Sponsored

New Mustang S550 Docol R8 Roll Bar from CMS!

CompetitionMotorsport

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
competitionmotorsport.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Competition Motorsport would like to introduce our newest roll bar product: the CMS Performance Roll Bar for the S550 Mustang (and the GT350/350R). It is a bolt-in four-point roll bar made from Docol R8 advanced high-strength steel (AHSS), fully TIG welded, for the strongest & lightest possible roll bar. CMS professionally powder coats each roll bar to your specification -- any color you like, including color-matched Mustang colors -- and ships anywhere in the lower 48, all included in the price. We've been building bolt-in roll bars for years for the Porsche market -- GT3, GT3RS, Cayman GT4 and 987 Cayman -- and with the arrival of our own Shelby GT350, we wanted to use the expertise we've gained building roll bars and race cars to create a premium product for the latest Mustang coupe.

Fitment is guaranteed to be drop-in. We can't stand having to wrestle roll bars into cars, so we've perfected our manufacturing to the point where everything lines up perfectly. Installation takes a couple guys about three hours. You can check out the instructions HERE.

We build all our roll bars (and race car chassis, for that matter) using Docol R8, an advanced high-strength steel that is 10-15% stronger than 4130 CrMo and about 40% stronger than mild DOM steel used in a lot of roll bars. Docol R8 doesn't crack under impact, and doesn't get brittle at the welds like 4130. All of that lets us use 1.75" x .095" tubing to bring down weight while maintaining superior strength, impact absorption, rigidity, and longevity. As a result, the CMS GT350 roll bar weighs just 52 lbs. despite using all 1-3/4" tubing for a beefy look befitting the GT350.

As an introductory offer, from now through October 17, Mustang6G members get $300 off a CMS Performance Roll Bar. You can PM us for details or give us a call at (844) 438-7244. Just mention you saw us on Mustang6G!

Here are a few photos (in Race Red) to give you an idea (there are more at competitionmotorsport.com):
GT350_Roll_Bar_Red_Front1.jpg
GT350_Roll_Bar_Red_Rear_1.jpg
GT350_Roll_Bar_Install_1.jpg
Sponsored

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
needs a chrome moly version

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Need a tall version. No way I fit with the seat that far forward, and that upright.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CompetitionMotorsport

CompetitionMotorsport

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Need a tall version. No way I fit with the seat that far forward, and that upright.
The seats both go all the way back with the roll bar installed, using a relatively normal seat-back incline -- not unusually upright, but of course not fully reclined. I don't doubt how tall you are, but I'd be surprised if you're too tall to fit under those circumstances. The photos we took are not with the seats all the way back, they're where I drive the car (I'm 6'0").

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Long torso 6'4".

Can we get a picture that better shows the relative position of the roll bar to the B pillar? It looks roughly centered on it. And I am pretty sure the back of my head is a bit behind the B pillar in my normal driving position.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Just out of curiosity, why do you think so? (Not picking an internet forum battle, genuinely curious as to why.)
Probably because your fancy steel isn't NHRA approved. If anyone ever checked the roll bar on a 10 second car...

Do you have any pics how the rear attaches? I see seat delete required, but looks to mount in the backseat, and not the trunk.

OP
OP
CompetitionMotorsport

CompetitionMotorsport

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Probably because your fancy steel isn't NHRA approved. If anyone ever checked the roll bar on a 10 second car...

Do you have any pics how the rear attaches? I see seat delete required, but looks to mount in the backseat, and not the trunk.
I'm pretty sure NHRA allows Docol R8 as long as it conforms to the same specifications laid out for 4130 CrMo. Of course, if anyone prefers having a roll bar made in 4130 we can certainly do that. The manufacturing process is the same, just contact us and we'll be happy to oblige!

The rear (kickers) do attach in the back seat not the trunk. So it's possible to leave the rear seat backs in place with the CMS roll bar installed. In that case, a rear seat delete is required. The rear seat and roll bar share one stud on each side, which should be long enough to accommodate both. The seat backs won't sit 100% flush the way the do with no roll bar installed.
GT350_Install_6.jpg

OP
OP
CompetitionMotorsport

CompetitionMotorsport

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Long torso 6'4".

Can we get a picture that better shows the relative position of the roll bar to the B pillar? It looks roughly centered on it. And I am pretty sure the back of my head is a bit behind the B pillar in my normal driving position.
The picture below doesn't show it perfectly, but the main hoop lines up closer to the rear edge of the B-pillar. I don't want to say you can't put the seat in a position to touch it -- you certainly can if you move it far back it is on its track and/or recline it a lot. That's not how most people will drive, but it's certainly possible!
GT350_Install_17.jpg

Sponsored

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Would really like to see an install video. So it looks like weight, color options and possibly installation may be an advantage over the "other guy" (who does a 4 point in Red or Gray). Without being disparaging are there other advantages, i.e. mounting points, cross member design, etc. I believe you both are using the same front mounting point, but not sure about the back.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The picture below doesn't show it perfectly, but the main hoop lines up closer to the rear edge of the B-pillar. I don't want to say you can't put the seat in a position to touch it -- you certainly can if you move it far back it is on its track and/or recline it a lot. That's not how most people will drive, but it's certainly possible!
Thanks.

OP
OP
CompetitionMotorsport

CompetitionMotorsport

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Would really like to see an install video. So it looks like weight, color options and possibly installation may be an advantage over the "other guy" (who does a 4 point in Red or Gray). Without being disparaging are there other advantages, i.e. mounting points, cross member design, etc. I believe you both are using the same front mounting point, but not sure about the back.
We have discussed an installation video, but it seems like there are already a fair number of installation videos out there and ours doesn't differ significantly from installation of other roll bars. The main differences (installation-wise), are drilling the HSS crossmember (others don't require that, we do) and not drilling into the trunk floor (others do require that, we don't). So, video is on the schedule but probably not for a month or so.

We believe the mounting points we use (attaching the main hoop to the front HSS crossmember, using existing holes/studs for the kickers) result in a stronger overall chassis integration than other designs. We also think the X brace in the main hoop is safer overall, particularly for cars carrying a passenger (instructor or other ride-along). We mean no disparagement of other products; we believe they're good, we believe we're better. Add the weight saving and color choices and we think ours is a compelling addition to the choices you have. Thanks for asking!

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
can I ask why you gave priority to the horizontal bar instead of the diag?

Most sanctioning bodies require the diagonal from drivers head to pass floor to be a single, unbent bar.

OP
OP
CompetitionMotorsport

CompetitionMotorsport

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That's a great question! We designed the roll bar that way for one primary reason: we have found that, when using a full X in the main hoop, it is stronger when the four "legs" of the X converge at the center of a solid horizontal bar as opposed to building it around a solid diagonal. The legs form upright and inverted triangles that reinforce one another and are further supported by the single horizontal; they don't rely solely on the welds for strength. That's not the case using a single diagonal as a starting place. The design we use also provides equal protection for any passenger.

On the other hand, when building a roll bar or cage that only has one diagonal, the preferred method is to use a single bar for the diagonal (that's how we do single-brace main hoops in roll cages) although sanctioning bodies such as NASA & SCCA also allow a single-piece horizontal and welded diagonal, as long as the welded diagonal forms a straight line.

Bear in mind that there aren't really sanctioning body rules for four-point roll bars. However, we took what we've learned building full cages and applied it to all our roll bars, including the X design which we prefer over the single-diagonal in terms of maintaining the overall integrity of the main hoop in an impact.
Sponsored