Transmission fill plug location ?

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I am having trouble identifying the fill plug... I see a bulky shinny plug somewhere further up at passenger side, with a green marker on it, is that it ? Looks like an allen key of 8 or something?
PS. I am trying to do it now, running out of daylight soon, a quick reply is appreciated...
Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a pic of it.
20180920_165932.jpg

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Many thanks! I knew it had to be similar to drain plug...

Sponsored

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Done! Filled with Redline D6 MTF. It actually feels smoother from 1st to second, and it really glides into higher gears. Highly recommended.

Cheers

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Done! Filled with Redline D6 MTF. It actually feels smoother from 1st to second, and it really glides into higher gears. Highly recommended.

Cheers
I run Royal Purple Syncromax, but had a similar reaction when I changed from the ATF. Been very happy with it.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I run Royal Purple Syncromax, but had a similar reaction when I changed from the ATF. Been very happy with it.
Yes. I used to run exactly the same in my E46 M3, it's a great fluid. It was hard to get at some point overseas, and I switched to Redline and had good results also... Forgot to say; the one I pulled out (OEM fill), was also red in color. But it was very dirty, and also found a few shavings of metal on the bottom of the tray. I am happy I got those out :)

TexBB

'18 GT350 Leadfoot Grey
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350, chassis J0859
Yes. I used to run exactly the same in my E46 M3, it's a great fluid. It was hard to get at some point overseas, and I switched to Redline and had good results also... Forgot to say; the one I pulled out (OEM fill), was also red in color. But it was very dirty, and also found a few shavings of metal on the bottom of the tray. I am happy I got those out :)
What is the refill capacity for our transmission w/ cooler? Getting ready to change my fluid, looking at both fluids. I was on redline's website and they say the redline D6 ATF is not recommended for the Shelby manual tyranny? I did find the royal purple on Amazon.

In the earlier post you referred to Redline D6 MTF. I don't find that fluid?

Last edited:

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What is the refill capacity for our transmission w/ cooler? Getting ready to change my fluid, looking at both fluids. I was on redline's website and they say the redline D6 ATF is not recommended for the Shelby manual tyranny? I did find the royal purple on Amazon.

I believe it's 3.2 or so. Get 4 quarts and fill till it's full .

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Correct. The owners manual is wrong for a cooler car. It’s 3+ quarts to bring it level to the bottom of the fill hole.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
From the Helm:
Capacities

Description
Liters
Transmission Fluid (no cooler) 2.5 qt ( 2.4 L)
Transmission Fluid (with cooler) 3.3 qt ( 3.1 L)

NOTICE: Vehicles equipped with a transmission fluid cooler must be started and run for 2 minutes with the clutch engaged (clutch pedal released) to allow the transmission fluid to circulate through the transmission fluid cooling system or the transmission will be underfilled.

Start the engine and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes with the clutch engaged.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

What do you mean it is NOT recommended. It is what they DO recommend if you search for "find products for my vehicle". Even D4 ATF would work great, but this D6 is a newer formula... and 75w85 gear oil for diff (which contains friction modifier, so you don't have to add anything). I've been using Redline for years in all my cars, never had any problems, shifting is butter smooth.

TexBB

'18 GT350 Leadfoot Grey
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350, chassis J0859
What do you mean it is NOT recommended. It is what they DO recommend if you search for "find products for my vehicle". Even D4 ATF would work great, but this D6 is a newer formula... and 75w85 gear oil for diff (which contains friction modifier, so you don't have to add anything). I've been using Redline for years in all my cars, never had any problems, shifting is butter smooth.
Not trying to be argumentative but on redline's website, entering in 2017 gt350, 5.2 liter, 6 sp tremec the only two products listed for 'my car' were water wetter radiator fluid and a fuel system cleaner.

Looking further on this forum I have found (should have researched earlier) that ford requires Mercon LV for the trans. I did find Redline D6 meets or exceeds the specified fluid. The Redline D6 is the fluid I'll be using at my first change. The forum and this thread have been helpful!
Sponsored