Sponsored

Radiator hose spec? Best place to buy a replacement?

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
I need to replace the hose that comes out of the front of the coolant expansion tank, then runs along the front of the car on top of the radiator.

radiator_hose.jpg

It was leaking at the coolant tank when I bought the car(used). Didn't notice until I'd been driving it for a while. I replaced the stock coolant tank with a Moroso a few days ago and replaced the Ford hose clamps with standard worm-gear hose clamps as well.

Still leaking from the same spot. I then thought to check the other end of the hose at the top of the radiator, and sure enough it's been leaking there too.

There's been a thread or two about this previously and people with the same problem said the fix was to replace the hose.

So what's the spec on the hose, and where's the best place to buy a replacement? Never bought a radiator hose before, can I just go to Auto Zone and buy a length of hose? Cut it to fit?
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
That's a pretty heavily molded hose, so no sure how raw hose would fit or look.

It's the middle hose in this pic of a Mishimoto replacement set. $70 for the set btw...

394163?$enlarged810x608$.jpg

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Have you called your local Ford dealer's parts dept? I know the general rule is that dealer parts are a rip off, but a lot of times (especially for small stuff like this) the prices are very reasonable, and of course you don't have to worry about fitment. I'd call or email your local dealer before anything else.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Notice the single ear clamp in the hose near the tank? I believe that hose has a one way valve or restrictor in it so just changing it to a regular hose may not fly without the same setup.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Notice the single ear clamp in the hose near the tank? I believe that hose has a one way valve or restrictor in it so just changing it to a regular hose may not fly without the same setup.
Nope, no valve in there. just changed to a Mishimoto tank and can confirm.

Sponsored

OP
OP
xraystyle

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, no valve in there. just changed to a Mishimoto tank and can confirm.
Did you change the hose in addition to the tank? When I swapped tanks I just disconnected the hose temporarily. Didn't seem to be any way to tell if there was a check valve in there or not.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Removed the hose and emptied it. Blew out the fluid from both directions. No valve in the hose.

Fridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Manual w/PP
I need to replace the hose that comes out of the front of the coolant expansion tank, then runs along the front of the car on top of the radiator.

radiator_hose.jpg

It was leaking at the coolant tank when I bought the car(used). Didn't notice until I'd been driving it for a while. I replaced the stock coolant tank with a Moroso a few days ago and replaced the Ford hose clamps with standard worm-gear hose clamps as well.

Still leaking from the same spot. I then thought to check the other end of the hose at the top of the radiator, and sure enough it's been leaking there too.

There's been a thread or two about this previously and people with the same problem said the fix was to replace the hose.

So what's the spec on the hose, and where's the best place to buy a replacement? Never bought a radiator hose before, can I just go to Auto Zone and buy a length of hose? Cut it to fit?

I had that issue like 6,000 miles in. Replaced the clamp but still was leaking. Took it to Ford and they replaced it for free. Wasn't even same dealership.

OP
OP
xraystyle

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In case anyone was wondering, I called my local dealer and asked how much the hose would cost if I just wanted to buy a replacement. I don't really have any time in the near future to bring the car in and leave it.

They quoted me $93. For a hose.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Wow. You got hosed for a hose. :D Check junkyards. Any 15-17 hose will fit.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The hose is really the cause of the link, with a better clamp? This is hard to believe. Is it flared out at the end or something? Have you tried alternative clamping points?

OP
OP
xraystyle

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, this post is a thousand years old. I ended up just having to replace the hose. Pretty sure the one on there was way out of spec, no amount of re-clamping on either end had any effect. It just kept leaking from both sides.
Sponsored