C&D Lightning Lap 2018 Results for GT PP2

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
People need to consider that this is a long track. A 3 minute long track. If you are planning on taking your car on a Walmart Parking Lot Autocross type events, this shouldn’t even be a problem. A fluid swap might be an easy solution or a tune to disable the sensor or light.
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
That time gap might close up with the new 2019 redeye. 790hp is impressive. But the weight is killing them. They need a new platform and lighter weight.
Dunno, they are selling quite well as it is with minimal investment. The Camaro is the one that really needs some help.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
We're not going to buy the magazine. So could you give us a little more detail? What happened with the GT.? And for the record the PP2 doesn't come with coolers like the 1Le. So it probably went into limp mode right after the run.

Yes, after two laps.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Its interesting to see how much better the 2018 is with tuned suspension and wheel/tire combo over the 15.
I saw a 5.5 second difference at VIR when the spec tire changed for the SRF. And that was the standard configuration not the long Grand course which would increase the delta. Also there was little change in size of the tires. PP2 with both significant changes in tire and size having a big delta is not surprising at all.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Over heating in as few as 3 laps is a great showing? Sounds like that would make for a fun track day.

It's a good looking car, but the package is pointless without cooling.

Agreed. My '16 GT would go into limp mode due to A/T heat issues. The engine oil would overheat, so I had to add a Mishi oil cooler. The car would not turn, even after BMR add-ons, etc.

My Camaro, doesn't even blink. Not at Watkins Glen, not at Palmer, not at NHMS....and it handles great right out of the box - no suspension mods.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Also, the Challenger is the best daily driver out of the 3. Can't argue that back seat that can comfortably fit passengers. That comes with also being a whale and heavy.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2018#lightninglap2018cars

Temps were in the 90's and the PP2 overheated the diff every session. They don't specify warning or limp mode, I suspect warning.
It is just a DTC that is triggered. The car will not go into “limp” mode. You could ignore the warning and keep driving the car hard if you wanted to. If temps got too high, you could possibly risk some bearing damage or something along those lines, but the differential is not going to explode.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
This made me laugh. Do you know who Randy is and his resume? He might not be the very best driver in the world, but he is dam good. And it is the same old story with the higher powered Vette's that they just can't put the power down. What is the sense of having over 700+tq if you can't use it unless the entire track is 100+mph? A 720S with FAR less tire, and a LOT less torque is significantly quicker, and like I said that is on street tires that are far narrower than the huge R compounds that the Vette uses. It has too much torque for its tires/chassis to cope with at anything less than high speed.
Me too!!!

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
All this talk of overheating diff in the Mustang there all going by the factory warning light which I bet for warranty purposes is way to sensitive.

And I wouldn't give motor trend any of my money the POS rag
Ford Defense Force, Activate!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2 beat 2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody during Car and Driver lighting Lap .

2:53 vs 2:59

Different drivers and not scientific but fun to watch .

DAMN!!! My car is over almost 200 lbs lighter!!!! Holy shiza Still an amazing bargain. I like the wheels Way to go Ford!

Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I find it hilarious that people are still complaining about lack of track specific coolers on sub-$100k stock vehicles. It's not like you can't fix the issue for less than the cost of a set of tires. 10 years ago none of these cars had diff coolers.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I find it hilarious that people are still complaining about lack of track specific coolers on sub-$100k stock vehicles. It's not like you can't fix the issue for less than the cost of a set of tires. 10 years ago none of these cars had diff coolers.
Its mostly Camaro owners worried about the coolers. My car has one and yours dont. So my car is better. Type of thing.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Over heating in as few as 3 laps is a great showing? Sounds like that would make for a fun track day.

It's a good looking car, but the package is pointless without cooling.
? For you. Do you think the rear would over heat with traction control turned completely off/disabled in 3 laps?

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Its mostly Camaro owners worried about the coolers. My car has one and yours dont. So my car is better. Type of thing.
With the right cooling added to the package the PP2 would likely be a better arrive and drive track option than a SS 1LE. Without it, not so much.

RenegadeUnlimited

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Euros and Fords
This video shows the PP2 runnning almost 2:00 laps at Buttonwillow. It looks like the guy in the Video is really not even trying to hard to make a fast lap to boot. It also shows him pass a full race spec Civic Type R without even a blink and a few Porsches.

I'm impressed, however, It looks like in the Video the car through a overheated diff or trans code.

Sponsored