Sponsored

Can my GT do what John Wick's 69 did?

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Depends how hard your drive, if you're starting you generally will not be able to put any significant wear on them, especially during one event - but in general if anything sees wear - it's tires.
Not sure where in KY are you, but CKR region has events in Lexington I believe, KY in Louisville and if you're in Northern part - come over to our Cincy SCCA events.
I'd love to try it. I heard they have events in Lexington but I don't really know anyone that does it. I think there's a couple guys in my mustang club facebook group that have been out there. I'm in Grayson so I'm about 90 minutes from downtown Lexington and a couple hours from Cincinnati. I'm sure I would look like a hack but it looks very fun.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'd love to try it. I heard they have events in Lexington but I don't really know anyone that does it. I think there's a couple guys in my mustang club facebook group that have been out there. I'm in Grayson so I'm about 90 minutes from downtown Lexington and a couple hours from Cincinnati. I'm sure I would look like a hack but it looks very fun.
http://www.ckrscca.org/ - looks like they have an event this Sunday - Cindy Duncan - my friend and National Champion is FSL driving a Mustang runs their autocross series - they have good novice program and will make you welcome and help out figuring things out. Last thing you should worry about is looking like a hack. Everyone did their first event at some point.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
http://www.ckrscca.org/ - looks like they have an event this Sunday - Cindy Duncan - my friend and National Champion is FSL driving a Mustang runs their autocross series - they have good novice program and will make you welcome and help out figuring things out. Last thing you should worry about is looking like a hack. Everyone did their first event at some point.
thanks! I'll look into going out there sometime.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Can a Volkswagon Beetle do what “Herbie the Love Bug” does in the Disney movies?

:cwl::crackup:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
It was mostly driver technique, techniques more related to the show-off sport of drifting than to the serious side of corner-carving (these being the smooth un-flashy skills that are good to have in your street-driving playbook). The only mechanical things I could see that wouldn't have been OE was a set of traction bars to help control that leaf-spring axle and what looked like headers.
Seems they may have modified the e brake as well, as I doubt the stock one would be strong enough to lock up the drive wheels at 60+mph. That being said, a stock S550 e brake could likely handle that task

I took my 8 days old car autocrossing putting 14 runs on it and guess what - it's fine.
I took my car to a road course about 300 miles away, then went to the lakehouse another 200 miles the same way, and drove back home in my first week owning my S550 lol

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Seems they may have modified the e brake as well, as I doubt the stock one would be strong enough to lock up the drive wheels at 60+mph.
Probably true. 60's brake systems in general weren't anything to write home about, and I think even today the serious drifters use hand-operated brakes that are much more capable than any OE setup. They might be visible in the Hoonigan videos; it's been a while since I've watched any of them so I'm not sure any more.

But from where I'm sitting as a strictly "grip-style" driver, tossing the tail end loose with the brakes is show-off stuff that looks flashy and all (and does take skill). But it's really the slow and less stable way 'round a corner. I can't think of any good reason (short of "the poo has hit the fan") that you'd use a P-brake in a RWD car at a track day.

Norm

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
A freakin Miata can pull those moves off on a wet tarmac. Its mostly driver technique and RWD, but just try to imagine John Wick in a Miata. Does not compute!

Autocross is a great place to experiment with hard driving. Everybody looks like a hack when they start out., don't worry, nobody expects a novice to drive like a stunt driver on their first attempt.

dave11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Frontier & 2014 Mercedes Benz
On burnouts - once you've done one or two decent ones, there's nothing left to prove. It's been over 50 years since I did my last one of those. It's maybe been 50 hours since the last "fast corner" or "hard braking".

Norm
I snapped an axle on the last burnout I did. Saved a lot on tires.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Ummmmm, you don't want to become a youtube sensation like this a-hole.

Sponsored

P2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red Mustang GT Premium
Yep, your car can do that... but why would you? If you should lose control and wreck it or blow your engine just how are you going to explain that to your insurance company? That's a conversation I don't think I would want to have.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, your car can do that... but why would you? If you should lose control and wreck it or blow your engine just how are you going to explain that to your insurance company? That's a conversation I don't think I would want to have.
That's an awful stance for someone who owns a performance car.

You're fine to do any of that stuff, it's what the car is made to do. Just please get some instruction before trying

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's an awful stance for someone who owns a performance car.

You're fine to do any of that stuff, it's what the car is made to do. Just please get some instruction before trying
Sorry, I can't get on board with the kinds of show-off driving depicted in those videos either.

Any performance driving instruction needs to be about getting the "grip style" driving down pat before even thinking about drifting.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Dang! Fuddy duddies around here! I really liked that scene in the movie. Nice nod to Vanishing Point, but with Keanu not going the suicide/giving up route. Choosing to channel the anger instead. All good, childish motorhead fun IMO.

Of course no one but an idiot would drift the car around on public roads, but sliding around in an abandoned parking lot is not so bad.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I can't get on board with the kinds of show-off driving depicted in those videos either.

Any performance driving instruction needs to be about getting the "grip style" driving down pat before even thinking about drifting.
I've met many instructors who, given a safe environment, prefer to lead with teaching these "Show-off" driving methods... What good is it to teach someone how to drive at the limits if they don't know where that limit is or how to handle it once they pass that limit? Of course, this type of driving on the streets is idiotic, but I personally think ANY kind of performance oriented driving on the streets is stupid (looking at you, "canyon carvers")
Sponsored