Sponsored

18 Mustang GT 10 speed auto kick down question

mstngjpm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Fastback Auto
Hey guys

I am totally loving my car and the 10 speed auto is amazing. Only question is when I had a 2016 GT auto, if I kicked down the throttle at any speed under 35 km per hr, the 6 speed trannie would kick down to 1st in either Sport or normal mode, but I cannot get the new 10 speed auto to do that, even if I am barely rolling at 10 km per hr, a kick down of the throttle will get it into 2nd, but never 1st.

I find that a bit weird and whilst a kick down to 2nd at "walking" speed with this10 speed trannie is still very good, it can never be as good as it could be if it got back to 1st.

Any of you guys experienced this? I wonder whether it might be a software issue and whether the Ford engineers have purposely designed it that way?
Sponsored

Cobra - RJN1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2018 GT Manual
I think you'll find it's normal and will be engineered to max out acceleration

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Bear in mind also that 1st gear is always short as it's a 'get started' gear. Add in an extra 4 gears over your regular 6 and you get shorter ratios each gear againas it's spread over so many, which means 1st even shorter than normal. There isn't any need to go down that low unless taking off since 2nd would be shortly geared too and be more than enough. Going to first means greater risk of breaking traction (sudden jump to higher revs) and then quickly needing to go to 2nd gear anyway as you've run out of revs assuing you have traction, or bouncing off the limiter anyways since the wheels are just spinning if you've lost traction. The time to change down that extra gear then go back up again would probably be slower than just going to a short geared 2nd straight up.

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
Cant you just use the paddles to drop down to first while hitting the gas at the same time, that will get you spinning down the road in first for 1 second before the engine limiter kicks in and cuts the engine. :like:

OP
OP
mstngjpm1

mstngjpm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Fastback Auto
True enough. Now that my car has ticked over 2000 kms, I notice that it is much more likely to kick down into first anyway without using paddles. I would not be surprised if the ECU was designed to limit these kick downs into first, until sufficient kms were done. Not unreasonable really.......
Sponsored