Sponsored

Tickford S550 - 536 hp/466 lb/ft....from a tune!

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic

ZutaL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
i did a myself tune only on 91 octane and gain 130 hp so 83hp seems posible

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I fear things have been lost in translation with the language difference, the difference in si units and by what was not stated in the article.

They stated a 3” exhaust ‘system’ was used. A system can mean headers too. They also state a cai.

As others point out, Tickford are likely to have an engine dyno.

In the rest of the world people state power at the crank not the wheels. So they are most likely stating 400kW at the crank with headers. That’s about 536bhp at the crank which is much more believable given the above. What does a ford power pack 2 make on long tube headers on a gen2 coyote? Probably up near 480bhp right. We know the 18 im flows way better. Add the di, the higher compression etc then I can believe this. Note Cosworth makes 500 crank bhp on a gen2 coyote on headers and cai for TVR. So what we are saying is that the gen3 has 36 bhp more than the gen2. Which strangely is pretty much the difference in the stock numbers.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
1:1 in the 2018 GT is 4th, not 5th.
He misremembered the gear but he isnt wrong. 2018 GT's speed limiter of 155mph is reached around 7000 rpm with 3.73 PP and even lower rpm if 3.31s. You can calculate this to verify or look at early 2018 dynos.

I fear things have been lost in translation with the language difference, the difference in si units and by what was not stated in the article.

They stated a 3” exhaust ‘system’ was used. A system can mean headers too. They also state a cai.

In the rest of the world people state power at the crank not the wheels. So they are most likely stating 400kW at the crank with headers. That’s about 536bhp at the crank which is much more believable given the above. What does a ford power pack 2 make on long tube headers on a gen2 coyote? Probably up near 480bhp right. We know the 18 im flows way better. Add the di, the higher compression etc then I can believe this. Note Cosworth makes 500 crank bhp on a gen2 coyote on headers and cai for TVR. So what we are saying is that the gen3 has 36 bhp more than the gen2. Which strangely is pretty much the difference in the stock numbers.
I looked up their 400kw package and its just a tune.
http://www.tickford.com.au/my18-400kw/

The 15-17 one is with a cai and a catback quad tip.
http://www.tickford.com.au/360-power-pack-mustang-gt/

Its definitely engine dyno if you look at their baseline which is 99% Fords crank #s.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT

Yep, the 18 was tune only (15-17 had the whole package)

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I don’t think anyone here is really arguing that this isn’t crank hp. We all know it’s at the crank. People are arguing you are not, with any amount of tuning wizardry get a 61kw or 82ish hp jump on pump gas tun only.... not happening. Some cars are not getting that with full bolt ons and e85 race tunes.. my car dyno’s at 436 when stock, let’s just add 60whp even though that’s not how this works, you don’t take 12% from the gain. But let’s just take a huge loss and say a 82 crank hp gain is 60whp gain. Now my car would put down 496... stock no mods on pump with a tune... gtfoh.. seriously.. .. not going to happen, no way no how.. that’s full bolt on e85 numbers.

Next they are going to tell us they made 175 hp gain with full bolt ons and e85..

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
I don’t think anyone here is really arguing that this isn’t crank hp. We all know it’s at the crank. People are arguing you are not, with any amount of tuning wizardry get a 61kw or 82ish hp jump on pump gas tun only.... not happening. Some cars are not getting that with full bolt ons and e85 race tunes.. my car dyno’s at 436 when stock, let’s just add 60whp even though that’s not how this works, you don’t take 12% from the gain. But let’s just take a huge loss and say a 82 crank hp gain is 60whp gain. Now my car would put down 496... stock no mods on pump with a tune... gtfoh.. seriously.. .. not going to happen, no way no how.. that’s full bolt on e85 numbers.

Next they are going to tell us they made 175 hp gain with full bolt ons and e85..
I’m also a little sceptical about the gains, however Tickford are a very respectable company with a huge amount of resources.

Also, just because no one else has been able to accomplish this, doesn’t mean there can’t be a first one (maybe this is simply me hoping this is true). I guess time will tell

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Forget the whp versus bhp debate, just figure it on a percentage. They gained 15.25%. That percentage should translate pretty closely to most any corrected dyno figure, barring some kind of extreme conditions.

Let’s take the example of 436whp given above. With their tune only, on let’s say 95 octane to be generous, that car would now make 514whp. All stock hardware, including the more restrictive RHD exhaust system. That’s a tough claim to swallow, but I’ll be the first to admit that I’m wrong if they can show it to be true. As the saying goes though, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. We need to see a data log with a few basic parameters, and/or a couple of third party before and after results of some kind.

Sponsored

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Went digging on this.
Think its legit power.
Some serious outside the box thinking on how the DI is used from what I understood.
If this is legit, what an impressive benchmark to set (for others to do the same and follow)

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
The question is can they do remote tunes :D

I won't be doing anything soon as I might get a new engine....
I would be interested to hear about if it’s available on a remote tune.

Also, hope you get your car sorted soon. Are you sure you really do have a problem with the engine?

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would be interested to hear about if it’s available on a remote tune.

Also, hope you get your car sorted soon. Are you sure you really do have a problem with the engine?
Unfortunately yes, been to three different dealers all saying the same and some friends of mine previous mechanics have also listened and it does not sound normal. Last week I was at the dealer closest to me the third time I was there now. This was the third person at that dealer listening to the engine and he said the same thing.... I have a scheduled a new appointment on the 28th this month. They will get in contact with Ford US during the analysis this time around

When the car is cold and I am driving in quiet mode the tick/slap is heard into the cabin at the famous 2k rpm range on e.g first gear. When hot not as much in the cabin but if I open the hood it is quite obvious

The list of issues is quite long in general...
Sponsored