Sponsored

Anyone changed there oil to 5w30 and encounter a problem, failure or any weird noises?

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
5w-30 Ultra Platinum and Fram XG2 filters for IDK a yr and a half now. Heavily autocrossed and couple trackdays a year 2015 GTPP. Runs good, smooth and fun.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Actually part of this is correct. As well as lower friction for the high revving nature of the car. This started even way back with the first Coyote. As for actual cushioning and protection, oil is still a technology and this isn't 1983 anymore...thank god.
and they put what weight oil in the GT350? :giggle:

OP
OP

Xavierviana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium 2015
Fwiw, if you want extra protection from a 5w30 (or 0w30), consider one that carries the acea a3/b4 rating. This guarantees better protection in regions where failures occur, and also has minimum anti-wear additive limits. A3/b4 are considered high performance oils.
After reading I saw that ford recommend Acea A5/B5... whats the difference betweem both Acea?

(The 5w20 has A1/B1)

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
A1/b1 is an obsolete spec replaced by a5/b5. A3/b3 requires higher hths. A3/b4 requires higher hths and higher minimum anti wear chemistry limits.

A 5w20 pretty much can not meet a3 minimum hths.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have 39,750 miles and have run both 5w20 & 5w30 oils by NAPA,Pennzoil,Castrol edge,magnetec. I use the 5w30 in summer, 5w20 in winter. Not much winter on the coastal bend of Texas. No complaints, heck even my a/c is still working great. Edit: I found this old post & want to update. I now am at 56,000 miles, still no tick, still using 5w30 this time Pennzoil Ultra w/ Lucas oil stabilizer and I try to find the Ford Racing filter but my dealer has failed to order it the last two changes, dang.Plenty winter down here and this year I wanted to R&D the 5w30 for the colder weather, I used an STP oil filter this change, the Racing spec filter has a better bypass design and hold an additional 1/2 qt. oil. Carry on.

Last edited:

Sponsored

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Sorry, no. Ford circa 2002 (decade before coyote) tsb specifies 5w20 for almost everything, even back-spec’ing all the way to 1991 in some cases. The tsb clearly says it is to improve fuel economy.

If it were for lower friction in the high revving engine, why the 5w50 in the higher revving gt350?
The voodoo engine in the GT350 may have larger clearances for the heavier oil an higher revs. That’s what I did when building high performance engines back in the old days.

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Please post actual clearance specs.
Please note the word “may” in my post. My comments were speculation on my part that the voodoo engine is clearanced differently than the coyote.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Please note the word “may” in my post. My comments were speculation on my part that the voodoo engine is clearanced differently than the coyote.
I asked because I’ve heard for many years that modern engines have tighter clearance (not to be confused with tolerances) and therefore need less viscous oil to get into them. I did a few spot checks and found that to be the not true. Clearances on, say, the coyote mains are actually 20-30% looser than ford v8 specs from the 1970’s.

I, too, have built high performance engines “loose”, which in hindsight was probably misguided. For example, running top ring gaps of .025” to run 5-15 psi boost when the coyote runs the same boost with only .006-.010” top ring gap.

Since you mentioned the gt350 clearances, I was wondering if you had the numbers because I haven’t been able to locate them.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I sometimes use olive oil, but technically canola oil has a higher boiling point. :)

Just remember that the lower number (The "w") designates the cold viscosity, so running 5w-30 or 5w-50 doesn't (largely) affect cold start wear. There are lots of 0w oils out there, so I would run that all the time if it were me. I think some of the newer ASE specs have reduced the moly content which helps the cats live longer, but doesn't have as much wear protection. There are probably newer additives (ZDDP I think) that maybe work good enough. The base stock is usually pretty important as it might differentiate a crappy base stock hopped up on viscosity-improvers versus a really good base stock that doesn't need as much "help".

I think these motors are built so well that a "failure" due to oil would be pretty rare. If you are really concerned, the best way to find out is to change your oil and send in a sample to blackstone labs. Run the same stuff you are using now and repeat the oil test. Then run 5w-30 and see what it does to the wear levels. Yes it will cost you ~$100 to do it, but it is the best way to find out if your engine "likes" the new kool aid.

Sponsored

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
I’ve been using 5W-30 since the first oil change, and I just hit 30K #woodknock

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
My engine's ticking and 5w30 made it worse. I rolled back to 5w20.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
Sorry, no. Ford circa 2002 (decade before coyote) tsb specifies 5w20 for almost everything, even back-spec’ing all the way to 1991 in some cases. The tsb clearly says it is to improve fuel economy.

If it were for lower friction in the high revving engine, why the 5w50 in the higher revving gt350?
why did Ford list 5w50 in 2014 gt's with track pack? now, my 2017 performance pack has a 5w20 sticker. It was my understanding that Ford expected the "track packs" to be driven harder as well as the 3.73 diffs upping the rpm's etc. the only difference between a track and performance pack is the name, unless engine tolerances were changed in 2015? doubt it. I also know the name change was to avoid the idea that track pack meant...track ready and warranty issues. anyone else...? dman
Sponsored