Sponsored

Considering a mid 80s 944 - talk me out of it

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've been looking at Porsche 944s (not a turbo version). I'm not planning to sell the Mustang. Just possibly another fun vehicle and for some smaller track action.

Anyone on here owned one? Want to talk me out of it, talk me into it...? I'm a little concerned about parts/maintenance costs, but I will probably do most of that sort of thing myself.

Also considering a power adder, but after driving them I think they aren't too bad with 150 hp. They aren't fast by any means, but they will keep up with traffic. I already have something to scratch that itch, so I wouldn't be in a rush to add power. I like that they weigh about 1,000 lbs less than the Mustang and have really good weight balance.
Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
I've been looking at Porsche 944s (not a turbo version). I'm not planning to sell the Mustang. Just possibly another fun vehicle and for some smaller track action.

Anyone on here owned one? Want to talk me out of it, talk me into it...? I'm a little concerned about parts/maintenance costs, but I will probably do most of that sort of thing myself.

Also considering a power adder, but after driving them I think they aren't too bad with 150 hp. They aren't fast by any means, but they will keep up with traffic. I already have something to scratch that itch, so I wouldn't be in a rush to add power. I like that they weigh about 1,000 lbs less than the Mustang and have really good weight balance.
I'll admit I'm no Porche expert but I remember these growing up and was under the impression that they were more VW than Porche and were kind of crappy built, not really the Porche experience I think you want. If the price is right, get it and then you can always flip it.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Found this info, seems legit- https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/684580-newbie-944-vs-928-a.html
"I have owned a 944 street car still have an 944 race car and 951 street car. My parents own a 91 928 S4.

There is a big difference between the cars. The 928 is big GT car. Luxury, comfort, and speed all rolled into one. They are not tossble, but can be hustled through corners. They are more complex and that means more prone to systems failures because they have more systems to fail. Their V8's are nice motors, but are not great on fuel. 15-20 mpg is about all you get. 10k probaby will get you a pretty ratty example.

On the 944 is on the far end of the specturm. Very torquy 2.5L motor, but not fast in a straight line by today's standards. Rather nimble and more minimalist than the rest. Great driver and great car at speed, but won't win any drag races. Up at 70 mph it can accelerate pretty good though. Better than alot of other cars at that speed. For 10k you can get a very nice car and keep lost of cash in your pocket for repairs or other things. high 27-30 mpg on the hwy.

The 951... great car. Just as fast as 928, but does require more revs and more gearbox work to get there. Turbo boost is fun when you want it, but can be annoying because while it has ok torque the power below 3000 rpm feels weak compared to the power above 3000. The difference is staggering and it makes the 951 feel slower at lower RPM than it really is. With mods you can lots of power and speed. Done right it costs money and works. Done poorly is is cheap and unreliable. As for fuel mileages. Upper 20's on the hwy if you stay out of the boost. However even driving hard on the street I can't get less than 20 mpg. 10k will get you a solid car, but you will need to look closely.

There is also the 944S, 944S2 and 968. These are all non turbo cars with 2.5 to 3.0L 16v engines."

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'll admit I'm no Porche expert but I remember these growing up and was under the impression that they were more VW than Porche and were kind of crappy built, not really the Porche experience I think you want. If the price is right, get it and then you can always flip it.
Porsche and VW are pretty similar in my mind as well. One thing I really like about even the modern 911s I've driven is how thin the doors are, but yet how precisely they fit/close/open. Reminds me of the 76 Beetle I drove for a while in high school. Yes the 944 definitely fits into a different category than most Porsches. I can't afford an old 911 and I'm not going to spend tens of thousands on something like that. I agree they are pretty much done depreciating at this point, which is a positive.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to date myself. I bought myself a brand new chocolate brown 944 back in 1983, (the first year for the 944), and drove the hell out of her. I owned it til 1988 and put a lot of miles on her. The only reoccurring problem I had with the car was the throttle controller. Also the factory clutch used rubber instead of springs in its construction which gave out long before the clutch wore out. So if it has a factory Porsche clutch plan on changing it out. Then in the mid 90's I had one that I ran in the Porsche cup series while I lived in Florida. I feel they are a very good car and if my wife didnt have nightmares about my 944 (track issues) I would own another one as a daily driver in a quick minute.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I am going to date myself. I bought myself a brand new chocolate brown 944 back in 1983, (the first year for the 944), and drove the hell out of her. I owned it til 1988 and put a lot of miles on her. The only reoccurring problem I had with the car was the throttle controller. Also the factory clutch used rubber instead of springs in its construction which gave out long before the clutch wore out. So if it has a factory Porsche clutch plan on changing it out. Then in the mid 90's I had one that I ran in the Porsche cup series while I lived in Florida. I feel they are a very good car and if my wife didnt have nightmares about my 944 (track issues) I would own another one as a daily driver in a quick minute.
Thanks for the post! A lot of good information there.

I felt from driving it that the car was surprisingly comfortable and easy to drive. I'm 6'4", but I fit fine. It's not ever scary getting on the throttle like the GT350 can be, but that's ok for some occasional drives around town. The more I read about these old 944s it seems trying to add power isn't the greatest idea. I should probably just accept the car as is and if I get sick of it then just sell. In everyday traffic commuting to work I don't need a bunch of power anyway.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
That's definitely the case with the 924, not necessarily the 944.

I'd go as late model as possible, with the higher spec ones getting the nod (S, S2, etc.) -- from what I've read, the 944 is starting to appreciate, so better get one now....

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
If you have the extra time and money for a classic, go for it.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well, I bought an '86 944. I really like it. The things that bug me the most right now are the super long throws on the shifter and the vibrations from the 4 cylinder. It could also use a much quicker steering rack.

As far as driving, turning, etc. I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I like the car. The size of the car is perfect in my opinion and it feels very agile with the 50/50 weight balance. I don't even feel like it really needs more power. I can drive the Mustang if I feel the need for more acceleration. I'm excited to get the 944 out on a small local track and see how it does there.

slowcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cobra
I was looking into getting a 924 as a fun weekend car. i picked up a 2006 BMW 325i 6 speed instead.

Some of the things about the 924 that worried me:

1) relatively expensive to maintain - and there will be maintenance - very old car
2) the 924 is not very fast, im sure the 944 turbo is much faster, but again, more $$$ maintenance
3) not comfortable taking it on cross country road trips (or even 200 miles for that matter) - would be worried about something breaking down

That said, im sure if you could do most of the work yourself, it would be a lovely car.

Shameless plug - you can search for forum 944's easily here:

https://hiddenrides.com/?&query=944...ear_min=0&year_max=1000000000&order_by=Newest

Sponsored

slowcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cobra
Well, I bought an '86 944. I really like it. The things that bug me the most right now are the super long throws on the shifter and the vibrations from the 4 cylinder. It could also use a much quicker steering rack.

As far as driving, turning, etc. I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I like the car. The size of the car is perfect in my opinion and it feels very agile with the 50/50 weight balance. I don't even feel like it really needs more power. I can drive the Mustang if I feel the need for more acceleration. I'm excited to get the 944 out on a small local track and see how it does there.
nice! guess my post was too late..enjoy!

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
nice! guess my post was too late..enjoy!
Thanks for posting anyway. Yeah, I was never really looking at 924s, just the 944. And I didn't want to spend the dough on a turbo model. The reviews I've read say the regular 944 is pretty similar for driving fun and easier/cheaper to maintain.

Now after driving it some more the other peeves are a dark dash and dim headlights at night. I'm not sure whether I will dump a bunch of time and money into fixing it or just enjoy it for a while and sell it. Who knows, I might try to sell it next spring and just get out with some fun experiences and not too many busted knuckles.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
No way I'd try to talk you out of a 944, as they were incredibly awesome cars, and I also would love to resto one and have fun with it.

Consider coil-overs, especially in the rear end, to help that stupid torsion-bar suspension not sag, and then just make the rest as you want. Brakes, suspension, engine tuning, interior, all that good stuff. They are gorgeous cars, and really fun to drive. Small, light, nimble, fun. Plus they can come with a sunroof, which is the biggest issue I have with Mustangs.

Here's Wheeler Dealers doing a 944 Turbo.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for the thoughts. Mine has coil overs on the front already, but not in the rear.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Thanks for the thoughts. Mine has coil overs on the front already, but not in the rear.
If you do it, start a thread here about it please. Lots of pics. I love 944s.
Sponsored