Sponsored

BBQ Tick Fix

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Hey guys, I been researching the heck out of this annoying tapping noise coming from the bottom end of engine, I've read everything from short and long block replacements to bearing at crank replaced..

For those that had change out a block or perform any other fix.. Did ford or the tech show you pictures of the actual problem and damage? Think I even read a thread on here that they fixed the tick themselves for a 5 dollar clevite?

Did the tick ever come back?

I recently got the tick myself on the 5.0 2018 Auto and scheduled to drop off the car next week.. Curious as to the outlook and how out of the norm this is, first stang owned since 1999.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I think its just normal, mine has it until its warmed up, I think they all do. But I agree, it is annoying

OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
That's how mine started, until warmed up... then 1 day it never went away, at around the same time, I notice I get up to 1 degree positive knock at low rpm, same range I hear the tick when i rev engine, it's not the gas, 100oct in the tank. I dont hear the knock, but the datalog is reading it, started right around when I started hearing that tapping noise.

Sponsored

subbz

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2
Someone seems to have found a fix for this. The issue was the weight of the oil that Ford uses from the factory and also during the recommended oil change. Going with a heavier weight oil fixes the ticking.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Heavier oil wouldnt make sense, atleast in my opinion because the tick goes away when the car and oil get warm and thinner.. (atleast for me)

Someone seems to have found a fix for this. The issue was the weight of the oil that Ford uses from the factory and also during the recommended oil change. Going with a heavier weight oil fixes the ticking.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
That's how mine started, until warmed up... then 1 day it never went away, at around the same time, I notice I get up to 1 degree positive knock at low rpm, same range I hear the tick when i rev engine, it's not the gas, 100oct in the tank. I dont hear the knock, but the datalog is reading it, started right around when I started hearing that tapping noise.
Are you saying it's impacting timing advance?

Stroked89coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
S550
Are you saying it's impacting timing advance?
Im unsure of the actual point in which the pcm starts retarding timing based off of knock sensed but yes the pcm will, at some point retard timing based off of knock sensed whether false or not.
Sponsored