Check your splitter install

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Wow.... no longer a sticky. :-(

JTVUDOO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Don’t trust just the look, mine was missing 4 of the 8 7mm screws and looked fine front front. . I’ve even pointed out poor installs in a dealerships showroom. Double check is better than loosing a splitter on the freeway.

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
Why is this still happening? Went 700 miles out of state to buy a new '18 R (screaming deal thanks to @lightrules ) As a condition of delivery I had the dealer put the car in the air so I could check the splitter install. In the first glance I noticed all 4 of the 45 deg screws were not installed. Suspecting the rest of the install I had them remove the splitter completely and ship it to me, but after disassembly it was apparent that only the 45 screws had been omitted, but it was easier to drive back without it anyway. I made it a point to impress upon the salesman, sales manager, and the senior guy in the shop about how critical the installation is and the potential hazards of doing it wrong. DO NOT BUY A CAR WITH IT ALREADY INSTALLED unless you put it on a lift and LOOK!!

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
It’s still happening because the dealerships are sort independently owned and operated franchise. It seems that the only recourse is dealing with managers and service writers who are limited by the hierarchy within that individual dealership. “Ford” does not pay the dealer to install the equipment, the buyer pays the dealer as additional fees at the time of purchase so the complaints and or subsequent corrective actions are at the dealer level, not corporate.

Rationale is dependent on the location and the level of professionalism demonstrated by the technician to the GM at each location.

Additionally we can file complaints through Ford but I don’t known what really happens. That is ambiguous at the consumer level.

Right or wrong, I think that is the mechanics of it. Maybe an insider can provide more clarity.

That said, my opinion is this is ridiculous. We should not care or know about the process. It just needs to be right.

If I can get corporate’s attention, please provide more training, billed time, and an accountable QA inspection process. If anyone of us can clearly see it is not installed, then why can’t the technician? Unacceptable! I am part of the problem because I did not file an official or informal complaint when the dealer botched mine during the recal because they made me so mad I did it myself. Why? Because I would have had to take back to the same dealer and that was not happening. New job at the time and not enough vacation time to take the day off.

I have said it before but these cars should only be sold through a SVO/SVT/Ford Performance certified dealer. This would improve customer satisfaction exponentially.

The sales downside is the perceived lure to the dealership will help sell other cars.

Meanwhile we keep on informing others.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
For cases of missing screws, are you guys getting them from the dealer or is there a suitable/size replacement available somewhere else?

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
For cases of missing screws, are you guys getting them from the dealer or is there a suitable/size replacement available somewhere else?
Mine was missing hardware and I found virtually exact duplicates at Lowe’s. They have a section in the hardware isle that is specifically automotive fasteners. I didn’t want to wait for my dealer to get the replacement hardware (which they did without issue, an entire set for an install). Had the car over a year now with about 7600 miles and zero splitter issues with the Lowe’s hardware.

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
Got a package of them at the dealer.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Mine was missing hardware and I found virtually exact duplicates at Lowe’s. They have a section in the hardware isle that is specifically automotive fasteners. I didn’t want to wait for my dealer to get the replacement hardware (which they did without issue, an entire set for an install). Had the car over a year now with about 7600 miles and zero splitter issues with the Lowe’s hardware.
This X 1,000. Before @GTthree50 posted his reply to me, I had already ordered the screws from Ford. In an odd twist of fate, the ones that came in were wrong. Right thread size and length, but the washer on the Ford screw was too small. So off to Lowe’s I go. Exact match!! Thanks dude. As a heads up, my local Home Depot did not have these nor anything close.

In keeping with the intent of this thread...I just had my splitter off to fix the cat impact (separate thread). Original installl was missing 3 of 4 of the 45° screws, missing one of the four small ones along the bottom due to completely absent clip, and one other fairly loose. But, it was installed properly inside all the tab/slots across the front so it wasn’t going anywhere.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
My dealers Guy, a Mustang owner and drag racer put mine on. Went out and looked at it and it had the gap. I said, nope, try again. I had to coach him on the rag and mallet. It was installed right the second time. Got home and double checked everything to find that two of the angle screws were missing. They sent me a pack but I had screws left over from my ScatPac splitter that were an exact match and didn't need the pack they sent.

Sponsored

imbadatthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm missing the 4 45 degree bolts at the least. Is it likely I am missing additional parts?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Likely you are missing the half round clips inside the fascia.

imbadatthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

hipporo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Koji
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 RubyRed
Thanks again Steve. Got the j clips in today, the ones they ordered were wrong and the part number you gave me was right. They were different than the ones installed on the car from factory. They were metal with a crimped thread on the back side, created so that the screw has less of a chance to vibrate loose. Torqued all down to spec after getting a low NM torque wrench. I was suprised that 1.8 nm was that tight. I tighten by feel at first but it took a couple more turns to get the screw to spec on the 1.8 NM, and a few more turns on the 8 nm. So, I'm glad I got it.
20161229_171341.jpg
Is this a picture after been installed correctly? I installed mice yesterday, and mine looks exactly like this.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
That is a correct install. No gaps between the splitter and the lower white part of the car.
Sponsored