marzman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Grabber Blue GT
Hi guys,

I've tried searching but don't seem to be able to find the answer so apologies for the basic question...

I've had my Mustang (MY17) for 6 months and have done 3800 miles.

This week upon startup, a 'Change Oil Soon' message has appeared on the centre screen which I have to press OK to acknowledge.

Is this normal for this many miles? Is this likely to genuinely need a service already, or is the message just coming up too early and i need to get the dealer to reset it do you think?
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I changed mine at 1175 miles to full synthetic

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
I had the exact same thing on mine. Booked it in for service at Bristol Street Ford in Birmingham dropped it in for the service and was told no need it just needs the oil service indicator reset and no need for a service.
I said I might as well have it serviced as it was booked in and they said not to and come back at 10k miles !

They did explain why, something to do with oil visibility sensor and that it also set on a timer too and car despite being 18 plate has probably been sat around for a while and hence it’s timed out. To be honest I wasn’t really paying attention as I was half asleep and not feeling the best !

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
Soo, the dealer should gave reset the oil life in the pdi, but would be willing to bet they forgot.. Ford will tell you that the oil life indicator works on lots of different parameters so isn't just time based, but it does take time into account so if its sat around on the ship over here then in a field in zebrugge for a while time willl have been ticking. I do lots of miles and mine tends to ping every 8 - 9000 or so. Me being me though, I ignore it completely and stick to 10000 mile services so just reset the oil life myself to stop it nagging me.

Others prefer to change their oil more regularly and who's to say they're wrong. Spose it does depend on your mileage and driving style. I use mine every day, currently at 45000 miles but if yours is a weekend car it may well need a different schedule. If it isn't black and sludgey, and there's enough of it, in my opinion you're fine

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
My Mustang registered Jan '18 with only 800 miles has also got the oil change warning. Oil life indicator show 1% remaining. I'm unsure if I should change the oil now or just reset the the computer.
When is the first service on a GT due ?
What are the service intervals meant to be ?

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
There's an unofficial 1000 mile oil/filter change (Recommended by the US owners who have had their oil filters analysed) to remove the initial crap and to replace it with good oil, then it should just be done by the book.

I've seen the oil warning 2 or 3 times now and I've only done 8k miles in my16, it purely depends on how you drive but I still replace mine every year.

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang - Shadow Edition, Triple Yellow '72 Lincoln - Lowrider '72 Gran Torino Sport '79 Firebird
I am old school when it comes to oil changes, and think it is best to do first change at 1000 miles whether it is required by manufacturer or not.
That said, is it really needed at 800 mile / 6 month old ? Does a modern engine need running in like the older generation engines ? What do Ford recomend and what is mandatory to remain in warranty ?

Last edited:

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am old school when it comes to oil changes, and think it is best to do first change at 1000 miles weather it is required by manufacturer or not.
That said, is it really needed at 800 mile / 6 month old ? Does a modern engine need running in like the older generation engines ? What do Ford recomend and what is mandatory to remain in warranty ?
No, no and follow the manual - service must be performed by a VAT registered garage, as Ford may asked for the receipt for warranty repairs

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
I did mention to Bristol Street Ford when this query arose that “shouldn’t I change the oil after the first 1000 miles”. I was informed there is no need and first service is 10k miles.

Basically don’t waste your money was the advice from the Ford Dealer !

Lowrider Lincoln

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
No, no and follow the manual - service must be performed by a VAT registered garage, as Ford may asked for the receipt for warranty repairs
Yeah mate, I know that it has to be done by VAT registered garage to be warranty valid.
But if Ford say " don't bother changing oil, and just reset the oil life indicator " then why can't an owner change his own oil early ?

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I did mention to Bristol Street Ford when this query arose that “shouldn’t I change the oil after the first 1000 miles”. I was informed there is no need and first service is 10k miles.

Basically don’t waste your money was the advice from the Ford Dealer !
Hence why I said it was an unofficial oil change. You don't need to change the oil but it's nice to do, you can change it as many times as you want as long as you meet the minimum stated in the manual.

This thread shows what I mean about the contaminants.

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
This type of thread really grinds my gears and keeps popping its head up every few months. To follow is my experience of this issue.

New car delivery March 2016
Sept 2016 and with 2700 odd miles the oil thing came up - I discussed with dealer and sent car into them for a oil change
march 2017 - car 1 year old and needs its first service at 5800 odd miles - car had service and oil change
sept 2017 - started seeing these messages on the forums and decided that as the car now only had 7500 odd miles there was no way that the car needed a further oil change. had a discussion with the dealer and the car went in for some diagnostic checks. the outcome of this was that in approx the november 2017 the dealers changed the oil and filter at there expense and i was told there was a software update coming out, this was then done i think either dec 17 or jan 18.
car then had its second service april 2018 at approx 9400 miles and oil life reset again.
is now sept 18 and the car has 13,000 miles and i checked the other day and the oil life is still showing at approx 40% so whatever software update was done has worked.

it appears that dealers do not seem to know about this so everyone should be making the dealers check it out and resolve the issue.

etbiru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My oil change indicator pretty much telling me to change engine oil every 6 months. Oh well oil is cheap and takes little time to do it why not.

OP
OP
marzman

marzman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Grabber Blue GT
Ok thanks guys. I didnt realise you could reset the oil life just from the dashboard, so i've done that now.

AB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0
Had this pop up today on mine. 6 months old and 2600 miles on the clock.

Will check the quality of the oil tomorrow but suspect it's just a reset required due to the car being sat for months before I bought.
Sponsored