Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
With today's news that the EV SUV is going to use Mustang styling cues, I need something to get excited about. Here's a snippet of info from an article relating to that car

https://medium.com/live-electric/th...-generation-of-electric-vehicles-2f105026012f

By Darren Palmer, Ford Team Edison Global Product Development

"You’d think after 28 years of working for the same company that nothing would surprise me. I’ve been fortunate enough to work for Ford across many amazing teams on many exciting assignments, most recently leading development of the next-generation Mustang"

One would assume though that development of the next-generation Mustang is ongoing........in fact, you could assume it's just started! So, does someone else fill his shoes whilst he now works on the EV SUV? Whatever, at least its good to hear something of the next-gen :)

Eh... a “Team Edison” product development Engineer leading the development of the next-gen Mustang? Mustang EV?

No, please! :( we are not ready for that just yet.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I've been meaning to post this for a while......

GM recently sent out an email to some Camaro owners, asking them what sort of engine options they'd choose for a future Camaro. Of course, I expect Ford to be one step ahead of them, but it'll be interesting to see what comes to pass for both cars :)

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE

GM recently sent out an email to some Camaro owners, asking them what sort of engine options they'd choose for a future Camaro. Of course, I expect Ford to be one step ahead of them, but it'll be interesting to see what comes to pass for both cars :)

I don't think this is for the 2020 or 2021 model years. Next Camaro is not due at earliest until CY 2021, if at all. I trust there will still be a business case for the 7th generation Camaro, but will it involve serious cost cutting is the question? Maybe the CT5 Cadillac architecture can be leveraged for it? I cannot imagine sales will improve with MY 2019, let alone 2020 after that facelift. I won't even get into reception of the facelift S550 II, but even that is selling better than the current Camaro that was designed back in late 2012 (on the feedback of 5th gen owners).

BTW, I had the weirdest nightmare last night. I was invited to a focus group/consumer clinic and we were shown a 1:1 clay/fibreglass of the "S650" (and some other future Ford vehicles), unveiled to a room full of both excitement and disappointment. Showcased in Magnetic paint, evolutionary body with un-Mustang-like extra thin taillights and round headlights up front. A black leather interior on the mock-up, with a larger interior SYNC screen in the center, and GT-like DCT gearbox (I forgot the interior details even).

In the "dream", I stupidly tried to take pics with my phone, but struggling with my glitchy phone menu allowed enough time to get caught and scolded by staff (plus my phone confiscated). After they wheeled the (now covered) cars away, I later saw my images captured nothing worthwhile and now began to struggle with remembering what I saw and threw a fit in disappointment. Then I woke up and was really pissed it wasn't even real. I must be getting really desperate.:crazy:

Honestly what is it going to look like, without becoming ultra-expensive?

Ironically, I discovered a friend of mine (design engineer, BS in Mech) in Dearborn has been working on the team for the next Mustang. Nothing worthy to hear yet, as even while drunk at a wedding, he gushed over my car, yet adamantly refused to talk about anything regarding further details and kept changing the subject. Must not trust me. Eventually I'll get him to spill.:devil:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ironically, I discovered a friend of mine (design engineer, BS in Mech) in Dearborn has been working on the team for the next Mustang. Nothing worthy to hear yet, as even while drunk at a wedding, he gushed over my car, yet adamantly refused to talk about anything regarding further details and kept changing the subject. Must not trust me. Eventually I'll get him to spill.:devil:
Keep working on him :like:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

Take with a grain of salt and a heavy dose of skepticism. I’ve had some tangential involvement in similar exercises during my last few years at GM. This is put out there to gauge customer interest in different powertrain content, but the options as tested are never really exact. I was involved in one for trucks a few years ago. My involvement was to help the survey designers configure several realistic displacements, technology content, and outputs of 4-cylinder engines for comparison to existing 6-cylinder applications. This was to test whether displacement, output, presence or lack of a turbo mattered and if so, how much. When all the smoke cleared, Silverado and Sierra get a 4-cylinder this year, but not as was specced when I helped input for the survey. So....will Camaro get a hybrid? Probably. Mustang is getting one, Porsche’s are getting them, GT-R is getting one. Will it be one of the choices in the survey? Probably not. Something similar, but probably not exact.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Had this idea back in 2017...
13081829_10206713844664527_1515899599_n.jpg

Attachments

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

I don't think this is for the 2020 or 2021 model years. Next Camaro is not due at earliest until CY 2021, if at all. I trust there will still be a business case for the 7th generation Camaro, but will it involve serious cost cutting is the question? Maybe the CT5 Cadillac architecture can be leveraged for it? I cannot imagine sales will improve with MY 2019, let alone 2020 after that facelift. I won't even get into reception of the facelift S550 II, but even that is selling better than the current Camaro that was designed back in late 2012 (on the feedback of 5th gen owners).
With camaro sales so bad I don't think there's a business case for making it a hybrid let alone a 7th gen.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
As long as the Mustang lineage keeps going and
always a new variation on the horizon for us enthusiasts
to enjoy, God Bless them!!!
BUT,If you look at Mustang sales since the production of the S550 sales are down 43%. NOT a good sign of things to come !!

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
For the year so far, Chevrolet Camaro sales have slid roughly 28 percent, which is about three times greater than the decline in sportscar sales overall.
U.S. sales of the Ford Mustang through the end of August are pretty much dead even with where they were a year prior, down roughly a percent at 55,849 units

(Source: Automotive News)
BUT,If you look at Mustang sales since the production of the S550 sales are down 43%. NOT a good sign of things to come !!

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The whole "SaLeS aRe DoWn!!!!" thing has been cracking me up lately. So many people quoting faulty statistics just because they read a shitty misleading headline LMAO

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
It wouldn't surprise me to see them put all their effort into the chassis for the Explorer and "make it work" for the Mustang. If that makes sense. Hacket wants to sell SUV's, I could see him taking the approach that the Mustang name will sell itself, especially considering the Camaro really isn't much competition and Dodge continues running an outdated chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.