Sponsored

SCT Must stop selling tuners after EPA...

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like it could be as easy as removing the option to turn off any required sensors (like O2s) and people would just have to go back to ignoring CELs?

Are they going to go after everyone now or is Derive just to send the message?

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
This could get interesting, if you update your SCT tuner and they erase your tunes and disable anything emissions related, what do you do? hope you kept your stock parts I guess.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
This isn't the first time. Google EPA and H&S. Completely shut them down for a long time.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
This could get interesting, if you update your SCT tuner and they erase your tunes and disable anything emissions related, what do you do? hope you kept your stock parts I guess.
If you have a custom tune, from a tuner, they can give you the file and it can be easily reloaded onto the tuner...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Seems like it could be as easy as removing the option to turn off any required sensors (like O2s) and people would just have to go back to ignoring CELs?

Are they going to go after everyone now or is Derive just to send the message?
Really gotta wait and see just how it pans out. There's a few they could go after obviously, but haven't seen anything on other companies at this time.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
If you have a custom tune, from a tuner, they can give you the file and it can be easily reloaded onto the tuner...
Reloading the tune won't work if SCT has disabled access to fueling tables.

"Under the terms of the settlement, Derive must stop introducing new noncompliant tuners into commerce and retrofit existing tuners so that they comply with the Clean Air Act."

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
See, to me this is complete crap. Put the onus on the individual who owns the car. The device doesn't magically make the car not compliant, the person loading the tune onto the car does.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
See, to me this is complete crap. Put the onus on the individual who owns the car. The device doesn't magically make the car not compliant, the person loading the tune onto the car does.
Actually, agreed. Off road use is still legal.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, agreed. Off road use is still legal.
Exactly. If you want to use this for a race car or track-only car, go nuts, as it's perfectly legal. Wayyyy overstepping/horrible execution of intent here by the EPA.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
Reloading the tune won't work if SCT has disabled access to fueling tables.

"Under the terms of the settlement, Derive must stop introducing new noncompliant tuners into commerce and retrofit existing tuners so that they comply with the Clean Air Act."

Thats the tune that comes preloaded. The software your tuner uses will still work I bet.

Regardless of what options exist in my x4 my prp software will allow me to do whatever I want. The tuner at that point is merely a medium to koad the tune onto the ecm

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
This is the EPA going after easy targets to get negative attention off of them. This entire administration has balked at taking care of the future of the planet so badly, they're getting desperate to look better.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
That would require personal accountability, something sorely lacking in today's society.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
They may start marketing them as "off road use only" like many companies that make aftermarket parts do.

Honestly though, it shouldn't bee too big of a deal. Just means the tuner can't be lazy and flip the rear 02's off, which is a good thing if you're like me and live in an emissions-tested county.

A good quality tune should still be within the confines of the law as it is not an outright ban. Just a requirement that they bring their tunes into compliance with the act.
Sponsored