Sponsored

Went a little hard on the Dyno and blew my 2018 stock engine with turbos...car made big power though

OP
OP
bakerjd

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Don't expect to run >600 whp on a stock engine with stock-like durability, much less 1000. Yes, lots of cars out there north of 700 whp but you're not going 150k+ miles on stock internals like that.
This car won't see 30k miles in it's lifetime. I didn't buy it for anything other than racing/fun.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bakerjd

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Can't wait to see the new build. And sadly, I am watching this thread because I want to see pictures/video of engine bits...
I'll be sure to post them up here

OP
OP
bakerjd

bakerjd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Why not just upgrade prior to it blowing? Would it not be less time consuming? Did you really think the engine would last the way it was set up? Just reminds me of "measure twice cut once". If you have the resources to make the engine withstand 1000 whp at least with some confidence, why go through the trouble of doing it half-assed?
Nothing about this car is half assed lol...I didn't plan to make over 1000whp in 12lbs of boost. It's been taking other kits 15lbs to get there. I certainly didn't plan to keep the car there. Would have been a "last resort" if 10lbs couldn't get the job done. Also, I was curious to see what we could do on the stock engine. I knew it would take 900-1000whp to meet my goal but peak torque had a different plan. Shit happens. I'll toss a built/sleeved engine in now and then we'll see what it takes to pop the 10R80/rear differential. I've got plenty of time to waste having fun with this car.

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
Oh I knew what I was getting into. I'm not upset about it at all.
Same here man with my ā€˜18 a few weeks ago. It made 978 with the new Gen 5 Whipple and 17 psi of boost. The shop said that we had more pullies to go down but I told him no, take it off so I can drive it. I think they wanted to see 1000 RWHP which woulda been cool but again I said no.

Great power yours made though. Impressive ass engines man thatā€™s for sure.
B585BB2B-03D6-4476-AB04-AE4EEC45B9A2.jpeg

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
Nothing about this car is half assed lol...I didn't plan to make over 1000whp in 12lbs of boost. It's been taking other kits 15lbs to get there. I certainly didn't plan to keep the car there. Would have been a "last resort" if 10lbs couldn't get the job done. Also, I was curious to see what we could do on the stock engine. I knew it would take 900-1000whp to meet my goal but peak torque had a different plan. Shit happens. I'll toss a built/sleeved engine in now and then we'll see what it takes to pop the 10R80/rear differential. I've got plenty of time to waste having fun with this car.
Man donā€™t let people rattle your cage. Itā€™s your shi to do whatever you want. I too didnā€™t want more than about 800 RWHP but with the pulley that came with the kit, it made 898 RWHP. I allowed them to go to the next pulley down knowing that I was pushing it and anything could happen and that was the 978 and it lived. Had it blown, well Iā€™d a been doing the same as you are without any hesitation or regrets.

So I assume that your turbo kit is very well engineered and efficient to make 1000 RWHP at 12 psi too! Are the headers big tubular 1 7/8ā€? Good luck bro and I will be watching your progression.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

The half-assed comment is congruent to my statement of wasting time, sorry I was not more clear on that. Normally if you want a boosted car making twice or more HP of the stock engine, you are not going to do it without making robust changes. It was in no way a reflection on the work you did, but absolutely about the execution. Now if you sit around all day bored with nothing to do, I could see where you might want to experiment "just to see what happens". I suggest you do not light a firecracker and hold it tight in your hand....shit happens may not cover it! :yawn:

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Thank you for showing us what this stock internal engine can handle ...to a point. Makes me a little less worried to have a 600-650 whp car with the added opg upgrade in the future. What kind of boost do you think you can throw at the built engine? I am really curious what that stock 10R80 can handle reliably.

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
I second this,car magazines used to rag shit out..,sometimes parts manufacturers or speed shops would too, now nobody with deep pockets does,...well lethal kind of is doing it, anyways.. its the blind leading the blind..start a go fund me I got $40 for your effort ..its what I woulda spent on car mag sub that used to do this shit :0

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Here's to bigger and better...

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Wish I had 20-25k to light on fire. That's basically what this is.

1slo5ohh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I'll never understand why people get shitty with someone and make dumbass comments about what someone else does with their own car. It in no way shape or form has anything to do with your car, or your financial situation so who cares what the guy does with his own car? Whether he wants to boost it to the moon, keep it stock, or paint it pink with some 30 inch spinners is his choice.

Now the ones that blow their heaps up then post videos with GoFundMe links looking for a hand out I'd understand the comments. But the ones knowing what their getting into with the means to do so and pushing the boundaries is doing us all a favor. Pushing their cars finding the weak links so everyone else don't have to, what's so wrong with that?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
You dont know what the limits are until you push them. Enjoy your 14 second car. The OP will enjoy his 9 second car.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Nah dude. Killed a stock 2015 and dropped in a new full warranty OEM 2017 production line motor for under $5k(including shipping and fresh exhaust gaskets, hardware etc).
Havent looked up 18-19 service motors yet, but it cant be that much more expensive. Ford is fairly generous in supporting grassroots including the little guy pushing the issue for the communities benefit.
Sponsored