Status
Not open for further replies.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t buy a PP car to track it. I wanted a more fun street car without the fuss. If I was buying a car to track (wish I had such a luxury) I’d have deeper pockets and could add / change whatever was needed to get it reliable and competitive. I get it though, things like this does make bench racing a bit embarrasing when stock to stock comparos have sizable margin. I prefer to not worry about those things and leave racing to racers. Most of my friends don’t know or care about magazine tests. The litmus test for me is: “Is this a fun car?”.

I talked to a lady today who complimented my Mustang and proceeded to tell me about the ‘69 Mustang in her family. She said, “I think the engine is a 351 Cleveland? Sure is a fun car”. I was like :shock:
That is a lot of car owners, they do not focus on the minutiae, but simply enjoy the experience.
Sponsored

azelmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2 RC, 18 BMW 430i, 2022 C8 Z51 (on order)
It depends on the track too, I raced my PP2 on a short track where there was a lot of accelerating and shifting and it did over heat (stock fluid). Next time I was on a long track, third gear all the way around accept for long straight where I had to shift into 4th, no over heating or even close to it (BG Fluid installed). Did the new oil make a difference, probably some but I think it’s the short tracks that heat it up with the extra shifting.

I love it though, way better than my PP1 was around the track. I purposely bought this car for racing and the occasional weekend driving. Didn’t want a Camaro and the GT350 was more money. If occasionally I’m on a short track and it overheats, so be it, I still get enough time trial laps in to be competitive. I live in AZ too, yeah it’s hot outside, however an abundance of our race season is during our awesome winters.

I will say that the ZL1-1LE with track package is one bad ass track car, that is what my brother races, very few cars keep up with it. My PP2 hangs with him in the corners but there is no way I can keep up with its 650hp.

Who cares what magazines say, I don’t buy cars because of their reviews or tests, I buy what I like and do what I want with it.

Peace ✌

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
it tells you that Ford does not know how to engineer performance cars that can be run hard.
Dumbest statement of the year right there. Wrap the exhaust where it comes close to the diff and be done with it.

OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
Dumbest statement of the year right there. Wrap the exhaust where it comes close to the diff and be done with it.
And you know that this will solve the problem, how exactly?

OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
The tires on a 1LE are not that far behind SC2s. Sorry.
Yes they are. Because I lapped on 2 1LEs, same day, same track one with the GY one with Cup2. Cup2 is ~1 sec/mile faster.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
No amount of posts or debates will convince Ford to add coolers to cater to the less than 1% of buyers who plan on going to a track with turns. They don’t care.
Ridiculous comment. Of course if the embarrassment gets loud enough Ford responds.

Explain to us why they added coolers to the GT350 for the 1% (to use your figure) of the buyers who plan to go to a track with turns?

OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
So now diff coolers only work on the 1LE?
Nope. But diff cooler PLUS transmission cooler PLUS oil cooler, properly engineered from the factory are known to work.

When I posted many months ago that Ford leaving out the transmission and diff cooler was likely to lead to overheating, there was a chorus of how the Mustang diff/tranny would never overheat.

Now the diff is proven to overheat and prevent the car from running. Fix the diff overheating with a cooler, and you will simply find out what the next overheating point it - likely the tranny. Fix that with a cooler and you will find out the next one.

It is amazing how people casually throw the "put a cooler on the diff and call it a day".

If only engineering race track solutions were that easy!!!!

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
F all that...$40 fluid change and $30 exhaust wrap around the diff and it keeps at bay the limp mode.

Does the diff still run pretty hot? Probably. Is it a band-aid fix? Most definitely. Do I really care? Not a single bit.

My car is out there almost every other weekend during the summer, and usually pulling DOUBLE duty of 25 minute sessions with my buddy co-driving...and I have yet to see the overheating message in the dash.
And you know that this will solve the problem, how exactly?
Right there is why I didn't mention this. It's been used, it's been proven to work in most cases. But Baron will never believe that, he'd rather bitch about a $900 diff cooler

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
When I posted many months ago that Ford leaving out the transmission and diff cooler was likely to lead to overheating, there was a chorus of how the Mustang diff/tranny would never overheat.

Now the diff is proven to overheat and prevent the car from running. Fix the diff overheating with a cooler, and you will simply find out what the next overheating point it - likely the tranny. Fix that with a cooler and you will find out the next one.
Holy fuck, you're pretentious. No, no one was saying the diff would "never overheat". What we were saying is that the solution is quite simple, and if you're going to find such a minute reason to bitch about it, you should just stop and buy the fucking Camaro already. And no, the next overheating point won't be the trans... people have been racing MT82s with no coolers for years. That's simply an absurd claim and shows your lack of experience on the subject

OP
OP

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
No, no one was saying the diff would "never overheat".
Sorry. Must people were saying exactly that.

But that doesn't matter.

The GT350 overheated. Ford fixed it.

The Mustang GT PP2 which comes from the factory only with tires suitable exclusively for tracking overheats also.

No big deal. Ford can fix it. So long as prospective buyers are aware of the issue they can make their decisions.

Wait until Ford fixes it. Attempt to engineer a fix themselves. Don't track the car and resort to only drive it on the street on Cup 2s out of their recommended temp range.

Up to the buyer. The info is out. Informed decisions can be made.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I could honestly see Ford adding coolers to the PP2 for 2020 considering the GT350 update will be coming in late MY 2019. Then maybe the PP2 won't be stepping on the GT350's toes so much and they'll be able to give the PP2 what it needs to succeed.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yes they are. Because I lapped on 2 1LEs, same day, same track one with the GY one with Cup2. Cup2 is ~1 sec/mile faster.
What does "1sec/mile faster" mean?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
F all that...$40 fluid change and $30 exhaust wrap around the diff and it keeps at bay the limp mode.

Does the diff still run pretty hot? Probably. Is it a band-aid fix? Most definitely. Do I really care? Not a single bit.

My car is out there almost every other weekend during the summer, and usually pulling DOUBLE duty of 25 minute sessions with my buddy co-driving...and I have yet to see the overheating message in the dash.
Tell us what you're driving, and what track you're driving it at. Need more info.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
What does "1sec/mile faster" mean?
Yeah, I have no idea what he is talking about. He doesn't talk like he actually races much. 1sec/mile means nothing on a track. Every track is different, and 1 mile can have any number of straight/curve combinations. Amateur weekend racer anecdote is worth jack on the internet.
Let's see some video proof.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I have no idea what he is talking about. He doesn't talk like he actually races much. 1sec/mile means nothing on a track. Every track is different, and 1 mile can have any number of straight/curve combinations. Amateur weekend racer anecdote is worth jack on the internet.
Let's see some video proof.
He claims he's an HPDE instructor :LOL:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.