Sponsored

About to but new GT 350- should I do it?

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Yes you should. Unless you're going to ignore Ford's guidance and complain to them about the normal oil consumption of a race engine... Don't let the naysayers bother you.
Sponsored

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Having owned both a GT PP and a 350... there's a world of difference. The GT is a fun car that's got some power but it lacks on handling and can't compete on any kind of track. If you're looking for a daily driver and want to have fun and let her eat once in a while, then definitely get a GT. As @TheDeadCow said, tires, brakes, oil, and fuel are going to be a lot less expensive. However, if you want to have something that's out of the ordinary, has a good bit of power, can be tracked and then driven home, handles extremely well, and is a very good platform to build off of that you don't mind dumping a little more cash into, then definitely get a 350. You lose some bells and whistles, but damn it is that car worth the money. Don't let the blown engine thread discourage you. The failures this community has been able to document are pretty minimal in the big picture. I, as well as a good group of other people have had 0 engine issues, and a good chunk of us don't burn any oil at all. The car has other quirks, but what car doesn't? Ultimately it's up to you, but the 350 is worth the price of admission every day of the week.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
How many miles a year do you drive? I find mine comfortable enough to DD and I sit in traffic 3 hours a day. If you never track I don't think you should get a gt350. Honestly it feels fast as speeds you can never do on the street.

Aside from my AC continuously going reliability seems ok.

Last edited:

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I'm a 73 year old fart and as a last hurrah I leased a new 17 for 5 years. Don't plan to ever track it but its right up there with my dog of keeping me stress relieved. I pet and hug the dog and take the Shelby out and put that exhaust in sport mode, play classic rock on the Sync 3 with a flash drive and go like hell down the highway (within the speed limit of course, hee hee) and get the same stress relief from both.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Get the 350. It handles, drives and feels better than the GT. You lose a bit of low end grunt, but the upper end makes up for it. It's a fantastic car, easily the best Mustang made to date.

I don't track mine. It was my DD for the 1st year of ownership, and is now my weekend fun car. Just below 10K on the odometer now. It burns ~ 1 quart of oil in between oil changes (every 3K miles), so I have no worries about that. I personally believe that the issues with this car are wildly overblown and that people have become a bit hysterical about it. JMO.

Sponsored

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
I've had my GT350 for 8 months now. 12 track days, 1 set of pads on front, 2 oil changes and 1 quart added between changes. 158 mph is my best top speed and 1.3 g turns on Michelin Cup 2's. I've had a 13 and 15 GT both modified for the track and they don't hold a candle to the Shelby. Serious fun and I have been doing this 30 plus years.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Value? 0-60? These are inquisitions of ignorant mortals. The growl of the Voodoo and raw feel of tarmac is something that forces the called to submit to the beckoning of the dark god of speed as his cold claws trace the back of your neck tilting your head to drink from the brimming chalice of his unfiltered soul. If you are called, you will know, and will not have to ask.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard they're reliable but the tend to consume oil. I forget but some consume a quart ever 1500mi or so? Are you going to daily drive it? I know the GT350 is a rough rider and more stiff than a GT PP. I personally wouldn't get one over a GT PP due to the minimal difference in 0-60 times for the extra cost. But if you're going to track it, then yes.
It's better and different. But when you can get a GT rocket for low $30s (and yes, they sound awesome stock), spending an extra $30K on a GT 350 isn't appetizing to many. And I may be in the minority but as good as the GT 350 sounds, I think the exhaust too loud and would be annoying after awhile. That how loud exhausts usually work.

But I value comfort number one so the GT 350 is out of the question anyway. I'd much rather ride around in a base GT.
You haven't driven one have you?

I've owned both a 17 GTPP and a 17 GT350. The 350 rides no worse than the GTPP and in a lot of cases, much better.

Also, you can close the exhaust, which makes the interior of the car as quiet as a stock GT, which is way, way too quiet.

I understand the price could be steep for some, but in terms of value it's still quite good considering what you get.

This is a capable, and well rounded car.

Sponsored

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 H.E GT350; 1968 Ford Bronco Sport
Anybody can build speed and 0-60. All it takes is the almighty dollar. You will never be able to replicate the sound of a 5.2 voodoo at WOT. I owned numerous GT500's and a 16 GTPP and not one came close to how good this car is.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I've heard they're reliable but the tend to consume oil. I forget but some consume a quart ever 1500mi or so? Are you going to daily drive it? I know the GT350 is a rough rider and more stiff than a GT PP. I personally wouldn't get one over a GT PP due to the minimal difference in 0-60 times for the extra cost. But if you're going to track it, then yes.
I don't think you've ridden in a truly rough riding car if you think a GT350 is.

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
I've had my GT350 for 8 months now. 12 track days, 1 set of pads on front
Off topic, but how have you only gone through one set of pads in 12 track days‽ I have done 3 days and *might* get one more day. Rears are also near end of life. I do not even do much street driving. Less than 3k mikes on the car.

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
If you dont plan on going to the track, Then its kind of hard to make a solid argument to get one instead of a regular GT unless youre one of those who want to pay almost $30k just for that shelby name/badge. A GT(especially with the A10) will be more fun on the streets due to the lower end torque. GT350 you need to be in that 5-8k RPM range to get anything out of it

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
If you dont plan on going to the track, Then its kind of hard to make a solid argument to get one instead of a regular GT unless youre one of those who want to pay almost $30k just for that shelby name/badge. A GT(especially with the A10) will be more fun on the streets due to the lower end torque. GT350 you need to be in that 5-8k RPM range to get anything out of it
An automatic being more fun on the street....? LOL

Power comes on in the 350 in the mid 3.5K range. You've got nearly 5000rpms of bandwith… meanwhile, how many times can you accelerate hard in an auto and "have fun" in that 0-30 range on the street before it gets old. The Voodoo never gets old. Don't matter what rpms you're at, don't matter what speed you're at, it is always, 100% of the time, more exciting and enjoyable than any other mustang. You don't need to be going WOT to enjoy the sound, the steering, the way the car handles, the superb MANUAL transmission, did I mention the sound?

And people are paying the extra $30K not because of a name/badge. They're paying a lot more because its that much better of a car, and THEN some. If you need details, read the last paragraph again :)
Sponsored