A10 weird issue

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
So driving to work on the highway, I switched from D to S to pass a vehicle. As i am coming back down to speed i switched back to D. When i got to my desired speed the transmission started going back and forth from 2.5krpm to 3k, back and forth back and forth. I put it in neutral for a few seconds then back to D and the oscillation stopped. I came to another vehicle to pass and as I accelerated the transmission acted as if it was slipping and I had ZERO acceleration.... Thinking about taking it to the dealer but doubt they'll be able to replicate what happened but has this happened with anyone else? I've searched but havent found anything matching what I've experienced. I'm also having harder than normal downshifts from 2nd to 1st in all drive modes.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

You can roll the dice and take it in, and hope they notice the behavior you're noting on your 2-1 downshift. Even if they do, they may deem it 'normal'.

I just made a cumulative mental note of all my A10's weirdness, and waited for the eventual wrench light, THEN took it in so they'd have a code to read.

It's been my experience that if a tech actually test-drives your car, they're going to take it for a spin around the block, and if they don't notice anything, your work order gets stamped with the typical "Cannot Duplicate".

With behavior this bad, you're eventually going to get a wrench light. You're under warranty.....wait until the car self-diagnoses a problem. It'll make it a little easier for you to get it fixed.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It sounds like you could have 1 of 3 known 10R80 issues:

1) Some 10R80s have had to have the valve body replaced due to poor shifting performance that effects torque converter.

2) There is a Ford TSB on the 10R80 regarding the 1-way clutch which affects gear changes between 2-3.

3) There is a TSB for 10R80 software update. Some folks who have experienced shifting issues have had the software updated and it seems to have improved the shifting.

I have a 10R80 thread in the “TSB/Issues” subforum on here where I have posted all of the available 10R80 TSBs to date available to the public.

Since you had the oscillation, it could be either of those above issues. I would take it out on the same highway again and see if you can replicate the issue by shifting it in the same manner you did when it first acted up. IF you can get it to act up, then when you take it into Ford Service, tell them you want to go for a drive with the Tech, take it out on the highway and do the same action.
Sponsored