Sponsored

Quad tip exhaust systems

Phyxius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush S1
Hey all, I recently purchased an RS1 S550 and even though I promised myself that I would not spend any money on mods for the car, I just can’t help myself.
Anyway, the point of this thread is to ask about quad tipped exhaust systems available for the ecoboost.

Ideally I would like to keep the Roush axle backs to maintain the Roush theme throughout. Silly, I know but there’s something about keeping the “special” parts original to the car. Not to mention I really like the way they sound.

With that said, I have a few questions:

-Are the Roush axle backs compatible with other after market systems?

-Is it worth trying to make this work or am I better off just using the axle backs of whatever system I buy?

-I would consider their catback system (Roush) if the axle backs are interchangeable, but is this the best way to spend that kind of money performance wise? Ideally I would like 3” pipes and these are 2.5.

-I have to keep quad tips even if I didn’t want to because of the Roush rear valance. It is designed for quad tips and dual tips would look awful.

-The only quad tip system I’ve been able to find is the magnaflow system on CJs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Any good, local muffler shop can do everything you just asked for a couple hundred bucks. And if you ask me, 3" downpipes/midpipes necking down to 2.5" or even 2.25" out the back sounds better than any straight 3" system.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
if you still have the resonator...get rid of it. I got rid of the stock 2.5 to 2.25 flex pipe as well and it's now 2.5 from the cat to a 2.5 y-pipe....

...keep the roush exhaust

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
Remove the pipe plate that covers the exhaust on each side. You may notice one exhaust tip is clean and the other dirty. Roush covers one exhaust exit on each side where the tip meets the pipe. Car will sound better. Removing resonator is good advice too.

OP
OP

Phyxius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush S1
Thanks for the replies. I have the tip shields off and love the way the exhaust sounds, hence why I would like to keep them. I'll look into deleting the resonator.
My biggest concern with staying at 2.5in for the exhaust is the performance. I'm still learning this engine, but from my experience with imports, 3in systems make a big difference from even a 2.5 one.
I want to squeeze as much power as possible and I'm looking at all options.

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
My biggest concern with staying at 2.5in for the exhaust is the performance. I'm still learning this engine, but from my experience with imports, 3in systems make a big difference from even a 2.5 one.
I want to squeeze as much power as possible and I'm looking at all options.
Wait, is this all going to be mated up to a stock downpipe? If so, then I would get what you think would sound/look good instead of worrying about robbing power. The power difference in exhaust diameter is really peanuts until you move to a 3" dp. After that you have a ton of options. You can do a full 3" catless-ear-bleeding-John Deere-airplane-highway-drone-inducing exhaust for the most free flowing, track car system, or gradually neck it down from the downpipe and maybe even throw in a small-lightweight resonator to get some tone and positive resonance back.

Rob0381

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang RS1 Premium W/PP
if you still have the resonator...get rid of it. I got rid of the stock 2.5 to 2.25 flex pipe as well and it's now 2.5 from the cat to a 2.5 y-pipe....

...keep the roush exhaust
Like ^^^ said, keep the Roush Quads. I also have an RS1 w/Roush Quad AB. You don’t need anything other than to replace the resonator with a y-pipe and boom, you have a cat back (aside from the neck-down on the stock dp). I went with Lethal Perfomance’s 2.5in y-pipe. Clamped right to the existing piping and Roush AB. Couple sound clips to hear the difference...
With resonator:

With Lethal y-pipe:

OP
OP

Phyxius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush S1
Like ^^^ said, keep the Roush Quads. I also have an RS1 w/Roush Quad AB. You don’t need anything other than to replace the resonator with a y-pipe and boom, you have a cat back (aside from the neck-down on the stock dp). I went with Lethal Perfomance’s 2.5in y-pipe. Clamped right to the existing piping and Roush AB. Couple sound clips to hear the difference...
With resonator:

With Lethal y-pipe:
Thank you for the videos, car sounds great! So if I understand correctly, as long as the DP is a full 3" narrowing it down to 2.5" at the Y Pipe won't make much of a difference than keeping a full 3" system - power wise?

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Turbos do not like back pressure. So going from a 3" DP to 2.5 at the Y will not affect it too much if at all due to splitting off, as long as the remaining pipe diameter is 2.5". I ran my down pipe on the stock setup and it was so backed up due to going through the stock resonator, and going down to 2.25" it lost 3PSI of boost on a Precision 5862 turbo.... the setups you mention will be about equal and little to no differences.
Sponsored