Sponsored

2012 GT drifts off to the right while driving and goes hard right when launching

coyote__photography

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaleb
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I have a 2012 Mustang GT and when I'm driving at highway speeds I have to turn my steering wheel to the left just to go straight and when I try to launch the car it goes right instead of straight. I got the car aligned and the only thing off is the camber on the front right wheel by a couple tenths of a degree, but the car kept going to the right. My front breaks are very warped and if I go to the top of 4th or into 5th gear the car starts vibrating like a wheel is completely out of balance, but I don't know if that might be the cause or not. Also, when I take the back seats out to race, I can barely hear my gears whining. Does anybody have any ideas on how to get my car going straight again?
Sponsored

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
1st thing to do is replace the warped rotors. Even if that doesn't fix the problem you're asking about, brakes are your number 1 safety feature on the car, driving (and especially racing) the car with brakes at less than 100% effectiveness is just plain dangerous.

Aside from that, warped rotors can cause a number of driving/steering issues, including pulling to one side and odd vibrations. Once you get the rotors replaced I think you'll find at least one of your complaints has been resolved.

1st thing fix what you know to be a problem then evaluate the changes and go from there.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Check your alignment’s thrust angle (needs to be 0.0) and for sure fix your brakes.

Have you installed an aftermarket steering wheel or removed/reinstalled your OEM wheel?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
DItto on thrust angle, and if/when that needs correcting, check steering wheel centering.

I doubt that the rotors are actually physically warped. But they almost certainly have thickness variation and very possibly uneven pad deposits (typically from overheated pads that may have melted a little). Thickness variation is best fixed with new rotors, as simply turning the rotors won't eliminate the hot/hardened spots that are probably causing the thickness variation in the first place. If it's only uneven pad deposits, that can be cleaned up and a fresh set of better pads installed.

Norm

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Try swapping front tires side to side to see if that changes the pull

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score