Drag Radial Newbie...questions

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I ordered some wheels from AM on Tuesday and they were delivered on Friday. 9 X 17 "Bullitt" style wheels designed for older Mustangs. With their discount code, they were under $100 each and fit the rear of an S550 perfectly. They weigh around 22 pounds. Obviously not wide enough for 305 or 315 series tires but hopefully adequate for 275 drag radials on a stock GT.
bullitt wheels.jpg

Stang8psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT
For what it’s worth I run a 305/45/17 et Street s/s on my 3.15 rear geared A6 and in +2000 Da was trapping 117 pretty easily. I have only a Gt350 Cai and pbd tune,cjpp springs and PP struts and shocks, and rear lockout kit, with race star 17x4.5 front and 17x9.5 rear. I have long tubes and E85 tune to add when the Da gets lower in better air should easily put the car in a mid or lower 11’s and trap in the 120+mph with the 28” and 3.15 rear gear
D973E1C0-F95F-44D0-9B8F-039CDC847037.jpeg
E2580150-71DC-4396-B1CF-66DB8E1DE34B.jpeg
6A8DBF5C-70B2-42E7-BA44-B5537253FE07.jpeg

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Good numbers, stang8psi!

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Because of the springs I think the 28” would’ve rubbed. The 26 is fine and I have driven on them for a few weeks and it’s been fine!
Glad to hear, I may try the 26s next time I need front runners.

OP
OP

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
All, thanks for your input. It appears that a stock tire is something like 27.3 in diameter, and 9 or 9.5 rim, and you are recommending dropping to a 26 diameter tire to effectively make a minor gearing change.
Also, keep a wide enough tire on it to increase contact patch...

I doubt I will ever add any significant power to the car, I plan to keep it at stock, or maybe add one of the Ford Powerpacks. And yes, your assumptions are correct-I am an Occasional drag racer just for fun, want to keep costs way down, don't care enough to get skinny fronts or heavily modify the car. My only real goal is to have a 12 second car, full stock it runs 13.06 with traction issues. With slicks and a driver mod or two, I am confident I can reach mid-upper12's.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I will be trying out some MT ET street R drag radials on the 23rd. They are 275/40-17 on 9 inch rims. They are 26.1 inches tall and have a tread width of 10.2 inches.

I have a 3.55 gear so these should give me the equivalent of approximately 3.70. Weight of wheel/tire combo is 51.5 pounds....almost 10 less than the 285/35-19s on 10 inch rims that I have been running.

I will let you know how they work out.
0910181123a_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
RIBS, they must not apply VHT to the starting line at your track. They do where I typically run and stock A6 Mustangs barely break traction at all. 15-17s with the 3.15 gear are typically in the low 13s to high 12s.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Just a quick follow up: The MT ET street R tires stick extremely well. I highly recommend them. They totally solved my wheel hop issue that I had with stock tires. For a car with no power adders, I think the 275/40-17s are fine. They are a bit lighter than larger tires and the 26.1 diameter give you a little bit deeper overall gear. Of course, if you add significantly more power, likely a larger tire would be better.

One thing I noticed that is probably common with all drag radials. They pick up every bit of dirt, loose rubber marbles, small rocks and anything else that you happen to drive through. It is like they are covered with glue. On my first run, I gave them a pretty good burn out - just enough to see some smoke. On my subsequent runs, I basically just spun them enough to clean off the debris. No significant burn out needed. I ran 20 PSI.

I would not want to drive these very far on the street. My track is 110 miles away so I carried them in the trunk with the rear seats folded down and changed them at the track. If your track is closer and there is no chance of rain, you could drive them to the track.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
To fit both wheel/tires in, did you have to go through the passenger compartment, or both by the trunk?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
To fit both wheel/tires in, did you have to go through the passenger compartment, or both by the trunk?
Through the trunk. I placed a piece of cardboard in the trunk and put the first tire/wheel assembly on it. It would then slide easily up and into the rear seat area with the seats folded. The second one fit easily in the trunk. The cardboard worked well since the tire will not slide on the trunk carpet and it would be hard to manhandle without being able to slide it. Besides, the cardboard keeps the trunk clean. Plenty of room left for jack, tire wrench and helmet bag, too.

Seems like loading through the passenger compartment would be much more difficult.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Just a quick follow up: The MT ET street R tires stick extremely well. I highly recommend them. They totally solved my wheel hop issue that I had with stock tires. For a car with no power adders, I think the 275/40-17s are fine. They are a bit lighter than larger tires and the 26.1 diameter give you a little bit deeper overall gear. Of course, if you add significantly more power, likely a larger tire would be better.

One thing I noticed that is probably common with all drag radials. They pick up every bit of dirt, loose rubber marbles, small rocks and anything else that you happen to drive through. It is like they are covered with glue. On my first run, I gave them a pretty good burn out - just enough to see some smoke. On my subsequent runs, I basically just spun them enough to clean off the debris. No significant burn out needed. I ran 20 PSI.

I would not want to drive these very far on the street. My track is 110 miles away so I carried them in the trunk with the rear seats folded down and changed them at the track. If your track is closer and there is no chance of rain, you could drive them to the track.

As you start more aggressive launches, and/or add power you will need more burnout, and lower pressure. The R compound is super soft, but needs some heat to get crazy grippy.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I started with 20 psi and expected to go lower after the first run or two but didn't bother. I was so happy to have eliminated my wheel hop and getting into the 11s, I just left them alone. Next time I go to the track, I will be trying to improve my times and that will likely require less air and more burn out.
Sponsored