Sponsored

Auto 6 speed jerky shifting?

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey gang,

I've got a 2016 GT Auto 6 speed, and after my recent Lund tune I've noticed it's felt REALLY jerky at low speeds shifting from 1-2. It's got 3.73 gearing in it, but it's never felt so off. I contacted Lund and they said to do a datalog, but in the meantime, thought I'd post up here.

If this has been asked previously, my apologies. My search didn't bring anything up.

The sensation is similar to when you'd shift a manual and have it at a higher RPM when you drop it into the next gear. It sort of lurches forward.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Just need Lund to soften the low throttle shifts. Welcome to firm shifting! A circle D 4C will fix that sensation;)

OP
OP

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just need Lund to soften the low throttle shifts. Welcome to firm shifting! A circle D 4C will fix that sensation;)
Thanks man. Yea, I've noticed with this car more than any other I've owned, the 6 speed tranny is.... finnicky. haha. I'll check out the 4C and hit up Lund!

*edit*

Good lord those aren't cheap. Here's hoping Lund can soften it up a bit. Haha

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Since the 4c stalls so high the firm shifts are absorbed by the converter still slipping and not being locked. Makes the low throttle driving seem like a CVT.

OP
OP

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Since the 4c stalls so high the firm shifts are absorbed by the converter still slipping and not being locked. Makes the low throttle driving seem like a CVT.
oh man. That sounds great compared to now. I'm being whipped around through these gear changes. haha

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Best mod A6 can get. Even without being a "track racer" makes the car drive sooooo much better. Friends drive mine on the street and love it. Not always bogged down low EPA rpm's.

OP
OP

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Best mod A6 can get. Even without being a "track racer" makes the car drive sooooo much better. Friends drive mine on the street and love it. Not always bogged down low EPA rpm's.
Good to hear! Even before mods I remember low speeds shifts being a little awkward. I'll have to check it out. Any thoughts on which I would want for basic bolt ons NA build? I see there's a bunch of options available.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Good to hear! Even before mods I remember low speeds shifts being a little awkward. I'll have to check it out. Any thoughts on which I would want for basic bolt ons NA build? I see there's a bunch of options available.
4c is glorious N/A. I am going blower next spring and may or may not have to send it back to be tightened up. Will see how violent the launch is. Do you have better tires? It will become a spinning machine on stock tires at mid/hard throttle.

OP
OP

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
4c is glorious N/A. I am going blower next spring and may or may not have to send it back to be tightened up. Will see how violent the launch is. Do you have better tires? It will become a spinning machine on stock tires at mid/hard throttle.
Yeeeea, still on stockies at the moment! 4C is cool, but it looks like they have different mm sizes? I need to look into it and see what's up!

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I did the 258mm on @beefcake recommendation. Call terry he will hook you up. #noregrets

Sponsored
OP
OP

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I did the 258mm on @beefcake recommendation. Call terry he will hook you up. #noregrets
Sweet, will do. Last question, did you do the install yourself? It would require pulling out the rear end right? Wonder what general cost would be to get it done...

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Sweet, will do. Last question, did you do the install yourself? It would require pulling out the rear end right? Wonder what general cost would be to get it done...
Pull the transmission, not the rear end..... Yes I did it myself. Took about 8 hrs. Prob $800 range for install at a shop. It's not hard, just lots of annoying shit.

OP
OP

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Pull the transmission, not the rear end..... Yes I did it myself. Took about 8 hrs. Prob $800 range for install at a shop. It's not hard, just lots of annoying shit.
Oh man, my favorite when something isn't difficult, just super annoying. Well, thanks for all the help dude. I'll hit up Lund and see if they can soften it up in the meantime. I've never done a TC upgrade, so this is new grounds for me.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Lund absolutely can soften it up. They did on my base tune before converter. Took a couple revs to get it to my DD liking.

OP
OP

DJJimGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Lund absolutely can soften it up. They did on my base tune before converter. Took a couple revs to get it to my DD liking.
Update: Wow, I sent an email and they immediately got back to me. It seems they get this request often enough. :p
Sponsored