Sponsored

Short Clutch Travel When Car is Cold

Louieg58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt performance package black
I've recently been having some clutch issues when I start my my car early in the morning. Though the clutch still engages fine, I have very short clutch travel and the clutch is loose at the top of the travel (I can wiggle the clutch up and down around and inch or so with my hand and no pressure) . After the car warms up for around 15 mins, the clutch travel goes back to normal. I am guessing I am low on fluid, but not sure if anyone else has had a similar issue...
Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
You can always check your fluid level easily, but I doubt that's the cause. Id look into the steeda clutch spring. Or just take your clutch spring out so you actually feel the clutch better. I went with steeda.

OP
OP
Louieg58

Louieg58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt performance package black
You can always check your fluid level easily, but I doubt that's the cause. Id look into the steeda clutch spring. Or just take your clutch spring out so you actually feel the clutch better. I went with steeda.
I actually already have the steeda clutch spring and have had it for around 40,000 miles now. Has worked great until now.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Bummer. Have you changed the fluid?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My clutch started getting a bit squishy at the top (car now has 3,300 miles), even with the factory clutch spring. It felt like the clutch wasn't engaging all the way, when releasing the pedal. After driving home from work a couple times, I noticed highway RPM in 6th gear was slightly higher for some reason. When I got home and parked in the garage, I noticed a slight smell. Burning brakes/clutch smell. Not major, but slightly noticeable.

I took it in, and they pulled the clutch. The Tech said a few leaf springs on the main diaphragm were bent, and not providing enough force. He thinks the diaphragm spring itself was slowly failing, or perhaps was like that from the beginning but took a while to notice it.

Anyway, there is a back order on clutch kits from Ford. I think they have been having a lot of problems with the new clutch, because there are no clutches available anywhere in the country. They won't be coming in until Mid-November.

Needless to say, I am not very happy about paying for a car I can't drive for a good month, and the dealer won't give me a courtesy car to drive in the mean time.
Sponsored