Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Full disclosure. I tracked a Whippled 15 and had to do alot of mods and maintenance to keep it running: 3 diffs, lots of trans and diff fluid changes, oil changes every track weekend, engine, lots of aero and cooling mods, brakes(killed base brakes), supercharger, waterpump, etc etc. Put a fresh motor in it after 3 years(2seasons on track) and traded it in for an 18 PP1 Auto.
Primary track car currently is old 2000 Audi 1.8T for amatuer enduros and its getting most free time currently.
When I get spare time this winter, the 2018 will get coolers, FRPP track suspension and other mods. Have a whole GT350 front and rear suspension to swap in when skills get to that level and if motor holds together. After that, GT500, ZL1 1LE, mid engine vette or hellion low mount TT set up on the 18.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I know you mentioned you are not concerned with resale value, but things in life my change and it should be a variable you add to your decision.

With that in mind, any money you put into modding the GT, you'll won't get back.

The 350R will retain better than average value longterm.

The ZL1, not as much as the 350R

If I had a sudden significant pay increase that I was confident is longterm, I'd consider selling my '17 GT for a 350, not and R in my case.

Another option would be to keep the GT and build a dedicated track car, something you can really thrash around. I am more into drag racing, so I think for around $20k I could build a competitive bracket racer, don't know if the same can be said for road track cars.

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This is a Mustang forum but if you are looking for a track car the Zl1 or 1LE is the clear winner, from the testing by the magazines. But for daily driving the Mustang is way better- the ergonomics and visibility so much better. Might be better on the track too? I had a 2017 RS Camaro, V6 with staggered wheels. It was light weight and handled really well. But I had to get rid of it due to a bad automatic 8 speed tranny. I did not want to go through lemon law and I hated the automatic anyway. it was my first automatic (and my last).

I did not think the visibility and ergonomics was that bad until I got my Mustang- wow it's so much easier and more fun to drive than the Camaro was. But there is a sweet spot in there for me regarding Camaros and if not for the bad 8 speed auto, I'd still have mine despite the visibility and ergonomics.

If it was me and having owned both I'd still go with a GT350R.

OP
OP
Thereitis

Thereitis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350/2017 F150 Plat
Hi all, again thanks for the feedback. After emailing/conversing/driving with a few dealers regarding a 350R/ZL 1LE within a 150ish mile radius I decided to go with a ZL1 1LE. The Ford/Ford dealership ADM was the deal breaker. I fully expected/wanted/hoped to walk away with an R. Regardless, I wish you all the best and thanks again.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Hi all, again thanks for the feedback. After emailing/conversing/driving with a few dealers regarding a 350R/ZL 1LE within a 150ish mile radius I decided to go with a ZL1 1LE. The Ford/Ford dealership ADM was the deal breaker. I fully expected/wanted/hoped to walk away with an R. Regardless, I wish you all the best and thanks again.

Did you get the aero package?

OP
OP
Thereitis

Thereitis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oops sorry, not used to the forum layout/response...I'm in the KSA so time and...well, everything is different here. Thanks for the info, are the multimatic dampers something I should look out for? http://www.multimatic.com/dssv-damping-technology/dssv-dampers/ Is there a 'tell' or something of a wear part that I'm unaware of? Thanks for the help!

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Oops sorry, not used to the forum layout/response...I'm in the KSA so time and...well, everything is different here. Thanks for the info, are the multimatic dampers something I should look out for? http://www.multimatic.com/dssv-damping-technology/dssv-dampers/ Is there a 'tell' or something of a wear part that I'm unaware of? Thanks for the help!
Are you buyng it in Saudi Arabia now or are you buying the car in the states and shipping it there? Just wondering what the cost difference is between US and KSA prices.

OP
OP
Thereitis

Thereitis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you buyng it in Saudi Arabia now or are you buying the car in the states and shipping it there? Just wondering what the cost difference is between US and KSA prices.
Hi! No no, I'm an expat in KSA. Price was negotiated in US.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

No but they make the car ride rough on street roads - but are perfect for the track.
Sponsored