Sponsored

Firearms owners: Do you pack/load your own ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
I actually need to start with all the propositions that requires background check for ammo purchase in california. Anyone has a good place to start learning?
Effective in 2018 I believe. :frusty:
Sponsored

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
I reload and it saves a lot depending on the round. I can load a box of 50 of .45 for less than $7 when at the store it costs $25-30 so savings add up fast. It was less than $250 in equipment to get started not including materials. Adding calibers is just a $40 die set too. I pick up brass whenever I can which saves a lot of money too. Lots of forums to help learn, be safe take your time and its a cake walk, ammo is more accurate to. It takes time to load and can be a tidious so if you don't want to deal with that its best to buy. I do it while watching tv and enjoy it.

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
I'm in Australia and I do.
When I used to shoot handguns a lot, I had a Dillon 550 press. Definately cheaper and more versitile if compition shooting or serious hunting is your thing. I handload for all my hunting rifles including .223, .243, .30-06, .416 ruger and .505 gibbs. I have to to for the .416 and .505 (which I sold a few months ago for mustang parts). Factory ammo is about $400 per box. I could load for about $2 per shell excluding brass.
A .243 for example down here would cost about $20 for a box of 20 factory loads. If I reload (using factory brass I've recovered) it'll cost me 30c for a projectile, 5c for a primer and about 20c for powder. 55c all up but the versitility and quality is far better than factory ammo.
If I was only plinking, having fun at the range, I might not bother reloading but target shooting and serious hunting, yep I do and will continue to do...
I'm also in Australia, shoot handguns and load with a Dillon 550.

I load mainly 9mm for savings. Here I think the cheapest 9mm is ~$20 per 50, and my loads (using Berrys plated) cost about $9.50, reusing brass. I save myself $10 for every 50. A guy at the range does casting and sells coated projectiles for cheaper than the Berrys, so once I run out it should get a little cheaper.

I load 30-30 too, similar savings with 150GN JFP loads (close to factory) and Berrys plated 150GN LFP for a plinking type load. I use the lead in lever-gun metallic silhouette for 50m & 100m targets and the jacketed load for 150m and 200m targets. I think it was costing $20 for 20 factory (more from the range shop) and the JFP are about $11.50 and the LFP are about $7.00.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Reloading is feasible economically to start with given you go with a single-stage press and you can def get started for a few hundred (or less) and there's absolutely no need to go with a Dillon 550, for instance, or other progressive style press.

I never gauge the costs and I treat it as a hobby, never factor in my time which can be substantial if you want to do that. If 5.56/223 would get down to high quality brass cased being .20/round I could perhaps stop loading it. But being that at last calculation i can load it for .13/rd, it's not worth it. There's a ton of cost savings in component selection, too.

And I don't think of it that you shoot more, I shoot more often, if that makes sense.

If you're not a DIY guy, work with your hands, treat it as a hobby, change your own oil, you'll never be able to rationalize it or make the numbers work to justify it.

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
i reload all my pistol rounds for target shooting with my Dillon 550
but for self defense I leave that to the MFGs,HSTs

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I started reloading in the early 90's and haven't stopped. My reloads are cheaper, more accurate and custom tailored to my guns which most factory rounds can't offer.
IMG_0602.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
I reload pistol rounds only--have two presses (an RCBS single station and a Dillon multi-station). I've keep track of all of my costs and have paid off all of my equipment, powder, etc. at this point (and I have enough saved brass and materials that any rounds I make, until I have to buy more stuff, are "free").

But as multiple previous posters have said, the big advantage is being able to tune rounds to the gun and/or the situation. Another advantage, if you live in a state where rounds are being restricted, is that those states may not have thought to track/limit bullet or other reloading supply items.

Another point is that you have to enjoy the process, and you have to be hyper-focused (both when reloading, and when shooting reloads). Double fill a case with powder and bad things happen, forget to put powder in and you have a bullet lodged in your barrel (if you don't realize this and fire again, really bad things happen). Lastly, the books I've read on self-defense say you should never use reloads as a defensive round (imagine the plaintiff's attorney saying that you custom built the rounds to be extra-deadly).

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
I have reloaded some, for some calibers its worth the effort and expense, for others, not. I always carry factory HP loads when I pack.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
No.

The only way I'd consider it is if I were doing some serious match/competitive shooting.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.