Leather or Clothe seats?

• Total voters

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The cloth fabric seems like it will wear like iron. I hope the foam seat bottom bolsters do too. So far so good, at 1 year and 7k miles. Also very comfy IMO.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My prior 2016 had Ceramic leather; when it was bought back by Ford, it had accrued 36k+ miles on it and the leather still looked brand new... no discoloration, no cracks, tears or creases.

I guess it depends on how one takes care of the interior of their vehicle, what products are used AND how they enter and exit the vehicle.

My current 2018 already has over 12k on it and again, my Ceramic leather is excellent and looks new.

:)

I use Griots leather conditioner/cleaner with a microfiber to apply and work in the product.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
'16 with 45k miles.. DD.. leather looks fine.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up getting the 2018 with leather because the deal was too good to pass up.
Now Lexol the seats and Vinylex the plastics! Repeat on front seats 3-4 times per year and Vinylex 2 times.

Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I had the factory leather but before even buying the car I had it replaced with Katzkin. I like the Katzkin a lot as it looks more like real leather than the factory ones. Holding up well so far with no issues.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Here is something. What does wear on the cloth seats look like? I get it that when you see frayed cloth that is definite. But I’ve got this whitish stuff on the edge of the seats right in the corner where the seat back hinges to the seat bottom. Is that wear or something just rubbing off in that area?

The other thing is that I am weary when companies put a catchy name on something like leather. I had leather seats that were almost new after 23 years of daily use. The passenger side was perfect and the drivers just had a slight permanent butt indentation. That was it after 23 years (the vinyl sides are another story). They called that leather and it was very thick leather. When I see leather with a trade name attached I wonder if it is because they can’t legally call it just “leather” because it really is not “just” leather. Just saying...

OP
OP
wilkinda65

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Now Lexol the seats and Vinylex the plastics! Repeat on front seats 3-4 times per year and Vinylex 2 times.
Will do, thanks for the info

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Here is something. What does wear on the cloth seats look like? I get it that when you see frayed cloth that is definite. But I’ve got this whitish stuff on the edge of the seats right in the corner where the seat back hinges to the seat bottom. Is that wear or something just rubbing off in that area?

The other thing is that I am weary when companies put a catchy name on something like leather. I had leather seats that were almost new after 23 years of daily use. The passenger side was perfect and the drivers just had a slight permanent butt indentation. That was it after 23 years (the vinyl sides are another story). They called that leather and it was very thick leather. When I see leather with a trade name attached I wonder if it is because they can’t legally call it just “leather” because it really is not “just” leather. Just saying...
Virtually all cars use some language like "leather trimmed" or "leather seating surfaces", even high end luxury brands. This is of course true, since the "seat" is made out of a metal frame, foam pads, plastic backing, etc and even the thickest most perfect leather seats are not really "leather seats". Unfortunately now you really don't know how much of the seat is leather without doing some experimentation. The easiest is the push test. Just take your finger or thumb and push. Leather tends to wrinkle with a bunch of little lines, while vinyl is smoother when deformed.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Cloth feels and looks cheap, if I wanted cloth I would have opted for another car. My divisive personal opinion anyway. Leather holding up fine here, I do wipe them up with leather cleaner/conditioner once in awhile though.

Sponsored

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
I have leather, dark saddle
Love them , feel I am riding a horse with saddle

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Leather is the only choice for me, I've seen the cloth and don't like it.

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP