Sponsored

I went through a puddle...

Soton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I went through a puddle. Yes, it was a bit deep though not impassible and given the situation I couldn't stop or reverse. After going through it I started getting "Service AdvanceTrac" and "Hill Start" is turned off warnings. Please tell me this will dry out in the morning? It studdered oddly as I backed into the driveway too. :frown:
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soton

Soton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
How is it today?
It happened Friday night, lights were still there Saturday morning. On Saturday I disconnected the negative lead on the battery for a bit, reconnected it and the lights were off only to come back a few minutes later. Called a dealership to have them check it out. No lights when I started it up and no lights the entire drive there. Talked to the service department and they said bring it back in when they come back on. No lights on the entire ride home (about 30 minutes each way) but about 5 minutes from my house the check engine light blinked for a few seconds then went off never to reappear again. Two hours later I took it out and lights were back, drove it 2 or 3 miles to a parking lot, turned it off, turned it back on and lights were gone for the rest of the drive back home. This morning (Sunday now) turned it on, no lights and drove it 45 minutes with no issues. Its getting PPF and ceramic coating now so it'll sit for a few days.
(*Lights mean warning lights, not head lights.)

I did talk to one service rep at a different dealership and he said it sounds like there may be an exposed wire somewhere and that he sees it from time to time with new Fords and when the water hits it it causes a short causing everything to light up. I have an appointment with them for Thursday and he said they'll try to find it.

Any thoughts? It's been raining constantly since Friday night. It seems to be diminishing, hopefully.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
The exposed wiring theory sounds plausible. The variety of codes and lights seems to indicate some sort of short. I would venture to say its some sensor around the wheel or brake area, based on the warnings you got. It's good you are taking it in. Let us know what you find.

OP
OP
Soton

Soton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Finally got it into the dealer today. The warning lights have not made any appearancrs since the aforementioned Saturday, the day after their first appearance. Dealer pulled the codes but said everything is working so we're going to let sleeping dogs lie and assume water touched something it wasn't supposed to. One of the codes was related to the air bags so they're going to replace the airbag control module. Moral of the story, stay away from standing water!

Unrelated but I'll use this to ask, is the Mustang transmission supposed to take some force and almost "click" into gear when shifting? I'm embarrassed to ask but this is the first manual I've driven for any length of time in a long time and the last times were not on sports cars.

Thanks

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Finally got it into the dealer today. The warning lights have not made any appearancrs since the aforementioned Saturday, the day after their first appearance. Dealer pulled the codes but said everything is working so we're going to let sleeping dogs lie and assume water touched something it wasn't supposed to. One of the codes was related to the air bags so they're going to replace the airbag control module. Moral of the story, stay away from standing water!

Unrelated but I'll use this to ask, is the Mustang transmission supposed to take some force and almost "click" into gear when shifting? I'm embarrassed to ask but this is the first manual I've driven for any length of time in a long time and the last times were not on sports cars.

Thanks
I've noticed with the MT-82 that if the transmission isn't warmed up yet it can have a little more resistance going into gears sometimes, don't think I would describe it as a click though. If the car is still at the dealer maybe have them check it out?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I've noticed with the MT-82 that if the transmission isn't warmed up yet it can have a little more resistance going into gears sometimes, don't think I would describe it as a click though. If the car is still at the dealer maybe have them check it out?
Ditto...

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I'm not in a Bullitt but I can agree here. Basically the entire car from front to back acts differently when cold. Exhaust, transmission, drivetrain, clutch. Even the interior panels will pop and snap a bit as the interior gets warm. I just laugh at it all, but it's definitely an external and internal temperature sensitive machine.

OP
OP
Soton

Soton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
More transmission questions - I've come to see the point about warming up but two things I noticed, and perhaps I'm just ignorant, but hoping to hear other's opinion.

1) When going slow like pulling out of a parking space and driving in a parking lot I hear this sound right after I press the clutch pedal. When it gets to the floor and about a half second later I hear a slow mechanical sound. Some people have told me it sounds like cables rubbing together but sometimes it sounds like a soft metal click. Its usually just going into 1st and 1st to 2nd. Is that normal clutch operation I'm hearing?

2) Secondly, usually happens early on after starting the car when going up into 2nd and up into 3rd I feel the transmission physically push back and not let me into gear. It only takes a second before it let's me go but it's the physical push back that has got me wondering if that's normal. Never any issues on down shifts. Any thoughts?

It's going back to the dealer for the bad airbag module so I'll ask them but wanted to make sure it's not just my out of touch manual transmission skills that are causing me to worry. Thanks.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
More transmission questions - I've come to see the point about warming up but two things I noticed, and perhaps I'm just ignorant, but hoping to hear other's opinion.

1) When going slow like pulling out of a parking space and driving in a parking lot I hear this sound right after I press the clutch pedal. When it gets to the floor and about a half second later I hear a slow mechanical sound. Some people have told me it sounds like cables rubbing together but sometimes it sounds like a soft metal click. Its usually just going into 1st and 1st to 2nd. Is that normal clutch operation I'm hearing?

2) Secondly, usually happens early on after starting the car when going up into 2nd and up into 3rd I feel the transmission physically push back and not let me into gear. It only takes a second before it let's me go but it's the physical push back that has got me wondering if that's normal. Never any issues on down shifts. Any thoughts?

It's going back to the dealer for the bad airbag module so I'll ask them but wanted to make sure it's not just my out of touch manual transmission skills that are causing me to worry. Thanks.
I don't think I've ever heard the sound you're describing. The transmission being hard to get into gear could be part of the cold thing, but mine is just usually a little more clunky, it's never physically kept me from shifting. I'll be curious to hear what the dealer thinks.
Sponsored