Sponsored

A few questions about Centri VS TVS VS Turbos

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I am probably going to Supercharge or possibly Turbocharge my daily driver auto PP1 2018 GT with 3.55's eventually, but there are so many good options that its very hard to choose and I have a few questions.

Can you keep warranty with a Vortech installed somewhere? I know Roush installed at some dealers doesn't void your warranty, but what about Whipple and Vortech? I am assuming with Turbos the warranty is just gone immediately in terms of engine related parts? What about transmission? Maybe it depends on the dealer.

It looks like Turbos and Centrifugal SC may have the most horsepower potential with a good head unit.. Although the Whipple 3.0 has been making some crazy power too. With an auto and 3.55's daily driven auto would yall go with a roush or whipple or centrifugal style or Turbos? Ill be street driving it 99% of the time in Florida.

How do the centrifugal supercharged cars intake air2 temps and overall heat soaking compare to the whipples and Turbos? My prior car was a cts-v with the stock Eaton TVS at 630 rwhp on e60 which I was pretty happy with.

For this Mustang I'd probably be going for maybe around 800 RWHP end goal to keep it relatively safe for the trans and other components.

I do have e85 available but I'm not sure if I want to run full e85 all the time. If there was a flex fuel sensor kit and flex tuning available Id definitely do that because I could mix it to e60 and put less stress on the fuel system, and also run a tank of 93 like once a month to clean it out.

For road track style driving would centrifugal or TVS or Turbos be the better option? Is one style more reliable over the long term , or lower maintenance than the other style? Basically Id like to hear the pros and cons of all options for the 2018 5.0, is there a thread already discussing this that I have missed? I know there are basically no factory centrifugal SC cars and there are a lot of TVS and Turbo cars so, I guess that may be for a valid longevity reason?

Thanks for any input and opinions.
Sponsored

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
I am probably going to Supercharge or possibly Turbocharge my daily driver auto PP1 2018 GT with 3.55's eventually, but there are so many good options that its very hard to choose and I have a few questions.

Can you keep warranty with a Vortech installed somewhere? I know Roush installed at some dealers doesn't void your warranty, but what about Whipple and Vortech? I am assuming with Turbos the warranty is just gone immediately in terms of engine related parts? What about transmission? Maybe it depends on the dealer.

It looks like Turbos and Centrifugal SC may have the most horsepower potential with a good head unit.. Although the Whipple 3.0 has been making some crazy power too. With an auto and 3.55's daily driven auto would yall go with a roush or whipple or centrifugal style or Turbos? Ill be street driving it 99% of the time in Florida.

How do the centrifugal supercharged cars intake air2 temps and overall heat soaking compare to the whipples and Turbos? My prior car was a cts-v with the stock Eaton TVS at 630 rwhp on e60 which I was pretty happy with.

For this Mustang I'd probably be going for maybe around 800 RWHP end goal to keep it relatively safe for the trans and other components.

I do have e85 available but I'm not sure if I want to run full e85 all the time. If there was a flex fuel sensor kit and flex tuning available Id definitely do that because I could mix it to e60 and put less stress on the fuel system, and also run a tank of 93 like once a month to clean it out.

For road track style driving would centrifugal or TVS or Turbos be the better option? Is one style more reliable over the long term , or lower maintenance than the other style? Basically Id like to hear the pros and cons of all options for the 2018 5.0, is there a thread already discussing this that I have missed? I know there are basically no factory centrifugal SC cars and there are a lot of TVS and Turbo cars so, I guess that may be for a valid longevity reason?

Either you will be fine. I selected 3:15 rear diff gears for my centri blower. Vortech JT V-7 head unit. Car is very aggressive on the 3:15s I am running E85 as well. I declined a 93 tune all together since E85 is on every street corner. I wish you the best with the 3:55s you will have your hands full. You will be all in going boost. Normal street tires will not work for you once you go boost.

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase

There are PLENTY of threads already out there comparing Turbo vs Centri vs Root vs etc... I would just look for those and give them a read. There are many pros and cons for each system. For instance: Turbo pros: most potential for power (but would require other upgrades such as a built engine to truly experience that kind of power) cons: can't use most after-market systems/can be a pain for a DD. Centri pros: drives like a stock car when not on it, delivering power in high-rpms, cons:not at potent as other power adders. Root/Twin-screw pros: power throughout the band, cons: overheating CAN be an issue. And oh so much more. Best thing to do is read up on it. If you want something that's perfect for a DD as well as the track, I would stay away from turbos (generally have more issues than other power adders, but a lot of people also don't have any issues, so just luck of the draw and being able to find a good tuner that knows what he/she is doing).

As for warranty, no matter which route you go, you will void your warranty. Technically (and this is covered in countless other forums as well), Ford must be able to prove that the mod you added to the your car is responsible for whatever issue you may have. That said, I've heard horror stories of people not being covered by their warranty simply because they have had a catback system installed (not the norm, and can definitely be fought, but may require legal intervention). But when it comes to adding a power adder, you are definitely voiding your warranty. That said, some supercharger companies offer their own warranty (such as whipple), but it's usually done through a third company that has many lines of fine print in it. The only one that won't "Void" your warranty is the Roush Supercharger, even though it technically does. The reason why I say this is that if you add a Roush supercharger to your car, your Ford warranty will be replaced by one made available through Roush. And the only way to acquire this is to have the supercharger installed by a certified Ford dealership (aka a lot more costly than most performance shops). Also, the Roush "warranty" has MANY caveats within, halting you from doing a lot of other mods to your car. It also only covers the "stage 1" supercharger, which is pretty weak when compared to most of the other supercharger options.

From what you've listed (800RWHP, more of a DD than track car, reliable, low maintenance, somewhat of a warranty), it honestly seems like the best option to go with would be a Whipple. The reason being that they are tried-and-true amazing superchargers. The new 3.0L should also easily be able to make 800RWHP on 93 with a good tune (and even more if you choose to run E85). Heat-soaking with Whipples is almost a non-issue (or more a thing of the past), and will without a doubt leave you with one of the fastest cars on the block. There will always be someone out there with a faster car. But a Whippled 5.0 will easily beat 99% of the cars you see out on the road.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Here's what going to happen with this thread. Centri people will tell you thats best. Turbo owners will tell you turbos are best. Roots owners will sware by roots.

Sponsored

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
On my 2016 I started out with a Whipple and worked up to 17psi of boost. I loved the instant power and smooth drivability.

Then I went to twin turbos and truly enjoy the much improved midrange and top end power while it drives like stock when off boost. I do miss the instant hit of the Whipple though the tradeoff for the much improved power is more than worth it. Turbos are the way to go!

foff667

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT Procharged D1X
I would recommend you drive one with each, personally with the new hellion sleeper tt setup that would be the setup I'd go with. Automatic with stock converter the centri will likely perform last of the three options because you really aren't into any decent amount of boost until around 5000 rpms. Turbo you can set the boost the way you want via wastegate, you want it to make peak boost at 3000rpms, just size the turbos properly and setup the wastegate and off you go. TVS typically you'll just make full boost right off idle but they aren't quite as efficient up top vs either the centri or turbo. With all that said there are guys making 900+rwhp on 2018 centris I'm sure there are 900+ 2015+ TVS on stock block/heads and there are plenty of 950+ 2015+ turbo cars out there.

Ultimately all 3 have huge potential and when properly setup will make you very happy. If you can get some seat time behind one of each that should help with your decision.

BTW this coming from a guy with a centri so not all of us put our eggs into one basket ;)

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
All power adders can be loads of fun, without a doubt.
I am totally biased, but I do enjoy our systems..

Easy to install on a weekend,
Easy on the bank account,
The P1X STG2 kit is more than enough for 90% of builds (even with E85)
And the techguy that posts on the internet is pretty cool. LOL

:)

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS
I've had them all. I had a paxton on my Fox GT, had a whipple on my cobra, and now Turbo on my 2018 GT, and my new 2019 GT. I was always a supercharger guy. Now i'm a believer in Turbo power. Its the best of all worlds. The whipple is nice for torque, the Centri is nice for HP and top end, but the Turbo is the best of both. You can have different boost groups on a controller with a turbo setup, your not dependent on a belt to make power, torque is good and HP is even better. All options if tuned correctly will drive like stock when not in boost. Once I switched to turbo, I never looked back.

mmacoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550
I love my 18 with centri, I've abused my car more then anyone with an 18 a10. car is daily driven and holding up well for just over 700hp. turbo is another good choice that hellion sleeper Kit is the way to go. I am not a fan of roots or tvs style they make insane power but hear soaking issue is huge turn off.

Sponsored

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
Ran nitrous, small turbos, Vortech S, YS, and Mondo X-Trims over the past 23 years. Last year and half Whipple on E85/Stick. That combo is coming off this weekend and going turbo/Auto swap next. Being able to control boost/torque on the fly is a huge plus. I rarely got to use my drag radials with all of the rain here and the Whipple was too much for street tires on 14lbs.

Bottom line, they’ll all make you giddy. Just don’t settle if you have your heart set on a particular setup.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Ran nitrous, small turbos, Vortech S, YS, and Mondo X-Trims over the past 23 years. Last year and half Whipple on E85/Stick. That combo is coming off this weekend and going turbo/Auto swap next. Being able to control boost/torque on the fly is a huge plus. I rarely got to use my drag radials with all of the rain here and the Whipple was too much for street tires on 14lbs.

Bottom line, they’ll all make you giddy. Just don’t settle if you have your heart set on a particular setup.
Let me know your location and price for that $1000 Whipple set up you are taking off!. No seriously. Let me know

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
Let me know your location and price for that $1000 Whipple set up you are taking off!. No seriously. Let me know
haha. Sorry, it’s a S197/Boss 302 kit.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Id love to see some overlaid charts of a whipple, centri and turbo 2018 gt, hard to find good comparable dyno charts though. (from michael macs vid) vortech :
eoCSnlW.png

Stage%201%20and%202%20vs%20stock_Mod.jpg
2018gt3graphs-640x360-jpg.jpg

To be honest they all look pretty equal, I suppose the turbos could be turned up more. I guess the benefits of each would be in terms of heat soak resistance? Ive heard the gen 5 whipple 3.0 is good though in terms of cooling but idk.. would there be a significant difference in terms of heat soaking between these 3 options?
Sponsored

Last edited: