Sponsored

Which Twin Disc Clutch for an '18?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So basically, my car is sitting at the dealership to have a new clutch installed, because I noticed mine started slipping every so slightly on the highway in 6th gear, and smelling up my garage after driving home from work.

Now, the 2018 GT has a new twin disc clutch, and a dual mass fly wheel. The Tech said some of the little leaf springs on the diaphragm were bent, which is why it wasn't engaging properly. Probably like that from the factory, but took a while before I noticed it. So, he is ordering a whole new clutch kit with the flywheel. I believe it's something like $1,500 for the whole thing. Not sure why it needs a whole new flywheel, or maybe that's just the way the kit comes from Ford.

Here's the bad news. They are back ordered until almost Mid-November. He put in an emergency request to put me at the top of the list, but not sure if that will get me a clutch anytime sooner.

The somewhat good news. The Service Rep told me if I want, I could buy an aftermarket clutch, and they will install that for me, then give me the Ford OEM clutch to keep or sell to recoup some of my cost.

- So, if I decide I want to go with an aftermarket twin disc clutch, what would be the way to go in order to get a far more durable clutch than the new factory twin clutch from Ford?

- Should I go with a Ceramic plate clutch, or stick with Organic?

- Do ceramic clutches last a lot longer?

American Muscle says these clutches are for 2015-2017 Mustangs, but I assume they should work on the new 2018?

I was thinking about a McCleod RST twin disc for 800HP rating, but the McCleod RXT 1,000HP is a ceramic clutch, and can't help but wonder if that wouldn't last a lot longer. Keep in mind my car is still stock, and I'm not sure I ever want to boost it. I just want a very smooth, yet extremely durable long lasting clutch that my potential screw up on occasion won't kill..

Any suggestions?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^ I was looking at the Exedy Hyper clutch, but I really think those are a bit more than what I really need. The exedy is ceramic though, but that seems a bit overkill for an NA engine.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Is Ford and the dealer going to maintain your factory warranty on the tranny if you use aftermarket? I had my timing chain tensioners replaced under warranty and wanted to have them install mmr opgs/cg and he said they could but warranty is gone.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I honestly don't know. I think he said they would install and still honor tge warranty if it broke. But, they wouldn't replace it with that brand. It would be replaced with OEM.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
WHOA!! That thing is awesome. I'm not sure I ever plan to boost the pony though. That looks like it can handle 1,200hp. If I left it NA, I bet it would last longer than the car.

Problem: Not sure I want to dump $2k on a clutch. Especially when I know I'm getting the OEM in a couple weeks for free.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
that clutch looks LIGHT!!!!