Confirmed: Mustang GT PP2 Overheats in 3 laps on track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
I keep on saying it because it is true. The Mustang GT PP2 was the ONLY car that overheated.
(so stop trying to make excuses and insulting other cars)
Touchy much?

The CTR is well known to over heat...perhaps not on the LL results which is good for them.

I do remember the Stinger having brake pad issues.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Still haven't purchased the 1LE yet?
I have no idea what an SS 1LE has to do with this thread. This is about the Mustang GT PP2.

It does suck that Ford didn't include coolers, but the problem is that the car isn't setup for them from the factory.

Unlike the GT350, which, from the beginning, had multiple versions with the coolers. It was only the 2015 and 2016 base and technology pack cars that lacked the coolers. It was therefore trivial for Ford to add the coolers (which should have been standard from the start) on all versions starting in 2017.

The regular GT would need more invasive changes to accommodate coolers,
That is actually a good point. Thanks for pointing that out.

OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Those of us who have been into performance driving for a while understand such details and make our choices with those aspects in mind. ...

You're reaching a bit too far here. A difference in degree I'll give you, but not that it's a binary "street tire does/PSC2 does not" situation. You can't get a true street tire like the MPSS up to its best grip temperature in legal street driving either. So it really doesn't matter if you can't get your true street tires to make 1.2g peak grip or you can't get your weenie R-comps up to 1.5g when fully legal street driving holds you down under 0.5g. Even at 0.8+g when you're running away and hiding from everything else on the road there's still plenty of cushion for not being able to push tread temperatures up to optimum.

Are there better choices for street driving that never steps beyond 'moderate'?
Sone valid points, also.

I still don't know why anyone would want a daily driver with 305-Cup2 tires if they were never going to track it.

It's like walking around everyday with one condom in each of your four pockets when you have no intentions of having sex.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Sone valid points, also.

I still don't know why anyone would want a daily driver with 305-Cup2 tires if they were never going to track it.

It's like walking around everyday with one condom in each of your four pockets when you have no intentions of having sex.
BREAKING NEWS: This just in......different people have different wants, needs, and opinions. Not everyone has to align with what you think is right, and they are not wrong for differing in opinion. So for the love of all that is good, STOP crying like a baby all over the forum. Another week, same guy griping about the same car he doesn't own. Nothing new to see here.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
So, PP2 GT laps faster than a SS 1LE. Got it. Not too bad for an inferior chassis and all.

Sponsored

Lightning Struck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue PP2
I haven't had any issues DD'ing my PP2 this summer. Even being caught in a couple unexpected rain storms wasn't that big of an issue

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For some people, PSC2's might simply be the tires supplied with the car opted the way they wanted for any number of other reasons. Not really any different than buying a car with wheels and tires far less serious than desired when the car is otherwise a close fit.

Norm

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I keep on saying it because it is true. The Mustang GT PP2 was the ONLY car that overheated.
(so stop trying to make excuses and insulting other cars)

The Honda Civic Type R you mentioned is actually one of the cars that C&D highlighted as being able to take all they threw at it and as being a first rate track car. Here is what they said:
The Civic R overheated during the Motor Trend Best Drivers Car test....The PP2 apparently did not.

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
I wonder if a simple fluid change would help with heat issues? I don’t know if the PP2 comes with the same 75w85 differential lube my Base GT came with, and I’m not an engineer, but I’m pretty sure that lube was fuel economy driven.

I dont track my car but it is a Mustang so I’ve had my share of back rd racing and general aggressive driving. Didn’t all the S197 GT’s call for 75w140 synthetic lube?

I installed Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110 in my differential. That or even the 75w140 Severe Gear or a similar lube would probably help the heat issue or at least keep protecting even with the extreme temps.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
I don't mod my daily. So all your points are pointless in my world. I have other toys. Many. This is strictly a dd.

Ps you forgot the torsen and gears

Don't want the 3.5s or 3.7s. Traction is a problem as it is...bigger tires are needed as it is. I might even have switched 3.55s down to 3.15s. The need for 3.73 and 4.10s stems from the days when stang only had 200 to 300 hp/tq and has long been outdated (unless you are extremely skilled and focused on 60ft times) I learned the hard way that anything much above 400tq only results in increased wheel spin or with sticky tires..wheel hop (thus the need for the stronger bars) and you can lose a race in a 620+ plus tq car but you'll put on one heck of a show doing it...and the diff in keeping traction and losing it can be measured in milimeters and or the ability to feather a throttle while modulating a clutch. Mine is a DD also...and I specifically did not want those problem created by the shorter gears and then requiring suspension mods to counter act.

I totally get that you didn't want to do mods and completely respect and endorse that approach as well. It's not a right or wrong thing...its more of a presonal approach thing so apologies if I came off with a "im right you are wrong" tone.

FWIW...depending on how these 20s look I very well may also end up needing to lower it which will result in lower (and stiffer than stock Springs)...yet another PP1 mod (we both forgot that one) covered that I might have had to redo anyone in lowering a pp model. Again, just not a good value for me.

As I said earlier...your miledge may vary.

In the end, I'll prob have the same $4,000 in it (probably more) just a bit more customized to my goals and not included in my payments/interest.

As my dad used to say "more than one way to skin a cat".

So what are you other toys? My other DD is a 2014 Raptor with SVT option but it's 100% stock except for the dual 10 subs under the seat. It's sort of my "beater". No other 4 wheel toys atm though .

Last edited:

Sponsored

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
↑↑↑ Maybe the best parts of the PP1 package are the ones you can't get separately either from Ford or the aftermarket - at any price. I'm talking about the unique stability control, EPAS, and ABS calibrations here.

The next best parts (that you can manage to backfit or upgrade via the aftermarket) would include brake rotors that DON'T have the base-level backwards airflow design, the chassis tuning, and the wheel/tire package.

Norm

Completely agree. However if you are old like me....the inevitable softer ride from those things being missing seems as much of a benefit to me as it may seem as a negative to you. ;) I want a muscle car that I can DD...not a Track monster.

I will point out that a Lunde racing or VMP tune is going to wipe out a lot of that "unique tuning" however....maybe not for tighter suspension but ill have to disagree that stock suspension Spring calubration and bars are the defacto best...i wouldn't make that claim. Pp1 brakes and rotors are $1200

Last edited:

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Touchy much?

The CTR is well known to over heat...perhaps not on the LL results which is good for them.

I do remember the Stinger having brake pad issues.
Timeless...whars up man??...long time no see...its been ...years! You are in cola right?

Back on topic.

My GT500 had those F1 (super car tires) can't remember the size up front and took lazy to look it up . They were super sticky though and tramlined all to heck and back on wrightsboro rd in my home town...aggrivatingly so.

Sticky fronts is indeed a fine line between extra turning performance and sacrificing driveability.

Last edited:

93tankus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2
Thought I would chime in on this entertaining thread with a couple of (maybe) relevant points:

1. I tracked my PP2 yesterday and it was glorious! Four 15-20 minute sessions pushing as hard as I could. Rear diff never approached overheating temp.

2. I did the two hour drive back home. In the (gasp) rain! Zero issues whatsoever.

I fricking love this car!!

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
If Ford did add a diff cooler option for $1K + then we could bitch about that being too expensive and the car shouldn't need it. Ironically, I would have checked that option box.

Yes, for the minimal quantity of Mustangs that get 'tracked' they need a diff cooler. Anybody care to chime in on the low percentage of cars that get 'tracked'? The great majority of Mustang buyers will never, ever have their car on a track and Mustang beats the crap out of Camaro in sales. Therefore, you get this:
So, does anyone make a diff cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.