2017 convertible with smartTOP module

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Some people have asked for a video showing the smartTOP module being used. Here's a quickie I had my wife record after we did some burn out photos.

In it you see two things 1) one touch to close and 2) closing while driving. I've tested both closing and opening while driving, works great. I set it for the max speed the smartTOP module allows, which I think is slightly over 30mph but I don't remember exactly. The one touch is so natural, should have been like that from the start. I also have enabled the auto-down, so one second after I unlatch the roof, windows and roof come down (while driving!). It just makes the entire process feel like what one would have expected from the factory.

Let me know if you have questions.

EDIT:
WE NOW HAVE A MANUFACTURER DISCOUNT FOR THE FORUM!
"I’ve added a 5% off discount code (total 10% off of retail price) to the site with code “mustang6g”, which will be active until the end of October when purchased here: http://www.motivemods.com/Mods4Cars-Ford-smartTOP-p/m4c-sthffd2.htm"
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! thanks for posting... I will be purchasing this as it is near the top of my list of mods... Love the grabber blue and black accents by the way.. the top fits in so nicely... What spoiler do you have?

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Thanks. The Grabber Blue color is what got me into a Mustang instead of some other convertible. It really catches the eye and is very close to my favorite color.

Spoiler is MMD V-Series. I've posted a couple other pics of it recently somewhere else on the forum. Works great for convertibles.

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Yes you do. This car works with the manual latch, so unless you come up with a contraption that bypasses that mechanism, a module can only do so much. The way you wrote it it sounds like "unlatching" and "twisting the manual handle" are two separate things. It's just the one thing. I twist the handle and that's it. A second later windows and top go down. To put it up, press the up button and let it go. The whole mechanism comes up. You then twist again to close it. I don't see a way to have windows go up automatically when I latch it closed. That would be great...

Sponsored

Aggie96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Totally agree! I love my Smarttop module. Hands down the best accessory besides my Audi windscreen! Mine is set up like yours and now my top down/up experience is no different than any other high-end convertible (I really have no need for putting the top up/down via remote while outside of the car, especially since my remote never leaves my pocket and the top moves so fast) Buy it, you will thank us later!

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
My concern is that our top is operated electrically rather than older-model tops which were operated hydraulically. Perhaps the force of the wind upon opening will put undue strain on the motors? Also the roof frame components which are probably lighter may not take the stress? Finally the triple-layer top is pretty intricate and may get blown around. Bottom line is that I’m sure the top’s manufacturer and Ford have good reason to limit operation to under 3mph.

OP
OP
trojannemo

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Well, I'm certainly not going around purposefully putting the top up or down at high speeds. That's just for special circumstances where it starts raining hard and I can't stop but I can slow down a bit. Otherwise I usually put my top down before I put the car out of Park, and I put the top back up when I'm in Park again. That's only one of the benefits of the module though. The auto up and down is a great benefit in itself.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I certainly don’t mean to be contentious but even a 20 or 30mph wind against the open top is possibly a damaging force...stick your open hand into the windstream above the windshield and imagine that force against the 20 or-so square feet of your raising top.
On days where rain is possible I keep Doppler Radar up so I don’t get caught.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
There's no way Ford would have included this as the geared drive is not stout enough to handle the extra torque from wind drag.
My guess the damage would first occur in a tooth in the larger semicircle composite gear.

Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I certainly don’t mean to be contentious but even a 20 or 30mph wind against the open top is possibly a damaging force...stick your open hand into the windstream above the windshield and imagine that force against the 20 or-so square feet of your raising top.
On days where rain is possible I keep Doppler Radar up so I don’t get caught.
So if you are parked and theres a 20 mph wind you cant open your top? Sucks to own a vert in Aruba then...

I agree 30 might be excessive but hopefully anything under 15 is safe.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I seriously doubt that a 20mph ambient breeze would have the same force as a 20mph headwind into your opening/closing top. Personally I trust that both Ford and Haartz Corp (manufacturer of our tops) did extensive dynamic testing before restricting operation to 3mph max -and not simply to inconvenience us.
Personally I’m always wary of aftermarket products that claim to improve performance or operation. Not to say there aren’t some reputable products out there but there’s always a risk when you try to out-think the original engineering and design.
I know my thoughts are an outlier on this forum comprised overwhelmingly of folks who live to modify but I’m a seasoned old fart who’s been around the block and seen a lot to prove my point.

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
Love the module just not loving the price may be on my MOD list if the price comes down a little bit

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I seriously doubt that a 20mph ambient breeze would have the same force as a 20mph headwind into your opening/closing top.
Lost me here. Maybe my background in both racing and aviation. Again, how is a 20mph headwind any different from going 20mph into still air? The only obvious answer is going 20mph into a 20mph headwind is 40mph in still air and 0 with a 20mph tailwind.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Thats really cool!
Sponsored