Sponsored

Scratch on rear trunk cover, fix? Replace?

zsz1992418

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Triple Yellow 10AT, 301A, PP, Active Exhaust, Magneride
Hey guys, notice the quite deep scratch on the trunk cover.
IMG_4674.JPG

Is this a plastic, or also part of the paint?
What's the best way to fix this, money wise?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The part is ABS plastic.

If the scratch is deep enough that your fingernail gets caught in it, it won’t buff out easily at all. There are specific polishes/compounds for ABS or plastic panels, but those are used for surface swirls or very light spider webbing type of scuffs.

Those panels are all over eBay if you need a replacement, far less than Dealer cost. Some folks have posted them here in the classifieds section too.

OP
OP

zsz1992418

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
The part is ABS plastic.

If the scratch is deep enough that your fingernail gets caught in it, it won’t buff out easily at all. There are specific polishes/compounds for ABS or plastic panels, but those are used for surface swirls or very light spider webbing type of scuffs.

Those panels are all over eBay if you need a replacement, far less than Dealer cost. Some folks have posted them here in the classifieds section too.
Great, thanks. That match my guess: not easy to fix/the cost of fix is much higher than simply replace it.
I am a noob in car world, let me ask another question.
Does the replacement has to be an OEM part? Or simply I shop around ebay and find a seller with good reputation?

B0SS603

@dib_5.0
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacques
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Great, thanks. That match my guess: not easy to fix/the cost of fix is much higher than simply replace it.
I am a noob in car world, let me ask another question.
Does the replacement has to be an OEM part? Or simply I shop around ebay and find a seller with good reputation?
Nothing ever has to be OEM, but you get what you pay for. Personally I buy OEM unless the other third party part manufacturer has a good reputation.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
That part in excellent condition, being sold privately (not via Ford Dealer parts) is anywhere from $75-$100, excluding any shipping costs. There’s a few listed in the exterior classified section on here if you need one. Look for the keywords “decklid panel” as that is what most are calling that part.

Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
That piece is a pain in the ass. I don't think that'll buff at all since it seems like it's past the outer plastic. Might just try cleaning it and going over it with a Sharpie pen or something. Or just try a few weird things before you spend money on a replacement. Nobody will likely notice it unless they're up close looking for it, especially with how dirty those panels get.

OP
OP

zsz1992418

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
That piece is a pain in the ass. I don't think that'll buff at all since it seems like it's past the outer plastic. Might just try cleaning it and going over it with a Sharpie pen or something. Or just try a few weird things before you spend money on a replacement. Nobody will likely notice it unless they're up close looking for it, especially with how dirty those panels get.
Yeah, I am very surprised how quick those black panel get dirty.
One day I wash my car before went to my office and park it in an open area. And the panel get quite a lot dirt when I get off work and pick the car. It's just several hours.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Yeah, I am very surprised how quick those black panel get dirty.
One day I wash my car before went to my office and park it in an open area. And the panel get quite a lot dirt when I get off work and pick the car. It's just several hours.
It's just a tough combination of vehicle aerodynamics causing the air filling the void of the vehicle's movement to come back right on that piece and the glossy plastic that literally screams "HEY I'M DIRTY!" the second something gets on it. How did you get a scratch there anyway?

Not sure if it'd blend in but maybe a thin strip of glossy black vinyl would cover it up.

JimsFury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT (Grabber Lime), 1996 Ford Ranger
Hey guys, notice the quite deep scratch on the trunk cover.
IMG_4674.JPG

Is this a plastic, or also part of the paint?
What's the best way to fix this, money wise?

I just bought my new Mustang GT 3 weeks ago. I noticed my decklid panel had a crack in it right about the "T", I took it back and they replaced it on Thursday after the new part had came in.
Sponsored