roush Axelbacks

Obviously I know this is not ideal. Just looking for some suggestions for someone that will probably only track the car once per year.
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
The truth is that as a beginner you should not need anything other than a certified helmet and patience to pay attention in the driver meetings and classes.

Take it easy and learn the course and enjoy the hell out of it. I've been there three times myself. First time was with a 2011 GT manual that I did nothing special to prepare and it did great.

I found that you will need to lower your tire pressures as they rise 6-10 degrees depending on conditions which will make them slippery (were all season tires to boot!).

If you decide to keep doing it you will obviously need other upgrades (pads, brake fluid, diff cooling, etc).

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
CMP is a fun track. You get a little bit of everything there except blind apexes which is a good thing when starting out. Going through the Kink flat out provides an elevated pucker factor and is not for a beginner in a street car. Good luck, have fun and be safe.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
If you go to a track get the insurance. Check out the thread in the roadcourse section if u don't think you need it. If u want to save money try auto x, significantly cheaper than hpde. Most auto x courses shouldn't need insurance cause there is nothing to hit other than cones

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Do you guys get track insurance?
I did not but can certainly understand people that do. Crap happens and that is what insurance is for. Make sure to read the provisions of the insurance as it usually only covers a certain dollar amount of repairs.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Have fun, tell us all about it. I've been considering a FATT at VIR for years now, but I'm afraid to crash my car.

You need no mods. You'll be getting a driver mod.

Just make sure your brakes and tires are perfect. I'd also do fresh engine oil, the BG trans fluid ( https://www.opmustang.com/store/p4/...II_Synthetic_Gear_Oil_-_MT82_Kit_.html.html#/ ), and probably some synthetic in your diff.

And I would think the track day insurance is worth a few hundred.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
For a beginner tracking the car once a year you don't need anything besides a properly working car and helmet.

Check all your fluids and tires and if everything is good just go out and enjoy.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Bleed your brake fluid to get any air bubbles out, and yes, I usually buy track insurance when its available since my car isn't fully paid off.
Sponsored