Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Looks like the Mustang GT PP2 had a great showing. It beat the 2017 Camaro SS1LE's lap time by a full second and was ahead of a few other serious sports cars like the Porsche Cayman GTS. Can't say the same about the Ford GT, however.
I always had a feeling the pp2 was faster.
Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
No. Is it an SCCA event, or an autocross? I would like to get there with my 944 for one of the SCCA track nights. The GT350 feels so big on that course.
SCCA track night. Impulse Performance is having another track day there next Friday, as well.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
SCCA track night. Impulse Performance is having another track day there next Friday, as well.
Thanks for the info. You going to be there tonight? DCTC is 5 minutes from my house, maybe I'll stop by.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, I'll be there. Newbie in an overpowered track car on a tight track. Hopefully I won't be plowing any fields..

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yup, I'll be there. Newbie in an overpowered track car on a tight track. Hopefully I won't be plowing any fields..
Don't forget 50 F temperatures and their impact on tire grip!

I'm sure you will have a blast. The one area I would hate to go off there is that steep incline near the little jog in the track. Luckily that isn't a high speed area.

Sponsored

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
We're not going to buy the magazine. So could you give us a little more detail? What happened with the GT.? And for the record the PP2 doesn't come with coolers like the 1Le. So it probably went into limp mode right after the run.
CD is a good mag with good writing. They have been good documenting pony car battles going back to the 60's. I subscribe.

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbo...y-of-our-camaro-vs-mustang-comparison-tests#1

My favorite:

https://www.caranddriver.com/archiv...-vs-chevrolet-camaro-z-28-archived-comparison

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Looks like the Mustang GT PP2 had a great showing. It beat the 2017 Camaro SS1LE's lap time by a full second and was ahead of a few other serious sports cars like the Porsche Cayman GTS. Can't say the same about the Ford GT, however.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2018#lightninglap2018cars

Edit: Added link because I’m an inconsiderate jerk and I forgot.
Over heating in as few as 3 laps is a great showing? Sounds like that would make for a fun track day.

It's a good looking car, but the package is pointless without cooling.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
They did say that the Civic Type R overheated, but they didn't say much about the PP2. Based on Randy's comments, I believe that he wasn't driving any of the cars for 10-20 minutes at a time. They did road tests, and then put Randy in the car on the track. He ran a couple timed laps and that was probably about it. Randy seems to be a good enough driver that it doesn't take him long to learn how a car behaves and wring out most of the available performance. During one of the other tests Randy said it was 72 degrees IIRC, so they were testing in nice cool weather. That may have been a factor as well.

Randy also set a new production car record with the Porsche 911 variant they are testing. I think it was called GT2 RS? 700 HP twin turbo flat 6 3.8 liter engine, RWD, DCT with sticky Michelins.

You should really subscribe to Motor Trend On Demand. It's only $5 a month and there's a ton of great automotive content to watch.

edit: and the 1LE was run on a different day than the PP2, so the lap times shouldn't be compared. Other than you could say they are similar in speed around Laguna Seca. Driver talent and tire condition will probably be bigger factors than the difference between the cars.
All this talk of overheating diff in the Mustang there all going by the factory warning light which I bet for warranty purposes is way to sensitive.

And I wouldn't give motor trend any of my money the POS rag

Last edited:

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2 beat 2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody during Car and Driver lighting Lap .

2:53 vs 2:59

Different drivers and not scientific but fun to watch .

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Seams like a captain obvious kinda post. Dont really see how any bubbles are getting burst?

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Its interesting to see how much better the 2018 is with tuned suspension and wheel/tire combo over the 15.

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT (Grabber Lime), 1996 Ford Ranger
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2 beat 2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody during Car and Driver lighting Lap .

2:53 vs 2:59

Different drivers and not scientific but fun to watch .

Wow those Challengers are HEAVY!

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
That time gap might close up with the new 2019 redeye. 790hp is impressive. But the weight is killing them. They need a new platform and lighter weight.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Maybe Randy's just not always the best driver. I mean he clearly cant drive the ZR1 for shit...did you watch the video?
This made me laugh. Do you know who Randy is and his resume? He might not be the very best driver in the world, but he is dam good. And it is the same old story with the higher powered Vette's that they just can't put the power down. What is the sense of having over 700+tq if you can't use it unless the entire track is 100+mph? A 720S with FAR less tire, and a LOT less torque is significantly quicker, and like I said that is on street tires that are far narrower than the huge R compounds that the Vette uses. It has too much torque for its tires/chassis to cope with at anything less than high speed.
Sponsored