Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aedhp.com
First Name
Jayme
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Junk. Do your research in the FI threads.
Sponsored

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
Using 87 octane when driving over 30k miles a year saves hundreds of dollars a year. I don't need high performance when sitting in traffic during my commute. I want to high performance when I want it to use it.

Sorry but I don't see the need for a couple extra horsepower when I'm commuting. Doubt that will help me more when merging on the freeway. My commute isn't filled with exotics trying to cut me off.

Not to mention many states, like AZ, only have 91 octane max available.

Until there is a solid tune that plays nice with 87, I won' even consider it. Why throw away money? (rhetorical question)
No offence, but wtf is measly 3-500$ a yr when u buy a performance car? mind u i dont know ur financial situation ... cheers

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Wait, what?:surprised:
Now that I see this I see your confusion. :)

Guess I should have specified non v8 F/I cars. They have a good track record with Ecoboosts.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
No offence, but wtf is measly 3-500$ a yr when u buy a performance car? mind u i dont know ur financial situation ... cheers
That's more than half of my insurance payment.

Just because some choose to throw money away doesn't mean all others enjoy the same.

These aren't exotic cars where talking about here, they are budget performance cars.

If a car manufacturer said they would sell you a mustang that would get 10hp over the budget model, but it would cost you $500/year for life of the vehicle to do so....not a single soul would buy it. Likewise, if someone spends $500 on a 10hp modification, everyone would say you're an idiot. But then you spend $500, year in and year out for a grand total of 10hp.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
It doesn't matter to me what fuel others use. However, I bought a car with 460 HP/420 torque and I want it all. Using 87 is basically detuning it.

When the Coyote engine was first introduced, a Ford engineer on another forum said the power difference was 5%. If that is still the case, we are talking about over 20 HP. Further, I suspect the additional spark advance available with 91 or 93 would provide better fuel economy than 87.

If a few extra bucks per fill-up bothered me, I would just save it another way on something less important to me. To each his own.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It doesn't matter to me what fuel others use. However, I bought a car with 460 HP/420 torque and I want it all. Using 87 is basically detuning it.

When the Coyote engine was first introduced, a Ford engineer on another forum said the power difference was 5%. If that is still the case, we are talking about over 20 HP. Further, I suspect the additional spark advance available with 91 or 93 would provide better fuel economy than 87.

If a few extra bucks per fill-up bothered me, I would just save it another way on something less important to me. To each his own.
This has been gone over many times before. On the 15-17GT, 93 octane is worth less than 10hp in the mid range and almost nothing up high.

As for fuel economy, the difference is also negligible.

I personally refuse to pay $300+ extra per year for horsepower that can't be felt. But again, to each their own.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
None of these things relate to the topic at hand.

I chose 87 octane because 10hp simply can't be felt in these cars, and not once have I ever wished that I only had 10 more horsepower for my daily commute.

On the other-hand, many times I wished that I could cut my insurance in half...which is precisely the savings that I have realized by utilizing 87 octane.

It's funny how some people don't care about fuel costs, but care about saving on insurance rates, or spending foolishly on modifications that add little to no horsepower.

Would you spend $300-500 EVERY YEAR on a cold air intake that gives you a measly 10 horsepower?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
So you keep your car for 5 years and that 10hp just cost you $1500. If it's worth it, good for you. I'm not seeing it personally. Again, were talking about less than 3% here.

As for economy, I wouldn't know...I don't have a tune.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Absolutely correct.

Sponsored

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
your losing hp an losing 1 mpg not going premium...I agree that premium is a rip off that's why I went e-85...but your not losing what u say u are with premium gaining the 1 mpg

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
During the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey I was forced to run 87 and I can 100% confirm that you do in fact take a hit in MPG with regular.

I can also confirm that while peak power might be down a little (sounds like 10hp is the butt dyno figure being thrown around here.. my butt dyno thought it was a little more than that), its the mid-range that really suffers.

The timing is so much slower to ramp up that the car feels dead below 5k rpm, whereas the car on 93 begins to wake up around 3500rpm.

To each their own.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
your losing hp an losing 1 mpg not going premium...I agree that premium is a rip off that's why I went e-85...but your not losing what u say u are with premium gaining the 1 mpg
It's more of a ripoff the more you indulge in it's use. For me, it doesn't make sense. The money saved for those that drive very little
During the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey I was forced to run 87 and I can 100% confirm that you do in fact take a hit in MPG with regular.

I can also confirm that while peak power might be down a little (sounds like 10hp is the butt dyno figure being thrown around here.. my butt dyno thought it was a little more than that), its the mid-range that really suffers.

The timing is so much slower to ramp up that the car feels dead below 5k rpm, whereas the car on 93 begins to wake up around 3500rpm.

To each their own.
https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content...ium-Fuel-Phase-II-Research-Report-FINAL-2.pdf

Premium gives a 2.3% fuel economy bump. That’s less than 1/2 mpg. Considering it’s 20% more expensive, it’s obvious which choice is more economical.

Again, read the report and you’ll see less than 10hp in the midrange and nearly nothing up top. Anyone noticing a SOTP difference either has bad fuel or is experiencing a hellacious placebo effect.

These are dyno tested results.
Sponsored