Sponsored

DO I Really Need a CAI?

AXO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt, Ruby Red Metallic, Premium, PP, 401a
I am about to pull the trigger on a CAI and Tune. 2016 GT 401a with MBRP Street catback & K&N drop-in air filter. My car is street driven.

Does a CAI really give you any significant performance gains combined with a tune. Everything I have read indicated higher ambienent temps with a CAI. I live in South Florida were the heat is Ridiculously hot. I know Ford engineered a decent airbox. I am currently running a K&N drop-in filter. Will my gains be noticeably better with a CAI?

I am leaning towards a Lund tuner.

Thanks in Advance, Jeff
Sponsored

Last edited:

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Couple of HP at most.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Since you've got a K&N, and you're right about the OEM box being nicely heat isolated, if you want a little more improvement, pick up an intake tube (like a Mishimoto, there's a few used on here).

It improves the flow a bit, "deletes" all the sound tube mess (looks great too), 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of some CIAs, and uses the stock box. A few of us have done this:

- drop in filter
- Mishi intake tube
- removed carbon filter from airbox (some have dremeled it "cleaner")
- added Velossa Tech intake ducts

And that doesn't created any additional IATs idling around town for me (North FL), in fact, they're occasionally lower (probably the ducts isolating the intake air a little better)

Reactions: AXO

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The best ones give you 5-10hp max. If you are looking to squeeze every little bit of power out, I guess you can justify it. For a bit more cash you can get headers, which are worth more like 15hp. Since you have a 16, the money would be better spent on a tune and a 2018 IM.

OP
OP
AXO

AXO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you've got a K&N, and you're right about the OEM box being nicely heat isolated, if you want a little more improvement, pick up an intake tube (like a Mishimoto, there's a few used on here).

It improves the flow a bit, "deletes" all the sound tube mess (looks great too), 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of some CIAs, and uses the stock box. A few of us have done this:

- drop in filter
- Mishi intake tube

And that doesn't created any additional IATs idling around town for me (North FL), in fact, they're occasionally lower (probably the ducts isolating the intake air a little better)
Thanks, I will most likely go this route!

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

- drop in filter
- Mishi intake tube

I'd put this set up against any aftermarket CAI!

OP
OP
AXO

AXO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Bootlegger. I plan on installing a set of long tube headers with CAT deletes sometime in the future. I know this is the best bet for HP/TQ increases. MY 16 is almost paid for, so an 18 is out of the question.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Thanks Bootlegger. I plan on installing a set of long tube headers with CAT deletes sometime in the future. I know this is the best bet for HP/TQ increases. MY 16 is almost paid for, so an 18 is out of the question.
18 IM = 18 Intake Manifold. It’s a simple swap, and provides nice gains with a tune. Someone had done dyno comparisons, and found that a ported 18 IM was similar to the expensive cobra jet IM in power increase.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks, I will most likely go this route!
@AXO I will have a Mishi intake tube(black) and k&n drop-in filter later this week, only used for a few months. Going boost so longer needed. PM me if interested!

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Couple HP at most is being generous... Gives your ride a throatier sound.. Tuner may be able to make a little more power with it, but don't expect the ridiculous claims made by sites like AM saying your going to get +30 and change from one..

Sponsored

Theisland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP
Has anyone done a 2018 intake manifold with a oem 2015 GT intake? And produced the same results as 2018 manifold with cai?

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
Save your money.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Has anyone done a 2018 intake manifold with a oem 2015 GT intake? And produced the same results as 2018 manifold with cai?
One thing to note, the stock intake tube on the 2018s is considerably larger than the 2015-2017s. 108mm? 112mm? something like that, which is on par with the aftermarket offerings.

I like the idea of a 2015-2017 with a 2018 intake manifold, intake tube, and airbox. Should be a nice OEM+ upgrade.

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
I wasted my money getting a non-tune CAI. Doing it all over again I would only have bought a tune required CAI, that is what I have now and it made a difference.

If you dont want to tune the car I would just get a better drop in filter like the K&N.
Sponsored