Sponsored

2018 gt pp1 vs 2016 gt pp?

grue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Base GT + PP1
Hi all. Hope this isn’t too basic question for this forum, but is 2018 gt pp1 about the same or better than 2016 gt pp? In terms of brakes, pads, rotors, cooling, radiator, differential, tranny, anything else? I only tracked my older 2016gt pp once and it was great! Stock everything no pad changes, no new brake fluid etc... that was with 5k miles on it. Although there was some brake fade it was nowhere near as bad as a 2013 gt without any upgrades or changes. On the 2016 gt I never went over 130mph on the straits, never activated traction control. My best lap was 2m45s at road America, so I don’t push too hard. If I track the 2018gt pp1, I would do new pads and brake fluid and MC 5-50 oil. The 2016 with MC 5-50 got pretty high oil temp according to the dash gauge very end of the green safe zone but I was able to slow down and it would cool down.

Reason I ask is that I am seeing some posts about overheating of diff and such so worried about that. Plus I’m seeing things about engine ticks and piston slap etc... that ford changed engine design etc... makes me pause a bit. I never had any issues with the 2016. And so far with only 500 miles (300mi when delivered to me from a dealer 90 miles from me), I seem to be ok.

Thanks
Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It's fine, just track it. Leave the recommended 5w20 in there if you're worried about it exploding and don't mod the engine.

All the parts are basically the same (brakes, diff/trans etc). Suspension will be slightly better on the 2018 based on revised damping and spring/sway rates, but overall it'll feel largely the same.

Add good brake fluid and go until you have issues. No sense worrying about stuff that doesn't happen.