Sponsored

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 - Tick Gone!

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I tried m1 ep 5w20 and it did not fix the tick
It didn't fix mine either, but it slowly shifted from being at idle to a more steady tick when revving above 1,200rpm.

I may switch to 5w30 next oil change. I may even start using Ceratec.
Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
My 17 GT developed a cold-start tick/piston slap noise after my initial free oil change at the dealership(~5k miles). I read that this is common and the noise could go away after about ~1k miles. I waited about 3k miles and the noise was still present so I decided to change the oil. I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 with a Ford Racing oil filter.

I'm happy to report that the cold start noises are gone and the engine sounds like it did before the initial oil change. I know this won't work for everybody but figured I'd share my experience :thumbsup:
Was it just cold start for you, or, did you also have some particular rpms where the engine would tick at neutral gear?

Like if you park in neutral, engine warmed up, slowly explore engine speed range under 2000 rpms by playing with gas pedal in small increments/decrements and find a particular engine speed where ticking occurs almost always?

Once you find your particular engine speed that does it, it's very reproducible. I saw some of the youtubers doing that and that's how I figured my endine has the spot.

OP
OP
ypena02

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
@accel most noticeable when engine cold at 1100-1500rpm. It was very faint and hardly noticeable once warm. Now it's completely gone, engine sounds just like it did before the initial oil change.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Huh? What makes you say that?
I read up where they list the list the film strength in psi.

- Mobil 1 EP 5w30 ~ 117,800psi

- Penn UP 5w30 ~ 115,600psi

- Mobil 1 EP 5w20 ~ 94,600psi

- Penn UP 5w20 ~ 92,500psi

I'm switching to Penn UP 5w30, because the film strength is far greater than my current Mobil 1 5w20, Mobil 1 also uses more of a ZDDP additive. Penn UP has more cleaning agents, better sustained viscosity, and uses more of a Boron lubricity matrix instead of Mobil 1's ZDDP.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
It didn't fix mine either, but it slowly shifted from being at idle to a more steady tick when revving above 1,200rpm.

I may switch to 5w30 next oil change. I may even start using Ceratec.
I'm sorry but mobil1 is no good on a coyote. I have tried so many different oils in coyotes and mobil1 never felt good.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm sorry but mobil1 is no good on a coyote. I have tried so many different oils in coyotes and mobil1 never felt good.
I tried Mobil 1 5w20, because all I have run in my other cars for years is M1 5w30. It did not make the tick go away at all. Then, I tried Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30, and it actually made the tick a little louder. So, I started using 1 bottle of Ceratec every oil change, and the tick is all but gone. Also, I switched to Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30. It is less expensive than PUP, and actually makes my Coyote run even quieter. Now I run QSUD 5w30 and Ceratec. It's the only thing I've found so far that eliminates most of the tick, and runs the smoothest.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I tried Mobil 1 5w20, because all I have run in my other cars for years is M1 5w30. It did not make the tick go away at all. Then, I tried Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30, and it actually made the tick a little louder. So, I started using 1 bottle of Ceratec every oil change, and the tick is all but gone. Also, I switched to Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w30. It is less expensive than PUP, and actually makes my Coyote run even quieter. Now I run QSUD 5w30 and Ceratec. It's the only thing I've found so far that eliminates most of the tick, and runs the smoothest.
Surprised no one tries Castrol Magnatec which per forum is the oil of dealer choice in UK where no ticks are reported (almost).

Nevermind. Just bought enough for my next oil change.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Surprised no one tries Castrol Magnatec which per forum is the oil of dealer choice in UK where no ticks are reported (almost).

Nevermind. Just bought enough for my next oil change.
Actually I tried this oil and the engine ran much quieter than mobil1. I have the cold start tick and it became much quieter with the castrol. I added ceratec after couple hundred miles and it's whisper quiet now.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 19 Bullitt and it has the tick. I will change my oil at 500 miles with Mobil 1 and see what happens. I will also add the certac

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I bought a 19 Bullitt and it has the tick. I will change my oil at 500 miles with Mobil 1 and see what happens. I will also add the certac
Don’t waste your money on mobil1. Ceratec will definitely help. I would recommend either the Castrol magnatec or Pennzoil ultra platinum for the price. Mobil1 is not what it used to be.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Don’t waste your money on mobil1. Ceratec will definitely help. I would recommend either the Castrol magnatec or Pennzoil ultra platinum for the price. Mobil1 is not what it used to be.
To add to your recommendation. Quaker State Ultimate Durability is basically the same or VERY close to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in its overall makeup, yet it is much less expensive, and can be bought from Walmart in a 6-pack for $100. Honestly, I switched to QSUD 5w30 with a bottle of Ceratec each oil change, and it runs smoother and quieter than PUP.

Results may vary . :fingerscrossed:

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
So I had asked Alejandro from Lund Performance regarding the tick. He said MMR had a coyote that had the tick and they replaced the timing chain tensioners on it and the tick went away. Curious if that is actually what's causing this ticking noise. It does also sound very familiar to the s2000 timing chain tensioner tick, and the fix on those was to sand blast the tensioner or buy a new one.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Can't speak to the tick issue, but I've been using both PP and PUP for the last 28,000 miles. My motor has been quiet and happy. I plan to do a UOA soon since I've run Pennzoil exclusively after the factory fill.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Can't speak to the tick issue, but I've been using both PP and PUP for the last 28,000 miles. My motor has been quiet and happy. I plan to do a UOA soon since I've run Pennzoil exclusively after the factory fill.
I never heard anything bad about PP or PUP. Looking forward to seeing your oil analysis. There is one guy with a orange 2018 auto twin turbo running 8s and he used PUP and when he tore his motor down it looked clean as a whistle.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I never heard anything bad about PP or PUP. Looking forward to seeing your oil analysis. There is one guy with a orange 2018 auto twin turbo running 8s and he used PUP and when he tore his motor down it looked clean as a whistle.
That's comforting to hear! I'll be sure to post a used oil analysis when the time comes. Going to continue to exclusively use PP / PUP.
Sponsored