Ford GT vs ZR1 at Virginia International Raceway

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
I think you are confusing the Ford GT road car with the purpose built race car carrying the Ford GT name.

I'm sure you don't think the Toyota Camry from Nascar has anything to do with the Toyota Camry street car.
Thank you for setting me straight .... whodathunk?
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It's hard to draw conclusions from journalist drivers who are many seconds off pace. (2.25 seconds off GM's driver & 4.4 seconds off me -the Ford GT did a 2:43.0 on a different day).

Track temps varied greatly that day. Read the last 4 paragraphs on page 9:

https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-revolution-carbon-fiber-wheels/9/

Indeed. And the ZR1 seems to be getting less than stellar reviews in the 2018 best drivers car...

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-corvette-zr1-2018-best-drivers-car-contender/

An interesting quote....

"We were ready to lap the ZR1 at the end of day one at WeatherTech Raceway, but the Chevy team begged for a morning run in the cool, dense air."

And another...
"Randy Pobst reckons that with five days and 10 sets of tires he could shave another second-plus off his lap time. But that would still leave the Corvette 1.5 seconds off the pace of our current leaders."

Chevy knows the ZR1 sucks ass in the heat, and they weaseled there way into changing times.

It looks like they did the same thing at VIR, while the ford GT had to run in the heat of the day...

"At the temps we’re running in, he thinks a 2:39 is where we should land. The quickest we could achieve yesterday was a 2:41.6."
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2019-chevrolet-corvette-zr1-lightning-lap-2018

"Back in November, the weather was much cooler. The GT just couldn’t make the same power this time around in the May heat. The GT was down 6.9 mph on the front straight. On the back straight, the deficit was 3.8 mph."
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2017-ford-gt-lightning-lap-2018

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I think you are confusing the Ford GT road car with the purpose built race car carrying the Ford GT name.
I don't think there is a car on the planet that the street version is as close to the race version as the GT. It was built to be a racecar. The same team developed and built both.

Baron95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I don't think there is a car on the planet that the street version is as close to the race version as the GT. It was built to be a racecar. The same team developed and built both.
You mean kinda how the Porsche GT3/GT3-RS is developed by/with the Porsche factory racing team?

The Ford GT has a completely different aero package, it makes less power and has a lot more cooling/airflow. It is much lighter. Has not of the exhaust crap, has different shocks/tires/springs, etc.

Other than those minor details it is exactly the same as the street car.

You know what would be cool? If C&D pitched the C7.R vs the Porsche RSR vs the Ford GT LM GTE for a comparison test.

Oh, wait. Never mind. I forgot. That is why we have races, with race cars, to watch.

Sponsored

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You mean kinda how the Porsche GT3/GT3-RS is developed by/with the Porsche factory racing team?

The Ford GT has a completely different aero package, it makes less power and has a lot more cooling/airflow. It is much lighter. Has not of the exhaust crap, has different shocks/tires/springs, etc.

You know what would be cool? If C&D pitched the C7.R vs the Porsche RSR vs the Ford GT LM GTE for a comparison test.

Oh, wait. Never mind. I forgot. That is why we have races, with race cars, to watch.
The GT3/RS is still based off a production 911 platform, while the FordGT was built for the GTE/GTLM rulebook and uses the same torsion bar locations (not coil aprings) as the road car as well as the same brand and type of dampers. It's a "no-wavier" car that fits the rules to a T with suspension mounting points almost identical to the road car.

Meanwhile the RSR is mid-engine, uses a SLA front suspension (instead of the road car's struts) different type and brand of suspension and a bunch of other waviers to make an inferior and limited chassis layout be competitive.

BOP evens the playing field and it constantly changes.

I'm looking forward to seeing the mid engine C8 racecar and wish Porsche would make a mid-engine 911 because it would be cool and make the racecar more legitimate.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP

Not exactly, but similar. For instance a 911 annual volume is 10,000+ units a year. That's not high, but its not 250 units a year like the GT either. So from a tooling, production, and platform life cycle stand point, how a Porsche is designed and manufactured is very different. GT and the GTE LM cars are built in the same place, have over 70% commonality from a body perspective, as you mentioned a different aero package, and minor suspension changes.

Furthermore I am pretty sure the GT is the only vehicle with no waivers. It was built to be a racecar, and even being BOPed to death it's performance on the track, and how often its on the podium speaks for itself.

Edit:

I would venture, some drivers and some tracks cannot take full advantage of the integrated aero of the production GT.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
BOP evens the playing field and it constantly changes.
BoP hinders innovation, its a fucking shame really.

I was at the IMSA race at laguna seca two weeks ago. the Ford Gt is low and sleek, the BMW M8 GTE is a fucking boat. how they are in the same class is insane. I guess there are enough bmw nut huggers to make an impact on sales. Hopefully the big ass boat doesnt set a precedence for shitty engineering and relying on BoP to give boats an advantage while the other cars are penalized for being more aerodynamic and lighter.

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
The Z06 and ZR1 has some of the most aggressive compounding of all Cup2s. RE71 and NT01s would be slower on that car.
What tires would you run on that car if you were limited to 200tw?
Sponsored