Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Not true at all. The Z06 simply has too much power for its chassis. The GT350/R, that is not the case. The chassis can handle the power it has and a lot more. Similar cars such as the Viper ACR has been said to be very easy to drive on track and very friendly at the limit, and they have near enough the same outputs as the Z06. It simply doesn't put power down well enough. And you saying it isn't hard to drive hard, I don't mean to be rude, but you are by no means, not even remotely, pushing that car hard. When a racer as seasoned, well experienced, and skilled as Randy says its a very difficult car to drive at the limit, I think its safe to say that's more accurate than the average joe "pushing" it along a backroad.
I honestly doubt that you've ever driven a Z06. My C7 Z06 is incredibly easy to drive around town, canyon carving, or at the track; despite having 650 ponies ready for my use at any time. Obviously, if you mash on it in a low gear, it gets a little swirly (but that's actually not really the case as long as you have at least semi-fresh tires), but what 600+hp car doesn't???? As for the track or spirited canyon driving, the thing feels like a rocket thats magnetically attached to the road. My 5.0 with full suspension is miles ahead of the stock PP 5.0 that it once was, and I find it to hold the road/track incredibly well. But despite all of these mods and the greatly improved handling that came from them, it still can't compete with the handling of a Z06. I went canyon carving in my 5.0 with a friend and his Z06, and had a REALLY hard time keeping up with him in, even though I knew he wasn't pushing it to its limits (whereas I was in my 5.0). I have no idea where my 5.0 stands in comparison to a stock GT350, but the Z06 is still well in front.
So again, the Z06 CAN in fact absolutely handle the power that it has at its disposal with ease. Honestly, the car is truly a feat of modern engineering. I haven't driven a Gt350, so I don't know how it handles. But saying that a Z06 is unable to handle its power or put it down "well enough" when a GT350 can is an absolute lie.
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I honestly doubt that you've ever driven a Z06. My C7 Z06 is incredibly easy to drive around town, canyon carving, or at the track; despite having 650 ponies ready for my use at any time. Obviously, if you mash on it in a low gear, it gets a little swirly (but that's actually not really the case as long as you have at least semi-fresh tires), but what 600+hp car doesn't???? As for the track or spirited canyon driving, the thing feels like a rocket thats magnetically attached to the road. My 5.0 with full suspension is miles ahead of the stock PP 5.0 that it once was, and I find it to hold the road/track incredibly well. But despite all of these mods and the greatly improved handling that came from them, it still can't compete with the handling of a Z06. I went canyon carving in my 5.0 with a friend and his Z06, and had a REALLY hard time keeping up with him in, even though I knew he wasn't pushing it to its limits (whereas I was in my 5.0). I have no idea where my 5.0 stands in comparison to a stock GT350, but the Z06 is still well in front.
So again, the Z06 CAN in fact absolutely handle the power that it has at its disposal with ease. Honestly, the car is truly a feat of modern engineering. I haven't driven a Gt350, so I don't know how it handles. But saying that a Z06 is unable to handle its power or put it down "well enough" when a GT350 can is an absolute lie.
If the man who has set more lap records on Weathertech Laguna Seca than he remembers says it can’t put the power down properly, I’m going to listen.

Honest question - Do you know who Randy Pobst is??

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Randy drives the Corvette with all nannies off...no PTM. PTM allows guys with less ability than guys of Randy's caliber to keep the car off the rough. Drivers of Randy's caliber are capable of extracting more from the car without PTM effectively holding them back.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I haven't driven a Z06, you are correct. You are precisely the "average Joe" I was referring to in my comment you quoted. And as I said, I don't mean to be rude, but you have almost certainly never pushed your car to its limit. You taking your car on a backroad and "pushing it" is literally nothing compared to having the car in the hands of someone as talented as Randy on a race track. Multiple time champion driver, broke countless production car records, and he says the car has too much power for the chassis. Randy's word >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Your word. No lying here, you just don't know what you're talking about.

I also think you don't understand what we are talking about. Yes, a Z06's ultimate capabilities are higher than that of a 350R. BUT, the 350R is FAR easier to approach and drive at its limit, compared to the Z06 that has been repeatedly slated as being very much a handful at the limit and that it can't handle the power it has. And we see this "but what 600+hp car doesn't" excuse over and over. Viper ACR, McLaren 650S/675LT, Ferrari 458, Camaro ZL1 1LE, Ford GT, just to name a handful.... Has nothing to do with its power. LOTS of other cars with a LOT more power that can handle it better.

Randy drives the Corvette with all nannies off...no PTM. PTM allows guys with less ability than guys of Randy's caliber to keep the car off the rough. Drivers of Randy's caliber are capable of extracting more from the car without PTM effectively holding them back.
Randy actually drives them with 1 level of PTM remaining, or perhaps on the last level of PTM, not sure how it works. He has said it makes him a better driver and helps keep the power in check. Everything off, that car would be uncontrollable at the limit.

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
At the end o
I haven't driven a Z06, you are correct. You are precisely the "average Joe" I was referring to in my comment you quoted. And as I said, I don't mean to be rude, but you have almost certainly never pushed your car to its limit. You taking your car on a backroad and "pushing it" is literally nothing compared to having the car in the hands of someone as talented as Randy on a race track. Multiple time champion driver, broke countless production car records, and he says the car has too much power for the chassis. Randy's word >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Your word. No lying here, you just don't know what you're talking about.

I also think you don't understand what we are talking about. Yes, a Z06's ultimate capabilities are higher than that of a 350R. BUT, the 350R is FAR easier to approach and drive at its limit, compared to the Z06 that has been repeatedly slated as being very much a handful at the limit and that it can't handle the power it has. And we see this "but what 600+hp car doesn't" excuse over and over. Viper ACR, McLaren 650S/675LT, Ferrari 458, Camaro ZL1 1LE, Ford GT, just to name a handful.... Has nothing to do with its power. LOTS of other cars with a LOT more power that can handle it better.
At the end of the day, you are STILL just taking another person's word for it without experiencing it yourself. So personal experience >>> second hand account. And I may not be a professional race car driver, but I have indeed pushed my car to its limits, on TWO SEPARATE TRACKS. Are you a professional driver? Highly doubt it. Furthermore, no sh*t that Randy is going to absolutely nitpick any car he drives, seeing as he driven countless cars to compare them to, even cars that are far above the Z06's class. There's also a difference between spending a short time with a car for a"review" (ie maybe a week) vs getting to know your car over months or years of driving it. Yes, it may be daunting for any new driver, but I would NEVER get in a car and go gung-ho right from the get go (you're probably going to say "But Randy does", well I say: liability) Also, how much time does a "non-proffesional" driver spend on a track vs backroad carving/daily driving???? I would much rather own a car that excels at the latter instead of one dedicated to the track, seeing as 95% of my time in the car is spent there. And obviously YOU have no idea what you are talking about, because again, you haven't experienced its drivability and excellent capabilities first hand.
As for the "but what 600hp+ car doesn't" comment, good job listing cars that are easily over 2X the price (if not way more) than a Z06 (minus the ZL1 1LE). If i had the money to spare, I would gladly purchase one of those cars instead. But a Z06 is without a reasonable doubt one of the best bangs for your buck (a GT350R is not, at least not for the price that they are selling it around my area, which is easily over the price of a Z06 with the markups they add) Obviously, as in many things, you get what you pay for. And no sh*t that the 350R is probably easier to drive on a track. 1) Its a car built primarily with the idea of running it at a track 2) It has 100+hp/tq less than a Z06. You are clearly the one that doesn't know what he is talking about and just wants to justify your obvious belief that the 350R is the best track car ever built. And in that case, there are plenty of videos out there of fully track built 5.0s out there that easily outpace a GT350R on a track. There's always a faster car out there.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
At the end o

At the end of the day, you are STILL just taking another person's word for it without experiencing it yourself. So personal experience >>> second hand account. And I may not be a professional race car driver, but I have indeed pushed my car to its limits, on TWO SEPARATE TRACKS. Are you a professional driver? Highly doubt it. Furthermore, no sh*t that Randy is going to absolutely nitpick any car he drives, seeing as he driven countless cars to compare them to, even cars that are far above the Z06's class. There's also a difference between spending a short time with a car for a"review" (ie maybe a week) vs getting to know your car over months or years of driving it. Yes, it may be daunting for any new driver, but I would NEVER get in a car and go gung-ho right from the get go (you're probably going to say "But Randy does", well I say: liability) Also, how much time does a "non-proffesional" driver spend on a track vs backroad carving/daily driving???? I would much rather own a car that excels at the latter instead of one dedicated to the track, seeing as 95% of my time in the car is spent there. And obviously YOU have no idea what you are talking about, because again, you haven't experienced its drivability and excellent capabilities first hand.
As for the "but what 600hp+ car doesn't" comment, good job listing cars that are easily over 2X the price (if not way more) than a Z06 (minus the ZL1 1LE). If i had the money to spare, I would gladly purchase one of those cars instead. But a Z06 is without a reasonable doubt one of the best bangs for your buck (a GT350R is not, at least not for the price that they are selling it around my area, which is easily over the price of a Z06 with the markups they add) Obviously, as in many things, you get what you pay for. And no sh*t that the 350R is probably easier to drive on a track. 1) Its a car built primarily with the idea of running it at a track 2) It has 100+hp/tq less than a Z06. You are clearly the one that doesn't know what he is talking about and just wants to justify your obvious belief that the 350R is the best track car ever built. And in that case, there are plenty of videos out there of fully track built 5.0s out there that easily outpace a GT350R on a track. There's always a faster car out there.
It's so sad to see a response like this.

1. Second hand or not, Randy is better than you are. Period. He sets PRODUCTION CAR LAP RECORDS after taking a car for less than 10 laps. Sorry bucko, if he says its hairy at the limit, his word greater than fanboy on a forum. He can break records in a few laps... the fact you're even debating his word is hilarious.

2. What does price have to do with anything? I would expect this from a fanboy.... You specifically said "but what 600+hp car doesn't" and I named a number of them. Period. Cost is irrelevant, you wanted to believe that every car with that much power is a handful, but they're not, including the Viper and 1LE. You asked a question, I answered, you didn't like the answer, so then you move the goalpost. Confirmation bias is strong.

3. What makes you think that I think the 350R is the best track car? I have never, ever, said such a thing, alluded to such things, or even hinted at them. I spoke of facts given by one of the better drivers on this side of the sod, and review after review after review confirm that it is an easier car to drive at the limit. You can say that "oh of course it does it has less hp/tq" all you want, all you're proving is that the Z06 has too much power for the chassis it has. The Z06 has a dedicated sports car chassis while the R is built upon a 25K rental car chassis. Stop making excuses.

It's quite clear you're taking this personally, because you're talking about all sorts of points that I never mentioned or never said period. I've never said it wasn't a great bang for the buck car. I've never said it wasn't a great car, because it is. There are also cars with a lot more power than a Z06 that are friendly cars at the limit, and this isn't opinion but fact.

Considering the R has been tested to be faster on track than a lot of exotics, I think it is still a great bang for the buck, even though that didn't matter whatsoever to me. I paid as much for my R in Canada as I could have gotten a Viper or a Z06 for. Don't need to tell me there are faster cars out there, it doesn't bother me one bit. Didn't buy the car to be the fastest, bought it because it has aspects that I look for and love.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
At the end o

Multiple car reviewers have said it over and over again that the C7 'vette chassis can't handle higher power.

Why would I think that you are a better judge than professional car reviewers?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, no new news on the GT500 I suppose...

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
A little birdie told me it will definitely be over 700HP and it will out perform 13-14 GT500 at drag strip and the GT350 on the road course..
I'm surprised nobody talked about how the new GT500 is supposed to out perform the GT350 on a road course.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I can make something up. Umm, let's see ...

OMGZ! I just read this on Reddit:

I can't get into details since I'm still a Ford employee and actively on the GT500 team, but let's just say Ford has done a lot of work on heat management and cooling for track use, and there are going to be some slick visualizations on the LCD display for these systems.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Status
Not open for further replies.