OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I asked a ford master tech what they are saying on there secret online tech forum about this tick...

"Scored cylinder walls from bad rings, piston skirts breaking, dropping valves, some of the lesser damage is clutches and a few cracked fly wheels."
Sponsored

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
I've had the tick since 20k. Like most, it happened after an oil change using 5w-20 Mobil 1 EP and the FL-500s filter. It would be worse a few days after and then taper off over the course of about 1000 miles. At 25k, the tick didn't taper off at all. Last week, I changed at 30k using 5w-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and the FL500s filter and the tick is 95% gone. I'll report if something changes but it seems like I will stick with PUP from now on.

OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Mines at the dealer now, awaiting the first call of what they find

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Mines at the dealer now, awaiting the first call of what they find
What makes me hesitant about doing this is more than likely they will accept that there is a problem but they won't know what is causing it. You get a replacement block and the issue eventually comes back because of the design.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
What makes me hesitant about doing this is more than likely they will accept that there is a problem but they won't know what is causing it. You get a replacement block and the issue eventually comes back because of the design.
It seems like a crap shoot, but most people that have the car doesnt have the tick, people tha get a block replaced, I wonder if there tick comes back because of something other than whats in small block causing it.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
This is a pic of the scoring I saw in the 5.0 I found disassembled in the shop with a piston removed. Didnt hear what the mechanics plan was since he wasnt there but just noticed this on a 2018 5.0 What do you guys think about this? :

rTmhvJU.jpg
View attachment 311892

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Drove by dealer, car still in same spot I parked it.

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
Well I've now developed the tick. Mine does not happen until the car is warm, but once it starts it sounds awful. you can hear it 20 feet away from the car. I can't speak for anyone else and I'm no mechanic but it seriously sounds like rod knock. its only at idle when the oil pressure is low, but It sounds like a metal on metal bang. I'm taking her in today and I'm pretty pissed off about the whole thing.

The knocking is inconsistent and irregular in nature. When you do the ole 'screwdriver stethoscope' trick you can really hear it banging off of something. Mine is on the passenger side.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Well I've now developed the tick. Mine does not happen until the car is warm, but once it starts it sounds awful. you can hear it 20 feet away from the car. I can't speak for anyone else and I'm no mechanic but it seriously sounds like rod knock. its only at idle when the oil pressure is low, but It sounds like a metal on metal bang. I'm taking her in today and I'm pretty pissed off about the whole thing.

The knocking is inconsistent and irregular in nature. When you do the ole 'screwdriver stethoscope' trick you can really hear it banging off of something. Mine is on the passenger side.
Ceratec it yolo mine was horrible before that but it was fixed.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase

Sounds exactly like mine. Didn't start until the engine was 180 or so degrees. Inconsistent tapping like a typewriter. Worse on hot days. Mine was driver side. Sound was worse from under the car. Started right after an oil change. Ford replaced with a new short block. I too now run Ceratech.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP

how many miles?

ultrahax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP Power Pack 2
17 GT with a tick - dealership put in a new shortblock, no more tick, for now..

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
17 GT with a tick - dealership put in a new shortblock, no more tick, for now..
When I broke in my new short block I started using Ceratec as a precaution. Really quietened down engine noise.