Sponsored

Road and Track Article on the PP2 - It's not a track car

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Well, for about 15-20 minutes on the track... (I keed, I keed...)
Well even one session would be nice but I might need more time to figure out the car since it would be a bit different.

Randys hot lap time on Laguna Seca

qoute " for me a really strong drivers car on track" "really enjoyable and satisfaying experience"

Skärmklipp.PNG

You are lucky over there to be able to get this car for the money you have to spend :)

Some reference times in the proximity of the PP2 laptime, 1LE still quicker
Is there a lap time of the PP1 from Randy?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Some reference times in the proximity of the PP2 laptime, 1LE still quicker
Quicker at Laguna Seca, slower at VIR

Not at Laguna Seca, but at Big Willow. I'd expect the PP1 to be in the 1:41-1:43 range at LS

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well even one session would be nice but I might need more time to figure out the car since it would be a bit different.

Not sure if there is a time posted with him in the PP1 I believe they drove it on Willow springs.

One can clearly see the body roll is much less compared to the video with the PP1.

I want that steering rack and magneride mapping on mine....

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Not sure if there is a time posted with him in the PP1 I believe they drove it on Willow springs.

One can clearly see the body roll is much less compared to the video with the PP1.

I want that steering rack and magneride mapping on mine....
Couldn't you control body roll with the GT350 lowering springs?

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Couldn't you control body roll with the GT350 lowering springs?

To some extent, the PP2 has stiffer sway bars as well as the re-mapped magneride I believe this in combo is where the magic happens

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
Randy had some issue with the car. But historically I think hes a Mustang 'guy', and tends to find something good to say about the car when he can. But it wasn't all praise.

"Well we got a Mustang GT Performance Pack 2. Racer in me, I would put a little more anti-sway bar in it to tame a little too much over-steer in the entry phase and when I go to power. The other thing frustrating from this Mustang was that the AdvanceTrac, the stability control, has a little bit mind of its own. We were able to turn it off, but it comes back in. So the AdvanceTrac was trying actually trying to cover for that over-steer that I was feeling. I think that if we put a bigger sway bar in it, we balance the car and the AdvanceTrac wouldnt even want to come on. Cause in a perfect handling car you barely need stability control! "

"Brakes strong! Firm pedal. The Michelin tires on this thing, really really sticky. A lot of tire grip."

"The engine: better than ever! It Revs out! I really love his new version of the coyote."

He goes on, and overall he liked the car. A car he DID NOT LIKE was that Aston Martin. He did like the Mustang, but he also complained about the stability control and what he thinks was causing the over-steer issue which was the sway bar. Unfortunately, the rest of the MT staff did not have the same praise. They said the car front and rear didn't feel like they were doing the same thing. They have said this about the stock Mustang GT PP car in the past. When they reviewed the GTPP2 car a few months back, I don't remember them saying that. Unlike Randy, I feel like the rest of the MT staff don't really like Mustangs and judge them as such.

GTPP2 ranked very high when comparing what your getting vs what your asking for. As far as their objective numbers test: 0-60, braking, figure-8, the Mustang ranked lower middle of the pack at 7.

At the end of it all, car placed dead last. DEAD.LAST. They liked the Kia Stinger GT better than the Mustang GT Performance Pkg 2.

Very disappointed in this car.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Blah Blah Blah

At the end of it all, car placed dead last. DEAD.LAST. They liked the Kia Stinger GT better than the Mustang GT Performance Pkg 2.

Pretty sure the dead last was due to the tires that really should never be on a daily driven vehicle. Which is quite true but easily remedied.

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure the dead last was due to the tires that really should never be on a daily driven vehicle. Which is quite true but easily remedied.
They def took demerits on the tires. But MT has a bias against Mustangs in the past. Most they hate, tho they love the GT350R. The Z28 won BDC and it has an R compound tire. That car trams terribly from what I understand yet it still won. My thinking is that they feel Ford cheated on the PP2 by throwing DOT slicks on it and not much else. Vs the Z28 had a bunch of stuff on it besides just some R compounds.

MT also hates Corvettes. They ran the Z06 vette with Z07 pkg and that had cup 2 tires. stupid fast lap. They still hated it.

Sponsored

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, C&D overheated the PP2 car during the lightning lap. At least in their hands, it needs coolers.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Ford is crushed, I'm sure.

Some serious butt hurt on the forums over that car lately, and all for nothing. Per Ford themselves, it is NOT a track car. So people take it to the track, and then complain that it isn't a track all-star. :crazy:

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford is crushed, I'm sure.

Some serious butt hurt on the forums over that car lately, and all for nothing. Per Ford themselves, it is NOT a track car. So people take it to the track, and then complain that it isn't a track all-star. :crazy:
LOL, yeah i doubt Ford cares much. They build cars to sell, not win shootouts or magazine comparisons. I get that. However...

No Mustang should EVER...EVER....EVER...loose to a Kia. Period. Was MT overly harsh? Of course. Jonny L seems to only thing of Mustangs as a muscle car good for doing burnouts. He doesn't take them seriously (except the GT350R). His co-host is a euro-snob. But even holding those bias, the Mustang should still be more competitive in the BDC than a Kia Stinger GT.

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
Seems like nonsense that they'd rate the Kia higher. Lots of reviews talk about the excessive body roll and weight of the kia, and how the upcoming g70 genesis is much better. Maybe we should extrapolate that the g70 sedan will be a worlds better 'drivers car' than a extremely fast and 90% well sorted sports coupe?

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like nonsense that they'd rate the Kia higher. Lots of reviews talk about the excessive body roll and weight of the kia, and how the upcoming g70 genesis is much better. Maybe we should extrapolate that the g70 sedan will be a worlds better 'drivers car' than a extremely fast and 90% well sorted sports coupe?
I haven’t driven the car. But I watched the reviews. It does have body roll...so does the Miata. Both of which placed higher. Body roll is not the death kneel. As long as it’s predicatble and doesn’t effect the neutrality of the driving dynamics or unsettle the car too much.

Dead last is just unacceptable period.
41B26F6A-ABA9-45AC-85CF-28A97724D27C.png
Sponsored