Sponsored

Saleen Celebrates 35 years with Limited Edition 780 HP Mustang

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Here's a picture where you can compare the new facelift Black Label front bumper to the one from the pre-facelift. They basically left it unchanged except for the upper corners (to accomodate the new headlights).

I think it looks pretty good, the effect of the design just gets lost on a black car.
003a.jpg
Sponsored

Red Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Dunno...but look close.

Anyway....anything looks better than the played out over the top stripe look....
Screenshot_2018-09-29-00-11-54.png
You realize that you posted two different cars, right?

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I believe it's an Edelbrock.
Yes, you’re right. The 2018 Saleen Mustangs utilize an Edelbrock TVS with Saleen badges slapped all over it. The 2015-17 Saleens used Kenne Bell twin-screw superchargers replete with the requisite badging.

Fun fact: Rob Simons, the mastermind behind Edelbrock’s modern supercharger designs, was the man responsible for the Saleen Series VI supercharger design for the 4.6L 3V engine. While Edelbrock’s superchargers employ Eaton’s TVS rotors — and the Series VI, Lysholm twin-screw rotors — there are similarities in the designs, ie, the intercooler sits atop the rotor packs, long runners, etc.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade

Sponsored

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Change for the sake of change. Looks dumb with the blacked out inner tailight, wing is dated, fender scoops... no thanks. hood and front clip.. yuck.

Dortzs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, PP, 50 yrpks.2016 Saleen BLK LB
Here's a picture where you can compare the new facelift Black Label front bumper to the one from the pre-facelift. They basically left it unchanged except for the upper corners (to accomodate the new headlights).

I think it looks pretty good, the effect of the design just gets lost on a black car.
003a.jpg
That's my Black Label in the background:). All I can say is that once you drive a Saleen, you will understand why they are amazing. The handling is incredible, the stopping power from the big breaks is amazing. The car looks incredible in person; pictures do no justice.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/saleen-black-label-ordered.36282/page-4

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Change for the sake of change. Looks dumb with the blacked out inner tailight, wing is dated, fender scoops... no thanks. hood and front clip.. yuck.
I see what you are driving at but do realize that this is classic Steeda styling..not something new. More of a throw back.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Seeing these monstrosities makes me wonder if there's any class left in the after-market anymore. But I suppose you could get the mechanical up-grades, the power and suspension, without all that ghastly body and interior crap.

If I was going to start-up a Mustang mod company, I would focus on the car's strengths, and make them really world-class GT cars. Make the interiors nice with up-graded materials like real leather, alcantara, and focus on comfort and quality. Then upgrade the suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, and then add some power.

These aren't sports cars, they're Grand Touring cars.

Hell, the biggest issue that needs to be addressed in current Mustangs is the crappy transmissions and clutch pedal feel......or lack thereof. Transmissions and clutch pedals are Fords biggest failure with the 550s, and the one no one in the aftermarket is addressing.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Seeing these monstrosities makes me wonder if there's any class left in the after-market anymore. But I suppose you could get the mechanical up-grades, the power and suspension, without all that ghastly body and interior crap.

If I was going to start-up a Mustang mod company, I would focus on the car's strengths, and make them really world-class GT cars. Make the interiors nice with up-graded materials like real leather, alcantara, and focus on comfort and quality. Then upgrade the suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, and then add some power.

These aren't sports cars, they're Grand Touring cars.

Hell, the biggest issue that needs to be addressed in current Mustangs is the crappy transmissions and clutch pedal feel......or lack thereof. Transmissions and clutch pedals are Fords biggest failure with the 550s, and the one no one in the aftermarket is addressing.
I had an 11 GT/CS and it would not even shift gears at all if the weather was below 50ish. In my mind..anything with an MT 82 is flawed and crap no matter what you do with it. I was waiting until they came out with a GT that had a different transmission before i bought another and it took until 2018 for me to get the new auto. In the interim, i had a GT500 (Tremec 6spd manual).

Anyway back on topic. My view is that if you go Grand Touring, you really want a quiet and a ride that can swallow up the ever increasingly poor pavements out there with a soft touch. That is going to put you into something closer to the suspension of a late 70s cadiallic coupe deville. See the problem? People want their mustangs to be loud proud and to keep up with the arm chair racers comparing track times. If you want a True GT. Get a non PP GT Premium 401A along with the A10 transmission, active exhaust, and add the safe and secure package, magna ride (not sure if magna ride can even be bought on a non pp) Upgraded Stereo plus or minus recaro's. For a true grand touring highway car. You would actually want to leave off the tighter springs, tighter dampening, larger sway bars, larger sub frame support, larger radiator, strut tower brace, larger wheels and tires and i don't even see why you would need bigger brakes beyond the 4 pistons for that purpose.. You COULD make the latter list a Grand touring "sport" option but if the purpose was still to be a grand tour car, you wouldn't add all that back on. You would want something fun to drive in the mountains...probably in traffic still, and probably something that could still handle rain and slick pavement so you would at most end up with adding back PP1 Tires (def not PP2), and for a mountain drive you might add mid level springs and damperners (def not stiff), and some modest to small sway bars and strut braces (which i think the base GT already does) and you still wouldn't need the gauges, larger radiator or 6 piston brakes for a single run through the canyon or dragons tail once in a while.

To be honest, you can get most of what you are describing by simply building the car on fords web site. The aftermarket is trying to go more for the "loud looks with better track stats" crowd here. I suppose i am in the "no taste crowd" as my car is covered in graphics, has over the top wheels and is about to get a full Steeda Suspension and doesn't even have leather or the top of the line sterero system. (Although i will probably do something in the stereo department after market that is better than stock as my suspension and tires are also going to end up better than stock PP1 and in some ways, better than PP2 also). And even with investing in the suspension and tires heavily, i still dont see the need for more power (it is about using the power you have) and i don't see the need for even the PP1 radiator or brakes as the need to dissipate that much heat in either the engine or brakes comes from a type of driving i can never replicate on the streets and have a hard time doing it in the mountains. To me the weakest link in a mustang is the suspension and tires...which i can push both beyond the cars limits within a couple miles from my drive way if traffic is light...but upgrading those parts move the car in the opposite direction of "grand touring" unless you do all that "touring" on a perfect mountain road on a dry warm day.

I guess...different strokes for different folks?

Sponsored

Bigred911s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big Red
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Car looks good. I would buy one if it was in the market for SC Mustang.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Shouldn't Saleen focus on paying their Bills and not screwing people over?

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I see what you are driving at but do realize that this is classic Steeda styling..not something new. More of a throw back.

No I get it totally. Throwbacks are all the rage now. I was a kid in the late 80's and 90's when the Fox body Saleen was coveted by all. The problem with the s550 car is that it comes out the box gorgeous. And there are factory options with wheels, wings, stripes and special editions that basically allow a flavour for everyones taste.
IMO this Saleen car warps the original design that ford already nailed. The throwback wing, stripes and exaggerated body isn't an improvement. And I seriously doubt that theres any improvement in the aerodynamic properties to the car. Likely just adds weight to the gt.

All in all to each their own I guess. Im a Bullitt guy because- its stripped down, no wing, no badges, no stripes "all business" look appeals to me. Others may not agree.

Incidentally (come to think of it) the Bullit is a throwback car itself that manages to pay homage to an iconic 68 mustang..... yet doesn't look like a cartoon character doing it.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
No I get it totally. Throwbacks are all the rage now. I was a kid in the late 80's and 90's when the Fox body Saleen was coveted by all. The problem with the s550 car is that it comes out the box gorgeous. And there are factory options with wheels, wings, stripes and special editions that basically allow a flavour for everyones taste.
IMO this Saleen car warps the original design that ford already nailed. The throwback wing, stripes and exaggerated body isn't an improvement. And I seriously doubt that theres any improvement in the aerodynamic properties to the car. Likely just adds weight to the gt.

All in all to each their own I guess. Im a Bullitt guy because- its stripped down, no wing, no badges, no stripes "all business" look appeals to me. Others may not agree.

Incidentally (come to think of it) the Bullit is a throwback car itself that manages to pay homage to an iconic 68 mustang..... yet doesn't look like a cartoon character doing it.
in the late 80s the mustang LX 5.0 was faster than the mustang GT as the ground effects on the GT made it slower. The Mustang SVO was a turbo 4cy that was faster than the V8. But the greatest mustangs of all time (The late 60s Shelbys, Mach and Boss models) all had stripes, louvers, scoops, splitters etc. Even the early Shelby GT350.

Also i am pretty sure i see quarter window louvers and side scoops on the original bullit.
bullit.jpg

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
I like the rear bumper, and front fender. Don't like the front bumper.
Sponsored