Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
3. MT-82 with rev matching. No experience with the MT-82 other than what I've heard about on forums. Sounds like the weaknesses are less about the transmission internals and more about the shift linkage. Hopefully relatively easily remedied for all 2015 models. The rev matching would be great, as long as it is easily defeatable for those who want to heel-toe on their own.
-T
I thought people were kinda pissed that rev-match will NOT be available on the MT-82, just the 6R80(auto)???

If that is offered, the MT82 just got better altogether! It's already a fine transmission and I've also heard it needs simple fixes like what we used to call "shift dogs," but I have never looked at the internals of that model. I just know it isn't weak.
Sponsored

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Rev-matching isn't available on the MT82 in the Base, EcoBoost or GT models, but this is implying that it will be available in SVT models.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Rev-matching isn't available on the MT82 in the Base, EcoBoost or GT models, but this is implying that it will be available in SVT models.
That was my interpretation as well. I may have muddled that bit in my summary.

Normally the transmission will be sensorized so tha computer will know which gear the driver is selecting. The tranny going into the base cars will not have those sensors. I wonder if the SVT version will. I also wonder if clever software algorithms could be used to eliminate the need for extra sensors and just make the addition of rev matching a software development excercise. For example, one could assume that when under braking, a clutch engagement would cause a throttle blip appropriate for a single downshift. When under throttle, it would assume a single up shift. Of course issues would arise if someone stepped on the clutch but then went back to the original gear, so this would not be very good for street driving. In the end, liability and FMEA analysis might indicate that a purely software solution would be too risky.

I would definitely appreciate revmatching for certain situations, so I hope that feature does make it into the car eventually.

-T

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
That was my interpretation as well. I may have muddled that bit in my summary.

Normally the transmission will be sensorized so tha computer will know which gear the driver is selecting. The tranny going into the base cars will not have those sensors. I wonder if the SVT version will. I also wonder if clever software algorithms could be used to eliminate the need for extra sensors and just make the addition of rev matching a software development excercise. For example, one could assume that when under braking, a clutch engagement would cause a throttle blip appropriate for a single downshift. When under throttle, it would assume a single up shift. Of course issues would arise if someone stepped on the clutch but then went back to the original gear, so this would not be very good for street driving. In the end, liability and FMEA analysis might indicate that a purely software solution would be too risky.

I would definitely appreciate revmatching for certain situations, so I hope that feature does make it into the car eventually.

-T

I bet a clever software engineer could indeed develop a 'tune' that adds rev-matching to the regular MT-82 equipped cars, similar to the line lock. It could even be a part of selectable drive modes where under certain conditions(brake force, RPM's, clutch timing, etc.) the computer automatically blips the throttle for the next lower gear but during normal daily driving remains inactive.

Sponsored

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Sweet, use that, then hook up paddles and we're all set. :)

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
My understanding is that the carbon ceramic brakes and Multimatic shocks are a big part of the $75k price tag of the Z/28. So if the GT350 has them I wouldn't expect a price in the low 50's, I'd expect something closer to current GT500 prices.

RTD

Threads
Reaction score
Evidently it is fairly simple to add. This product is being used by a few peeps on the Boss forum.
http://auto-blip.com

IMO there is no good reason this feature is not standard on the new GT.
IMO, every single manual transmission equipped performance car these days should come from the factory with two step launch control, auto-blip rev matching, and no lift shift throttle control. It's trivial to add these features in software with any modern car.

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
IMO, every single manual transmission equipped performance car these days should come from the factory with two step launch control, auto-blip rev matching, and no lift shift throttle control. It's trivial to add these features in software with any modern car.
Yes from a software it makes sense, but the question is can the hardware take it

Sponsored

deven2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Deven
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT w/ PP
To Deven:
Ford said the GT performance will surpass the old Boss 302.
This article said the new GT350 will be similar (in terms of design intent and placement in the product lineup) to the old Boss 302.

This article is not talking about performance at all, just about the position in the lineup and the intent of the design. In other words, the GT350 is NOT intended to be like the current GT500 for example.

When you first mentioned your concern over performance due to the "similar to Boss 302" statement, I interpreted that to a misunderstanding of what this article was referring to.

Regarding the article itself, I would be pretty happy if the GT350 ended up as they are saying. Most of their points seem like natural extensions of the GT, and therefore seem plausible.

Some areas of the article that stand out:
1. No FPC for the GT350 due to cost, but maybe one for a later model. This does not make sense as the later model would seemingly be even more expensive and therefore even more limited. Seems like you'd either get the FPC in many HiPo versions to amortize development cost, or no FPC in any version at all. I still believe that no FPC at all is more likely.

2. Detailed power and RPM limits. We can't even get the power for the GT engine due to be out later this year. Not sure I trust any numbers for the HiPo engine that is another year further out. 520 HP with an 8000 RPM redline would be awesome though.

3. MT-82 with rev matching. No experience with the MT-82 other than what I've heard about on forums. Sounds like the weaknesses are less about the transmission internals and more about the shift linkage. Hopefully relatively easily remedied for all 2015 models. The rev matching would be great, as long as it is easily defeatable for those who want to heel-toe on their own.

4. Multimatic shocks. The shocks on the Z/28 have been well reviewed, and Multimatic is working with Ford Racing I believe, so using those shocks on the GT350 seems plausible.

5. Twin disc clutch and CF driveshaft are both nice updates that would reduce inertia and weight. Both seem like valuable and plausible additions.

FWIW, I also thought of ThePill when I read this article, because the style of writing is similar, and the race versions (with the S and R) reminded me of some of his thoughts from other threads (maybe the GT350 vs Z/28 thread).

No matter where the info came from, I wouldn't mind at all if it is correct. All these updates would make one heck of a car IMO.

-T
See now this makes sense. I understand that completely and that makes sense.

Thanks for the clarification.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Just take all the skill requirements out of driving while you're at it lol.

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
Let's not do this again. It should be an option, just like the PP wheels.
I would love the option of a dual clutch but I don't believe it will ever happen. I am still holding out hope Ford will eventually release a hi-po auto similar to the zf 8 speed.
IMO the "new" 6 speed auto won't be it.
Sponsored