Sponsored

whats all this black shit under my car?

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
no salted roads in NZ, grit only.

but lots of kiwis like to drive along the beach and dip arse of cars into the water at boat ramps :-)
Oh OK, grit, I was trying to think of what they called it, just simple old grit, with no added salt. Yep no idea why they targeted Asia pac cars with the black plague.

Cant see too many Stangs reversing down a boat ramp, trailer in tow.
Sponsored

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
Just a guess, but if it is right hand drive like many other Euro build cars, they may not distinguish which are coming to NZ versus Europe, so they just spray them all, or they pulled a Euro build and sent to NZ. The industry I work in, we make some products in the US that are only sold in North America, the version we make in Europe is used in every place other than North America, so we build them for worse case operating temperatures and environments.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
Just a guess, but if it is right hand drive like many other Euro build cars, they may not distinguish which are coming to NZ versus Europe, so they just spray them all, or they pulled a Euro build and sent to NZ. The industry I work in, we make some products in the US that are only sold in North America, the version we make in Europe is used in every place other than North America, so we build them for worse case operating temperatures and environments.
It would be needed for the UK market, the other main RHD market. But there are many states in North America that need it with the snow they have in some places and the resulting salt put down, but I don’t think they treat all American cars with the black paint. Well, I don’t know if any American cars are done.

I think it is lazy manufacturing; “lets just do all export cars so we don’t have to think about it”.

It is certainly wasted on my car; it has never seen a wet road, never mind snow!

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
That wasn’t on the car when it left the USA.

They unload them all in Belgium and Holland and drive them over a pit where they spray that on. Then they reload them and distribute them. Why you may ask as it’s obviously ineffective as rust prevention if they only spray the exhaust and wheels....
We in the UK believe the answer is down to tax legislation. It allows ford to sell cars finished in the EU without paying 20% import duty as the cars that arrive from the USA are in a technically incomplete state. I strongly suspect EU cars going into the USA are also finished somehow in the US ports on arrival. Why they couldn’t just fit a trim part is beyond me

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi everyone what’s the best way to clean this black overspray shit off the wheels ? Not much on the front but rear wheels are covered in it

Sponsored

lockwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2019 Bullitt, 2018 BMW M2, 2019 MX5 RFGT
Resurrecting an old thread.
Does anyone know what can be used to remove this black crap.
I’ve tried Acrylic thinners, Lacquer thinners, turps, kero, Acetone. Nothing seems to be effective

-Armoured-

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolfgang
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX7
Not that it can be seen much, but the underside of my new mustang looks like a 5 year old autistic child went to town with an air gun and black paint.

Half of the fucken whole bottom is covered in random places, suspension, diff, driveshaft, heat shields. Wtf.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
Meh, I wish they did the middle and front of the underside of the car as well given I'm in the UK. It doesn't look like the best type of underseal like a Bilt Hamber product, but every bit helps over here to slow the rust down. I can't smell it either but maybe that has to do with temperatures and it's your summer down in NZ at the moment, isn't it?

-Armoured-

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolfgang
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX7
It's almost summer here in oz. Temps are averaging in the low to mid 30's. A few more weeks and it'll probably be mid to high 30's. We'll definitely smell that black spray crap then.

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10
After how long?

I'm still smelling it after a spirited 'gallop' ;) up the Putty Rd yesterday to Grey Gums for lunch! (~500km now).

auj4
My U.K. car still gets the smell after 18months and 11k miles
Sponsored