Sponsored

Magneride and other issues...Ford, don't ignore complaints

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
the last 6 months I have enjoy my new '18 GT PP1 401, with the new engine and 10 speed trans. A great improvement over my '16 GT, except for a couple of things:

Magneride: From day one, this suspension makes a thump noise, on small road imperfections. During this 6 months, have visited the dealer, and check every part posible of making the noise. Check the torque of every bolt, re-programmed the VDM module( magnaride), removed the rear sway bar, and everything car guys with a lot of differents cars during a lot of years, will think. At the end, the same "all do that" answer.
At the end this past week I drove 2 cars, a PP1 same as mine and a PP2 with 142 miles. To my surprised both makes the exact noise at the exact places. Above 50 you don't hear the noise, and at 80 it feels very nice. During this period I make a couple of posts, asking about this noise here in 6G, but nobody confirmed having the noise. A tech in a Florida dealer, confirmed to a friend about a lot of customers complaining about suspension noises. Locally a PP2 401 owner, can't accept that his car makes thoses noise. I had cars in the past with coil overs, lowering springs, etc, all those things we do to cars and never have the noise. My '16 was very quiet for a sport car.
In summary, Ford sold the idea that this magneride is so good, that is very comfortable on the road, and very good on track. Both claims are not completely true on daily driving. My conclusion is that the software on low speed, small bumps, needs to be revised. In adittion there is no recall or TBS or new software to install.
GPS; Since day 1 gps don't work, there several more cars with the same situation and no solution yet. Iread in this forum same problem.
Memory seat: Some times the memory seat after start the engine, doesn't move forward to the memory position. Other times moves, but upto about 4 inches short.

Thanks for taking your time to read this long post, but hopefully, Ford or someone may add his/her input to solve this problems like it happens a lot in this forum.... If at the end, I can't find a solution, I'll order the exact same car without the magneride....
Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
It's a common noise on mag ride cars. Not just Ford. Turn the radio up or get louder exhaust. I barely notice it on my car

Reactions: Why
OP
OP
redtrack

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
thanks for your feedback... I just dynamat the whole trunk today! that should minimize the sound!

OP
OP
redtrack

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
100% coverage is extreme. Did you prep the surfaces?
Not really, I used
Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening....
with the little roller it bonds pretty good!

Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
It's a common noise on mag ride cars. Not just Ford. Turn the radio up or get louder exhaust. I barely notice it on my car

My Mag ride tahoe made zero noises...

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Never heard any noise with magneride.

OP
OP
redtrack

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
perfect roads? you are really lucky!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I drove my CTS-V with Magnaride for many years without any problem as far as noise. However as I noted before, they leaked after 40k miles each time, I had to replace them twice. And they were very expensive each time on the Caddy . Also I should also note that I had to replace the upper and control arm bushings just as often. I love the Magnafide system just didnt want the expense on my DD Mustang.

Sponsored
OP
OP
redtrack

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
I drove my CTS-V with Magnaride for many years without any problem as far as noise. However as I noted before, they leaked after 40k miles each time, I had to replace them twice. And they were very expensive each time on the Caddy . Also I should also note that I had to replace the upper and control arm bushings just as often. I love the Magnafide system just didnt want the expense on my DD Mustang.
I'm inclined to think that the problem is on the program, and values for low speed small bumps. It's hard to believe that the shocks are the problem.
There are so many inputs to the VDM, speed, sensors, brake, movement of the suspension, temp, etc.....

SilverGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Odyssey, TL
the last 6 months I have enjoy my new '18 GT PP1 401, with the new engine and 10 speed trans. A great improvement over my '16 GT, except for a couple of things:

Magneride: From day one, this suspension makes a thump noise, on small road imperfections. ....
I've had a lot of experience with suspension noises, and they are really hard to find sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if even the best techs weren't able to find the source of a thump with today's fancy variable suspension - there's way too much going on inside the ECU for even them to know. Since you saw the same noise in the same condition in two different cars, you know that it's not a random thing. To me, that says that the suspension calibrator has some work to do. Or maybe the shock or strut mount guy.

Does this noise come from the front or from the rear? Does it happen when the suspension tops out or bottoms out? (I would guess not, give that the noise is on small road imperfections.) Does it make the noise in all drive modes?

I have some buddies who have MagneRide. I can't say I've ever heard anything that I would consider bad, but that's just my opinion.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
As someone who has dealt with a lot of suspension noises on 15 (due to the many suspension modifications I did), I say ignore the noises and enjoy the car. Get a loud exhaust and play some tunes and just enjoy. It’s a great car. Too much to enjoy to let it get ruined by small stuff IMO. It’s a sports car. If you wanted a comfy quiet car buy a Lexus!

I’ve had to learn to curb my OCD about these things and it helped a lot. Finally I have a quiet ride but it took a lot of headache to get there. A lot. Can’t emphasize that enough.

SilverGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Odyssey, TL
As someone who has dealt with a lot of suspension noises on 15 (due to the many suspension modifications I did), I say ignore the noises and enjoy the car. Get a loud exhaust and play some tunes and just enjoy. It’s a great car. Too much to enjoy to let it get ruined by small stuff IMO. It’s a sports car. If you wanted a comfy quiet car buy a Lexus!

I’ve had to learn to curb my OCD about these things and it helped a lot. Finally I have a quiet ride but it took a lot of headache to get there. A lot. Can’t emphasize that enough.
Amen to that!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't think we know enough about MR or exactly how it works in the hydraulic and mechanical senses. Maybe it's something as simple as the sensor linkage.

Norm
Sponsored